WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

1/2" Drive Cordless Impact?

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
I went to use my air 1/2" impact for the first time in quite sometime and it doesn't have the oomph it used to. So time for a new one but seems like everyone is going cordless these days. I have a couple Makita 3/8" drive 18V impacts and they work pretty well.

You guys that have 1/2" drive cordless find they are as strong as the air guns? What brand do you have? I'd like to stick with Makita because I have a bunch of other Makita stuff and can use the same batteries and chargers.

4Waters

Reaction score
I have a Dewalt 18v 1/2 and I've used the shit out of it. The new ones have some balls compared to mine but I got a deal on it since the 20v were on the shelves and I already had all the other 18v stuff.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I use Mac battery stuff in the shop, but that is for two main reasons. My Mac driver cuts me better deals for cash, and Mac is owned by the same company that owns DeWalt, so the batteries swap. I have a ton of yellow stuff from construction days. I have used Milwaukee stuff at my buddy's shop, and it seems stout as well. They are probably all fairly comparable.
1/2 inch cordless impact is nice to have. Mine travels with me now, especially when towing heavy. Makes changing out flats much quicker, and to me that means safer as well.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I bought a cheap Kobalt 24v and have been very happy with it do far. I got is cheap on black friday.

HPBoats83

Reaction score
I have the 18v Milwaukee and it’s pretty bad ass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nordie

Reaction score
I went to use my air 1/2" impact for the first time in quite sometime and it doesn't have the oomph it used to. So time for a new one but seems like everyone is going cordless these days. I have a couple Makita 3/8" drive 18V impacts and they work pretty well.

You guys that have 1/2" drive cordless find they are as strong as the air guns? What brand do you have? I'd like to stick with Makita because I have a bunch of other Makita stuff and can use the same batteries and chargers.

I have the 1/2 makita and it does exceptionally well. I suspect you want to stay with the same battery platform. I would strongly recommend the makita. I was able to rattle on rebar couplers with it and they take a certain torque to snap the bolts off. We did 48 couplers 6 bolts each on 2 4.0 amp hours batteries. I think the snapping torque of the bolts is around 135ftlbs. I believe they are stronger in reverse.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Just the impact???or are you gonna hope for a bunch of tools that share a battery? The Earthquake gun from Harbor freight is very good. Just about every modern 1/2” battery impact has more than enough torque to deal with lug nuts. Lug nuts don’t need 1200 ft/lbs.

I have the Big dewalt 20V...I’ve yet to find anything it won’t unscrew

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
I have the 18v Milwaukee and it’s pretty bad ass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Another vote for this, but all of my stuff is M18 so I can share batteries and chargers.

Makita is my pop’s brand, and it will serve you well. The tech is so good now that there is no need for air imo.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I bought the stubby m12 3/8 impact and even that little sucker is badass! It has zero issue with popping the lug nuts off my truck and anything else I've put it to. There really is not much need for pneumatic tools anymore.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Hdgasser

Reaction score
We have a plethora of 12v and 18v milwaukee fuel tools on our work truck that get a workout DAILY... 1 1/4 - 1 5/8 nuts doing blinds on pumps.

I'll never use another pneumatic impact again if I don't have too!

Tooned Up

Reaction score
I love the Milwaukee products and the fuel line is the real deal. We use them at work all the time and the 3/4” and 1” impact guns are unbelievable. They will both break loose 60mm head bolts like they are 1/4”. I have a circular saw, ratchets, impacts, saw all, and even a leaf blower. The shit just works.

DLC

Reaction score
I have the fuel m 18 and also the ridged posted above they both work great! I’ve been wanting the little Fuel m12 ratchet they are bad ass

if you don’t want to reinvent the battery just google the makita impacts and get a model number for what you think you want, then look for it online.
‘’I’ve used the little m12 impacts for all kinds of stuff also, they are all pretty amazing!

my neighbor is a mechanic and he doesn't use air any more all battery and it’s FUEL....

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I have the 1/2 Dewalt and that thing will break the studs off of shit if you let it.. lol

sintax

Reaction score
Go Red, Go Fuel, as everyone above has said. That high torque model is a beast.

Havasu Hangin'

Lord of the Drinks
Reaction score
I have a Dewalt 18v 1/2 and I've used the shit out of it. The new ones have some balls compared to mine but I got a deal on it since the 20v were on the shelves and I already had all the other 18v stuff.

This ☝

There's some articles out there comparing brands...and the Dewalt had the best torque values for the money. I use mine to put my props on- no more breaker bar and wood for me.

dribble

Reaction score
I bought a 20v Dewalt with battery and charger for $150.00 on Cyber Monday a few years ago. It works better than my buddy’s $500.00 Snap On model.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
If you want to stick with Makita then this is the one you want. I have both Milwaule and Makita and both are excellent tools.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Everyone and all the tool reviews are all focused on the highest torque. Ignore that...because if you’re dealing with 1000lb ft fasteners...which few of us are...you don’t need big torque. For lug nuts...which is what 90% of home gamers use them for...300+ ft/lbs is fine. My big Dewalt is a pain in the ass for lug nuts...it heavy and bulky. If torqued correctly, my brushed 3/8” dewalt will pop them right off. Actually, my brushed 1/4” hex dewalt with a 3/8” square drive adapter pops the lugs right off my 3/4 ton truck...and it’s easier to handle. Plus, going back on, things should be hand torqued anyway....otherwise you’ll need the big gun to take them off again, but that’s dumb. Carry a breaker bar to crack Mem loose and then use a small impact. If you’re not using it all day every day, this is the best solution.

ParkerRat

Livin the Dream
Reaction score
18v Milwaukee , I looked at all of them when I had a stuck axle nut on the duromax. From what I could find Milwaukee had the highest torque rating. I was lifting the front end of the truck off the jack stands trying to get the nut off with 6 foot bar. I put the 1/2" impact on the medium setting and it spun it off like it was hand tight. I am sold and have since started buying all 18v Milwaukee

traquer

Reaction score
I have a 3/8 Fuel, love it for the small stuff. Gotta try the big bro. That being said, if you're Makita, just stay with that you won't go wrong