WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

05 Dodge 3500 trans rebuild time

Dunerking

Reaction score
On my way home from Glamis with my son for our day trip. 3+ hours of cruising 75 mph and exit the freeway to get to the house and notice while the truck was idling it sounded like the bottom end was going to come apart…accelerate away and the rough sound goes away…back into the driveway and notice the same sound going from D to R and park and pop the hood while idling and sounds like the connecting rods are going to shoot out the side of the block…shut it down and pray it’s not catistrophic motor issue. Pull off the inspection cover for the torque converter/flex plate and I’m rewarded with 2 bolts.
I’ve been wanting to do a full trans build on my 05 Dodge 3500 CTD for a number of years but now my hand is forced to move onto this job. Looking for some recommendations for a solid trans shop that is familiar with building solid 48RE trans..ie-torque converter,valve body,billet servo,billet input shafts,etc. I know there will be some sticker shock but I’d rather “buy once cry once”. I was going to call Inglewood Trans( heard that Mike passed away last year),but looking for any other recommendations for shops. I’m in Agua Dulce (Santa Clarita area),but can use my AAA tow good for 200 miles tow. I wanted to use HMSdiesel in Dublin,Ca but it’s outside the tow range. Thanks for all/any help. BBDC2769-69EA-408E-804C-58E3593B70D2.jpeg C784AA6E-A945-49FB-BBB3-DF0A2B3C0AE7.jpeg

hman442

Reaction score
My shop has installed a number of Jasper transmissions in that application with good luck. Three year/100k warranty.

Dunerking

Reaction score
My shop has installed a number of Jasper transmissions in that application with good luck. Three year/100k warranty.
Thanks,when you get a chance would you mind giving the shop info?
Also are these just stock replacement or upgraded rebuild?

v6toy4x

Reaction score
If you have the time, space and patience, you can do it yourself. Goerend has all the parts you want from triple disc converter, 300M shafts and a VB according to your use. With the NP271 transfer case you can get a 300M-29 spline rear trans output and T case input, along with 300M input and intermediate shafts

Photo May 29, 2 30 37 PM_preview.jpeg
Photo May 20, 7 53 39 PM_preview.jpeg
sonnax 47re input-2.JPG

Or you can order a nice unit from one of these vendors and install yourself.
I have had success with the first 3, dont prefer ATS, no real reason just dont??

You are correct, if you want to keep the truck and "USE" it don't go cheap, unless you want to do it again!
Especially if you are turned up at all, towing big diesel torque is asking a lot from a 48RE.

Dunerking

Reaction score
Thanks V6! You’re speaking the gospel about building it tough/right the first time. I tow a 5th wheel TH maybe 15k lbs but rather have it overbuilt. I know Goerend or Suncoast are some of the most mentioned names,as well as Sonnex for the input & output shafts.. I’ve read that a lot of people tend to leave the intermediate shaft stock as it can be replaced without removing the trans. HP wise I’ve got a S475 compound kit on order but that’s where I’m going to stop power wise…I’m shooting for a reliable tow pig!
I wish I had the resources/ability to do the work myself as I like to know how to work on stuff. I spoke with Evan at Inglewood and I’m at about $6700 for a 700 hp build.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Thanks V6! You’re speaking the gospel about building it tough/right the first time. I tow a 5th wheel TH maybe 15k lbs but rather have it overbuilt. I know Goerend or Suncoast are some of the most mentioned names,as well as Sonnex for the input & output shafts.. I’ve read that a lot of people tend to leave the intermediate shaft stock as it can be replaced without removing the trans. HP wise I’ve got a S475 compound kit on order but that’s where I’m going to stop power wise…I’m shooting for a reliable tow pig!
I wish I had the resources/ability to do the work myself as I like to know how to work on stuff. I spoke with Evan at Inglewood and I’m at about $6700 for a 700 hp build.
the intermediate shaft can be changed but not the carnage associated, any failure resulting in metal shavings should enatil pulling the converter. I did 300M all the way through, its only another $600 for the shaft?
Post up your progress!

Dunerking

Reaction score
the intermediate shaft can be changed but not the carnage associated, any failure resulting in metal shavings should enatil pulling the converter. I did 300M all the way through, its only another $600 for the shaft?
Post up your progress!
Excellent point and at this point I don’t think the cost of the intermediate shaft isn’t going to tip the “no go” scale! Lol
It sounds like you have a 3rd Gen Dodge …if so what build did you go with and what shop did the work? Thanks again for the great info!

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Excellent point and at this point I don’t think the cost of the intermediate shaft isn’t going to tip the “no go” scale! Lol
It sounds like you have a 3rd Gen Dodge …if so what build did you go with and what shop did the work? Thanks again for the great info!
I have a gen 2 with a 47RE with some of the 48RE internals as far as clutch drums and there were a couple other parts that swapped over, with the help of Dave Goerend and cascade transmission parts in Oregon.
Dave convinced me to give it a try myself IF I had the patience, since I couldnt find a shop that gave me that warm fuzzy feeling. I took the labor savings and invested it into parts, thus the 300M shafts all the way thru. Motor is turned up some, injectors, turbo, exhaust, edge EZ and a TST3 in line. I can run the TST at a 4 out of 9 when towing in the mountains, anything more and the ex temps get too high! The trans gets a pretty hard go of it, we tow up and down the sierras most every time we go out.

I just took delivery of a '22 3500 SRW short bed crew cab with the asisn, hopefully no more trannys to do, we will see?

Good luck!

Dunerking

Reaction score
That’s awesome that you did it yourself! I wish I had the confidence to take on that scale of a project!
Thanks again for all of the great info,congrats on the new tow pig!

Dunerking

Reaction score
It’s looking like it’s going to go to Inglewood Transmission…unless there happens to be a better option. I was recommended to Tier One trans but they are in Phoenix and logistically it’s too much of a deal.
V6 thanks for all the help and I’d you think of any other options I should ask please let me know.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
It’s looking like it’s going to go to Inglewood Transmission…unless there happens to be a better option. I was recommended to Tier One trans but they are in Phoenix and logistically it’s too much of a deal.
V6 thanks for all the help and I’d you think of any other options I should ask please let me know.

All metal/billet servos and pistons where possible

Upgraded governor pressure solenoid, there are a couple options

Cooling, Cooling, Cooling, you need a trans temp gauge, added cooler is great insurance!

The biggest thing is the more you understand HOW the trans works the better, so you can operate it accordingly, if towing use tow haul, which basically keeps you OUT OF OD while towing hard.

Having an understanding or feel for when the converter is locked up is HUGE, convertor locked equals put the power to it, un locked and you build enormous amounts of heat. I run an ATS trans commander to coordinate the ex brake AND adjust convertor lock up speeds with an indicator light letting you know when you are locked. You can feel it go into lock up as you probably already know just nice to have a true indicator as you push the pedal. I am sure there is some quick hack to get an indicator light to light when locked?

The tighter the convertor the quicker it builds heat in stop and go traffic, which is the worst scenario for an automatic, towing heavy on a hot day in 15-20mph stop and go type stuff, dont hesitate to slip in and out of neutral to keep fluid moving and disengage the convertor, watch the heat!

With all that being said everyone has their opinions, transmissions are no different.

If you want some good reading to help in gaining an understanding you can get the ATSG manual

Lastly, dont let the budget drive the finish product if you truly intend to put some torque through this thing while towing. Both the 47&48REs are under designed for the diesel task.

Whoever figured this automatic shit out is a hydraulic genius!

Ladsm

Reaction score
On my way home from Glamis with my son for our day trip. 3+ hours of cruising 75 mph and exit the freeway to get to the house and notice while the truck was idling it sounded like the bottom end was going to come apart…accelerate away and the rough sound goes away…back into the driveway and notice the same sound going from D to R and park and pop the hood while idling and sounds like the connecting rods are going to shoot out the side of the block…shut it down and pray it’s not catistrophic motor issue. Pull off the inspection cover for the torque converter/flex plate and I’m rewarded with 2 bolts.
I’ve been wanting to do a full trans build on my 05 Dodge 3500 CTD for a number of years but now my hand is forced to move onto this job. Looking for some recommendations for a solid trans shop that is familiar with building solid 48RE trans..ie-torque converter,valve body,billet servo,billet input shafts,etc. I know there will be some sticker shock but I’d rather “buy once cry once”. I was going to call Inglewood Trans( heard that Mike passed away last year),but looking for any other recommendations for shops. I’m in Agua Dulce (Santa Clarita area),but can use my AAA tow good for 200 miles tow. I wanted to use HMSdiesel in Dublin,Ca but it’s outside the tow range. Thanks for all/any help. View attachment 1185246 View attachment 1185247

Greg at Chino Hills Transmission did my 2005 Dodge Cummins and it has been bulletproof now for years. Upgraded valve body, Billet Convertor, Upgraded Billet servo, billet shafts, etc.

Tell him Todd from Bullhead sent you. I recently drove it all the way down there just so he could do the service on it and check the internals. Super honest family owned shop.
Located in: Central Business Park
Address: 14182 Central Ave # L, Chino, CA 91710
Hours:
Open ⋅ Closes 5:30PM
Phone: (909) 591-0449

Dunerking

Reaction score
What is the concesses of an Allison 6 speed swap? I know the 48RE can be built tough but 2 extra gears would be nice!

Dunerking

Reaction score
I know,I’d spoke to Mike a few times throughout the years to pick jobs brain for my build..
It’s now down there but Evan is the guy and hope it’s going to be the same good results. After speaking to him a few times I’m confident it’s at a good spot.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
What is the concesses of an Allison 6 speed swap? I know the 48RE can be built tough but 2 extra gears would be nice!
Or one of these.

Dunerking

Reaction score
Hadn’t thought about the ole GV. They have been around for decades…maybe something to consider. Thanks

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Stout, but expensive. Between adaptors and TCM, a little north of 3k, without the trans. @bonesfab has a couple I believe in his stable. Honestly, from an internals standpoint, the Allison is the serious winner. The clutches and steels are massive, where the 48RE's look more akin to TH400 or 727 stuff.

Dunerking

Reaction score
Yeah,the Allison ship sailed…way to much juice for the squeeze…it was going to be way more than what I could justify spending. It would’ve been nice with the extra gears.

Dunerking

Reaction score
Yeah,just couldn’t justify going that deep for my tow rig…it’s going to have a bunch of Suncoast and Sonnax parts in it. After the trans is finished I can finally install the S475 compound kit that I’ve had sitting in the garage for 12+ months.

Dunerking

Reaction score
I hope they are! Been wanting to get this compound setup for years but was always concerned about the trans not being happy when towing our TH! Should be good after the build..
Once all this dust settles I’ll do the 4th Gen seat swap,hopefully be done after that…lol

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I hope they are! Been wanting to get this compound setup for years but was always concerned about the trans not being happy when towing our TH! Should be good after the build..
Once all this dust settles I’ll do the 4th Gen seat swap,hopefully be done after that…lol
I would love to see the compound kit!

Dunerking

Reaction score
Thanks,and I’m just as excited! I’m hopeful in the end results of being a solid efficient tow pig.

Dcb.blake

Reaction score
Super easy to do yourself. I’d say the hardest part was pulling the thing out when it’s in the ground! The damn bell housing is so tall I had to Jack up the truck and get creative due to not having a lift.

As far as parts look at muldoons. He’s back east and sells everything. It’s honestly not much cheaper to buy the parts vs buying a whole trans already built. Speaking from exp 😑. I really liked the Muldoon vb vs a buddies suncoast. I did all the shafts, be careful not all of them are created equal. Dpc converter (not even sure they are still around) Muldoon vb gpz clutches all the billet servos etc and I think I went with tcs shafts but like I said this was 5 years ago might be better stuff out there now. Also add another cooler if you haven’t already. I was using 2 derale coolers with a fans ditched the one in the front. I think power driven diesel sells full diy kits or used to.

475 seems big for a single tow rig, unless you’re going compounds 😎 I ran a 467.7 with the bigger exhaust housing for a while then went up to a 472 t4 with the smaller .90 housing and liked that setup a lot better. I was running a single and it towed great. Just going up hills you had to stay on top of the charger a bit

Dunerking

Reaction score
Yes,it’s a compound kit.
I wish I could’ve taken on this project and educate myself on the workings of the trans…but it’s definitely outside my comfort zone and more of issue I don’t have the time to take on this scale of a project. It will have all Sonnax billet shafts and goodies inside(I hope..lol)….

Dunerking

Reaction score
Update,back home from working out of town and got to take the family camping at Dumont. Towed our 5er and the truck towed 100% better! Solid shifts while towing or not which is great…the shuttle shifting would drive me nuts. I had Evan at Inglewood Trans throw the kitchen sink at and happy with the end result! He was great to work with,didn’t try to up-sale me and was very communicative.
Next up is installing the compound kit and doing the 4th Gen front and rear seat upgrade. Going to try and incorporate the 4th Gen center console as well.

Dcb.blake

Reaction score
Glad it’s al dialed in! That was always the weak link on those trucks! I’d be curious how the seats work out. I did a bit of research on it but could never find a set of decent seats to try it. Keep it updated!

Cooter01

Reaction score
Wish I made an account and saw this sooner to help with the build process. Yet, can not go wrong with Evan and team. You will love the truck with compounds and upgraded 4th gen seats. Another option is having a local upholstery shop do a reshape on the seats, does wonders. I would consider an exhaust brake if you do not have one already. Packbrake inline works great!

Dunerking

Reaction score
I’m definitely planning on having an exhaust brake added with the compounds…thanks for the reminder.