WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

10 QT Dooley BBC V Drive Pan Dip Stick

Reaction score
I lost my Dip stick when I had the machine work done and I need a new one. Is there a custom or a standard dip stick I should be using? Recommendations on where to get one?

Thanks!!!!!

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Most of the Dooley pans are build on a factory GM pan core, and use a standard BBC dipstick tube. With any engine you are assembling you should always check the dipstick and mark for oil depth prior to bolting the pan on the engine.

lenmann

Reaction score
Most of the Dooley pans are build on a factory GM pan core, and use a standard BBC dipstick tube. With any engine you are assembling you should always check the dipstick and mark for oil depth prior to bolting the pan on the engine.

Barry, any chance you can walk us through this process? I am going to need to do this in the next couple of weeks and frankly not sure how to get the oil level and dip stick reading right.

Thanks in advance.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Barry, any chance you can walk us through this process? I am going to need to do this in the next couple of weeks and frankly not sure how to get the oil level and dip stick reading right.

Thanks in advance.

Best way to do it in my opinion is with the pan sitting on the bench facing upwards. Put the dipstick tube into position, whether it's factory style or aftermarket thread in design. I make a mark with a felt pen just about even with the windage tray, not above it, and if the dipstick needs a new mark I do it with a file or Dremel tool.
When the engine is running not all of the oil will be in the oil pan. The windage tray is in the pan to keep from whipping the oil around and aerating it, which causes problems with oil pressure.