WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

1 dog at vet, 1 dog in jail...and a trip to the ER

Riverryder

Reaction score
@Xring01 holy crap thos are some crazy stories!! very interesting how he thought tho. makes senses.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Any chance the dog could be a "shop dog" and just live there, or is your shop at your residence?
Unfortunately not an option. This all happened behind my shop, 200ft from the house. 10 acres, at least they went at it close enough for me to get to, but far enough from my kids in the driveway.
One of the best ways of ending a dog fight. Doesn't always work but will a good percentage of the time

Pick up the non-alpha dog by the back legs. Lift it as high as possible until it lets go of the other dog. Put that dog on its back in submission position.

Trying to stop a dog fight by the neck or anywhere near the front of a dog will almost guarantee getting bitten
Heard that from a cop friend yesterday. May have worked with two pulling, but I think the alpha would have taken advantage at that point with just me. I know it wasn't my smartest decision. Done dumber things though. Just wanted them to quit killing eachother. I knew the risks, but tried anyway. Emotional attachment clouding reason I guess.
The situation is terrible, but if you are looking for reassurance on the decision.. zero % chance that dog would be coming back to my household.. and extremely low % it would be going to anyone else’s unless they flat out asked for it.
There is no chance of him coming home. That I am sure of. My daughter knows, and understands. My boys, I don't know. I know I rather have to hear them crying, than risk hearing them screaming...

...and that's also why things are heavy on my mind. Ending a life, is just that. Be it spiritual, religious, whatever, I don't take it lightly. Killing for food, or in defense of you or your family's lives, not a question in my mind. This is different to me...but should it be? I don't know.

My relatively low stress, mundane existence has become complex...and it sucks.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Establishing a pecking order can be a pretty brutal thing sometimes.. but nobody said nature wasn’t brutal.

I have broken up a shit ton of dog fights, luckily never been bitten.. I usually grab em by the back of the neck and start lifting, usually they let go.

Two big dogs like ridgebacks, is the kinda deal where you grabsomething and hit em with it until they knock it the fuck off..

They use those things for chasing off lions and hyenas etc.. Freakin tough dogs.

My experience was a bit different. I had a 20 lb puggle that wanted to tear me to bits...I ended up beating her ass with a 10' section of 3" exhaust pipe I had in the vicinity, and followed up with a shorter 2x4 and then whatever else i could find. I really wanted to break her of the BS so she could continue with us as part of our family, but it didn't work, so I found her a new home instead of putting a bullet in her head...which was really the only option had she not left our household.

I don't give a fuck what you came at this little dog with, unless it knocked her uncontious, she would come at you with 20lbs of fury and sharp teeth and fuck you up properly. If anyone doubts the anger that is inside a tiny dog...you're free to come over and fuck with the 16lb chihauaha/mini dacshund mutt we have now...just touch his tail...you won't be able to use your hand for at least 3 days...and that's if you're lucky enough to pull your arm back in time so he doesn't clamp down on your wrist.

Big dog? Hell no. I want no part in that.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
In Texas,,, a Truck is a tool to get the job done..., just like a hammer, screw driver, gun, knife or ____________________________.
On a Ranch, Dogs are tools... when the tool fails, you replace it with one that works.... cause the job has to get done.

Another story,
If a dog got sprayed by a skunk... it got one pass... My dad would do everything to clean it up.. Tomatoe juice, Motor Oil, anything to kill the smell. Then he would smell like skunk. But he went out of his way to clean that dog up..

The second time that dog got sprayed by a skunk... dope..... you know what happens nexts... One way walk time....

Or Hog Hunting...
If a dog chased a Raccoon up a tree, and didnt chase or look for the hog... It was killed on site.. under that tree...
When I (about 6 years old) asked my dad, why did you kill that dog... "Cause its teaching all the other dogs bad habits, can't have that" ....

I dont treat dogs like my dad, Times have changed, but this is bringing up alot of dog memory's.

jesus was your daDS name
Michael Vick? Lol

Xring01

Reaction score
jesus was your daDS name
Michael Vick? Lol

we went thru dogs, especially hog dogs...

never get attached...

If the dog did him right,then he made sure that dog had a great life..
They ate like kings.. all the deer meat, hog meat they could eat.. seriously we killed deer and hogs just for the dogs..

Our dogs never ate dog food, NEVER...

We had labs that lived for 20 years...

Had dogs immune to Rattlesnake bites.., because they had been bitten so many times.. they got lethargic for a few days, swoll up a bit.. but ate, drank water...slept alot for a few days.. shoke it off

Dogs are amazing animals.... but they are animals.

I am 48 now, so this was the thought processes of a 1970s rancher...

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Really sorry you had to make that decision mw. We all do what we feel is right for our Family.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
jesus was your daDS name
Michael Vick? Lol
In Texas,,, a Truck is a tool to get the job done..., just like a hammer, screw driver, gun, knife or ____________________________.
On a Ranch, Dogs are tools... when the tool fails, you replace it with one that works.... cause the job has to get done.

Another story,
If a dog got sprayed by a skunk... it got one pass... My dad would do everything to clean it up.. Tomatoe juice, Motor Oil, anything to kill the smell. Then he would smell like skunk. But he went out of his way to clean that dog up..

The second time that dog got sprayed by a skunk... dope..... you know what happens nexts... One way walk time....

Or Hog Hunting...
If a dog chased a Raccoon up a tree, and didnt chase or look for the hog... It was killed on site.. under that tree...
When I (about 6 years old) asked my dad, why did you kill that dog... "Cause its teaching all the other dogs bad habits, can't have that" ....

I dont treat dogs like my dad, Times have changed, but this is bringing up alot of dog memory's.

I would have put a bullet in your Dad before I put one in the dog if you are describing him (dad) accurately. He sounds like a real piece of shit. I'm sure you're not describing him accurately.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I would have put a bullet in your Dad before I put one in the dog if you are describing him (dad) accurately. He sounds like a real piece of shit. I'm sure you're not describing him accurately.

dude you are too much... lol.
His stories sound pretty typical for a rancher especially from that era and before.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...Had a half Saint half Newfie when I lived aboard ...the only dog allowed to run around freely through the marinas...Only bit one person ...a buddy of mine who was drunk...fell towards the dogs face...and the dog punctured a hole in his lip...no big deal...
... Never started shit with other dogs but if they started shit with him they regretted it...big and agle... Everybody loved him and I could trust him...Now that I think about it while I was working in the movie industry it was the only dog that was allowed to run around loose at our film locations???...
1582108072602.jpeg

Last edited:

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
I just read this. Tough situation for sure. When I brought Phx home he and Roxy got into it and Roxy had her mouth ripped open on the side. She was bleeding very badly all over the place. I left her outside while trying to stop the bleeding and Phx you could tell felt bad about what had happened. I was just about to take Roxy to the vet after about 5 hours of bleeding and it stopped. She has fully recovered from that. For days after that Phx would come up and lick her where he had bit her. I also noticed Phx had puncture wounds under his neck.

Thing is I created that situation by leaving a bone out by mistake and leaving the room. Thats when the resource protection of both of the pups went into overdrive. My bad and I became much more aware of not creating those kinds of situations for the pups. The pups all get along for the most part but the older ones check Phx from time to time. These pups are 70, 80 and 90 lbs.

That being said if one of my three bit me or a visitor here at the house......I would put them down.

I always wanted to get me some Ridgebacks or Fila Mastiffs but understand that I would have to put a lot of time/effort in getting them to be the type of dog I want. They are breeds that need a lot of work and respect for the power they have. Even more so than pits or shephards IMO......

Your decision is already made....you know what to do.

Hang in there

E4L

Reaction score
Had a similar situation with my English Springer for some reason I just don’t think she liked little bodies. So when my son was two the wife and I went out while we left my son with the sitter. Well I guess she turned around for a minute and the dog was on top of my son. Had the dog since she was 8 weeks picked her from the litter and at 8 years old that was the last day she ever stayed in my house. Broke my heart as well but my son is my son I’ll do anything for that little man he’s my world. I reached out to a Springer recuse she lived with a older lady till she passed away a few thanksgiving ago. Good luck but it sounds like you made the right choice we need to protect our children no matter the sacrifice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riverryder

Reaction score

Says the biggest piece of shit calling someone’s dad a piece of shit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Come on now, enough name calling and such...that's probably more suited to the dungeon.
Ranch hand and cowboy life is far different than most other ways to live or grow up. I'm sure in the 70's, it was different than today. All the cowboys I know, which is actually quite a few now, have learned from their fathers, who learned from theirs before. What one group sees as barbaric, is just normal life to another. City life and modern society have very little in common with the world only a short distance away. Butcher an elk or a steer, done pretty much the same way forever, it's pretty damn barbaric.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Sorry for what you’re going through MW. :(
Animals are no different than people you just never know what’s gonna make them snap one day. Sometimes there’s a medical explanation and sometimes it’s just plain crazy.

RCDave

Reaction score
Certain breeds are closer to the cliff than others as well. Guardian breeds are wired closer the edge for sure (pitbulls, rotties, corsos, dobermans, etc)

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
At the end of the day I'm really sorry you are going to have to go through this... :(.

RD

Nordie

Reaction score
This situation really sucks, I have sat here for a day or two and thought about what you're going through. You're making the right decision in my opinion, albeit a very hard decision.

My family has always had Dobermans and when my grandparents passed away 5 weeks apart. With Belle being pregnant I stepped up and took all but 1 of the dogs on, my brother took the blue puppy. Anyhow the litter came and I pretty much gave the puppies away. I still had 2 males left and Belle the mom goes back in heat, and Diablo the stud was ready for some more action. Well if anyone knows if there's still some puppies around momma ain't gonna put out, so Diablo decided welp I am going to kill some puppies. I ran outside and started kicking dogs left and right, kicking the puppies away, kicking Diablo to get him to stop.

I loaded the puppies in my now ex wifes car and sent her to the vet. I sat there for a little bit deciding what I was going to do with Diablo (hardest decision ever). I won't go into details but that was his last day, my main reason was I could no longer trust him. He felt no pain when it was time to go and he knew it, and also sat there and took it. Worst day of my life.

I'm sorry about what you're going through, it's never easy...

Last edited:

welldigger00

Reaction score
Come on now, enough name calling and such...that's probably more suited to the dungeon.
Ranch hand and cowboy life is far different than most other ways to live or grow up. I'm sure in the 70's, it was different than today. All the cowboys I know, which is actually quite a few now, have learned from their fathers, who learned from theirs before. What one group sees as barbaric, is just normal life to another. City life and modern society have very little in common with the world only a short distance away. Butcher an elk or a steer, done pretty much the same way forever, it's pretty damn barbaric.

The story’s my dad told me of what his dad did back in the 30’s was gnarly. My dad found a littler of kittens in the barn, when my dad was five years old. My grandfather caught wind of this, and made my dad put them all in a burlap sack, and drown them in the horse trough. The lesson was there is only so much food for all the mouths to feed. Times were way different back then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
I'm so sorry you have to go through this and I thank you for posting with such honesty. Believe it or not all dog can get hurt feelings and get angry. Most dog trainers will tell you that there was some small event that put all this into motion. You just don't know.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I'm so sorry you have to go through this and I thank you for posting with such honesty. Believe it or not all dog can get hurt feelings and get angry. Most dog trainers will tell you that there was some small event that put all this into motion. You just don't know.
I know people think differently about animals and their "thoughts". I think anyone who has spent time with horses will agree though. They (animals in general) have good days and bad. Most seem to have empathy as well, and that is something not all humans have. Right now, we have the two left here at home. The injured one is staying inside to keep wounds clean, and walked on a leash to keep him from wanting to run. The female, was outside...but looked almost ill. She's now part timing inside. She seems fine now. Good days and bad, we have them. Sometimes the animals are the cause of both I guess.

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
stupid question.. but do you think if you let the situation play out they would have established their order and been ok from then on out?
I have found there is usually something that triggers a dog to fight within it's pack. Figure out the trigger and problem can be solved. Food and toys will top the list. Until then, a fire extinguisher works great breaking up fights until the pecking order is figured out or, the trigger has been removed.

NicPaus

Reaction score

My Dad is the same way. Born and raised on a farm in Iowa. Animals are not pets they are tools. I just got back from the river and he mentioned my dog was not doing good. I thought his next words would be I took care of it. My dogs still here luckily.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I have found there is usually something that triggers a dog to fight within it's pack. Figure out the trigger and problem can be solved. Food and toys will top the list. Until then, a fire extinguisher works great breaking up fights until the pecking order is figured out or, the trigger has been removed.
Unless they are to close in strength. I have had 2 female sister Shepherds and 2 males over the years that no matter how much they wooped up the other dog as soon as it healed it was on and they would damn near kill each other and not submit. Gets expensive as it's a minimum 500 at the vet each trip. My old Male now I have spent thousands as he would never stop trying to be dominant.

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
Unless they are to close in strength. I have had 2 female sister Shepherds and 2 males over the years that no matter how much they wooped up the other dog as soon as it healed it was on and they would damn near kill each other and not submit. Gets expensive as it's a minimum 500 at the vet each trip. My old Male now I have spent thousands as he would never stop trying to be dominant.
I had two 100lb males. Atticus and Guido. Yeah, I paid those bills too and there was a trip to the ER. Finally figured what was triggering them. Problem was solved until a worker left the backyard gate open and all three of my babies got hit and killed a mile from my house.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I think the issue was 1 was clearly not dominant enough it was to close. They kept trying though. After about the 15th time I separated them permanently.

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
I can watch two guys cut each other to pieces, but not two dogs. What a tough situation for MonkeyWrench and anyone else who has gone thru this. At the end of the day every situation is unique and you have to go with your gut and no one can rightfully fault your decision. Good luck Brother.
“Let your conscience be your guide.”

Long Way Home

Dog Days of Summer!
Reaction score

No one needs to be shot, we are all different, different cuisines, cultures, and languages. We all grew up in a different part of the country in a different time. There is a danger in judging others without getting their perspective. Understanding others does not mean that you have to necessarily agree with their point of view, or feelings. Instead, it means you recognize their point of view and accept that it is different from your.

Long Way Home

Dog Days of Summer!
Reaction score
My two male ridgebacks got into it...bad. Never done anything like this in the six years we've had them. The bigger of the two was the aggressor. I tried, and eventually succeded in, breaking them up. Damage was done, to me and the smaller dog. I spent a couple hours in the ER, left hand and arm pretty trashed. Bicep got nailed good, thumb got a nasty laceration and possibly seperated the knuckle...and a few puntures. Smaller dog (Chase) is at the vet now.

Bigger dog (DJ) was "picked up by authorities". I can't see him coming home. I can't see him being re-homed. He has become aggressive this past year or so. Never to humans, but other dogs and animals. Now though, he got me. I love this dog, would hang out in the shop with me, just always been more mine than the family's.

I can't help but think what could have happened if it were my kids and not me. I am not small, nor particularly weak. I got my ass handed to me. I think I know what needs to be done...but fuck, it sucks.

Sorry, mostly venting. Stressed and depressed.

I understand as my family raised livestock in central California when I was a kid, your decision concerning euthanasia may be one of the most difficult decisions. It’s the most difficult part of having a dog but family first.