WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

1099 Staff

franky

Reaction score
Sold my business in 1998 and have been out of the working game since 2001. Built a house for my Dad (he is 92) across the street and moved him out here three years ago and lately his health is turning. Been dealing with home health care agencies and am not impressed with how they do business but love the staff. If we hire them direct it would have to be above board for insurance reasons so I was curious what percentage of their income does a 1099 employee generally have to pay for tax, ssi, etc. ? Thanks

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
It is my understanding that a 1099 person is same as self employed, thus responsible for everything a self employed person is . This includes paying for healthcare, no workmans comp and also paying self employment tax . But they do get to write off a lot .

franky

Reaction score
It is my understanding that a 1099 person is same as self employed, thus responsible for everything a self employed person is . This includes paying for healthcare, no workmans comp and also paying self employment tax . But they do get to write off a lot .
Yes, I am asking what those costs are. Thanks

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Just curious as to what state your in. CA, for example, is very tuff on employers when it comes to 1099 employees. Lots of new laws in the last few years.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
Sold my business in 1998 and have been out of the working game since 2001. Built a house for my Dad (he is 92) across the street and moved him out here three years ago and lately his health is turning. Been dealing with home health care agencies and am not impressed with how they do business but love the staff. If we hire them direct it would have to be above board for insurance reasons so I was curious what percentage of their income does a 1099 employee generally have to pay for tax, ssi, etc. ? Thanks

I run a Home Heath agency. If you hire them directly you are responsible for them. They are your employee. You can’t have them as a contractor is CA.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
It’s a wide open question.
I was 1099 for many years.
The cost to an “employee” is dependent on their write offs, and earnings in general.
Some years my write offs approached 50% due to travel and as mentioned I paid my own health and taxes.
I lived in Cali but did not work in CA, I worked in other States.

sirbob

Reaction score
I run a Home Heath agency. If you hire them directly you are responsible for them. They are your employee. You can’t have them as a contractor is CA.

Would you be able to share what would be the expected cost to have home health support for an elderly person? Somebody that would come to the house each day to help and care for an elderly person.

I’m sure there are different levels of care - possibly you can share a high low and what types of services each would provide.

I’m very close to needed this for my mother and need to start figuring out how we are going to handle it.

Thanks

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Would you be able to share what would be the expected cost to have home health support for an elderly person? Somebody that would come to the house each day to help and care for an elderly person.

I’m sure there are different levels of care - possibly you can share a high low and what types of services each would provide.

I’m very close to needed this for my mother and need to start figuring out how we are going to handle it.

Thanks

i have a long term disability plan i paid 116k for. I did this as i did not want to be a burden to my son. One time payment thru Mutual of Omaha.

they allow me to have someone take care of me in my home. It could be my son. 4500. Per month limit up to i think 500k total. That computed to about 130 months of pay for him. I can see it being a Weekend at Bernies situation...haha

in an assited living facility they pay up to 14k montly up to that 500k limit.

it increases every year 5%. No premiums.

if i die before 65 and havent used it the the entire premium paid gets refunded to the estate.

It was a single pay option I had my company pay. From what i understand these are not offered anymore. Best investment i ever made.

EDIT....I just checked. At this time the limits are 586k total and like i said increase 5% every year. If you paid premiums the premium rate would also go up. Not for the single pay though.

Last edited:

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score

When I needed a health worker for Debbie pre-hospice the lists of licensed people freelancing online were literally endless.
$15-$25 an hour more or less. This was what? 3 years ago this month?
I ended up going with a regular provider 3-4 times a week because they had their in house bonding or insurance. Was $30 an hour but that included rides in our car and diet records and a bunch of services.

But like I said, there was an endless list of people online advertising, mostly nursing students or freelancing hospice people.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
22% of net adjusted income after write-offs for the normal folk (federal) tax bracket which i think is annual adjusted income of $40-$200k. I could be off by a few digits. For me it generally works out to about 10% of my gross, but I have a lot of write-offs. Im not sure how much a home healthcare worker would be able to write off.

franky

Reaction score

Thanks
Sirbob, I would be happy to give you a call next week and tell you my experience and what to look for. Also, Hospice offers "life help" for free. CNA comes and showers Dad M,W,F and nurse visits and checks him out Mondays. PM me if you like. Tough times!

Last edited:

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
My Mom developed early on set Alzheimers (at 55) when I was in my early 30s. While she was ok financially based on her employment provided disability benefits, it got me thinking about long term care. I ended up buying two policies at that time. One through John Handcock and the other through New York Life. Combined they provide about $400/day up to $1.5M and allow for in home care. Fast forward almost 30 years and I still have them. Because I was young when I bought them, they run about $1,800 a year and the payment has never changed.

For anyone considering buying a policy, the earlier you buy it, the cheaper the payments or lump sum is going to be. I have a friend my age looking now and the price Is astronomical.

Also, several large Insurance companies are now excluding Alzheimers which is a leading cause of long term care these days. Read the policy carefully before committing to anything.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
When I needed a health worker for Debbie pre-hospice the lists of licensed people freelancing online were literally endless.
$15-$25 an hour more or less. This was what? 3 years ago this month?
I ended up going with a regular provider 3-4 times a week because they had their in house bonding or insurance. Was $30 an hour but that included rides in our car and diet records and a bunch of services.

But like I said, there was an endless list of people online advertising, mostly nursing students or freelancing hospice people.

You can totally find someone to pay to help. But if they are licensed and you are paying them directly and they get hurt at your home your are liable. At least in CA. I know people do it all the time. It’s up to the person if they want the risk or not.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score

Thanks

Our base rate is $30 per hour with a 4 hour minimum for a personal care assistant or certified nurse assistant. Both do the same thing. They would help with basic needs. Light cooking, cleaning, hygiene, companion support , assist with transfers. They cannot administer meds or any clinical function. That would need to be done by a LVN,RN or family member. Depending on the patients diagnosis, needs and homebound status they may qualify for home health which would be able to provide A registered nurse physical therapist occupational therapist speech therapist medical social worker certified home health aide. They must be ordered by a MD and qualify for home health. If your mother has A commercial health insurance such as Blue Cross or Blue Shield there may be a share of cost for the home health services or if she has Medicare they cover it at 100%. But the insurances and Medicare do not cover The personal care assistant or the certified nurse assistant as they consider it custodial care. My company offers home health hospice and caregiver services PM me if you ever want to talk and I can fill you in on how the programs work I know they are tough decisions that come along with it. My company has six offices in Southern California and an office in arizona.

sirbob

Reaction score
Sirbob, I would be happy to give you a call next week and tell you my experience and what to look for. Also, Hospice offers "life help" for free. CNA comes and showers Dad M,W,F and nurse visits and checks him out Mondays. PM me if you like. Tough times!

Thx for the offer I’ll try to find time early in the week to touch base

sirbob

Reaction score
Our base rate is $30 per hour with a 4 hour minimum for a personal care assistant or certified nurse assistant. Both do the same thing. They would help with basic needs. Light cooking, cleaning, hygiene, companion support , assist with transfers. They cannot administer meds or any clinical function. That would need to be done by a LVN,RN or family member. Depending on the patients diagnosis, needs and homebound status they may qualify for home health which would be able to provide A registered nurse physical therapist occupational therapist speech therapist medical social worker certified home health aide. They must be ordered by a MD and qualify for home health. If your mother has A commercial health insurance such as Blue Cross or Blue Shield there may be a share of cost for the home health services or if she has Medicare they cover it at 100%. But the insurances and Medicare do not cover The personal care assistant or the certified nurse assistant as they consider it custodial care. My company offers home health hospice and caregiver services PM me if you ever want to talk and I can fill you in on how the programs work I know they are tough decisions that come along with it. My company has six offices in Southern California and an office in arizona.

Wow - thank you for sharing your thoughts on this. I’ll reach out to follow up

Thx again

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score

Yep
All my expenses for this was out of pocket and Deb had top shelf BS PPO.
The main reason was my absence going to work.
After a couple months of having the care giver come every other day her parents came and stayed 2 weeks at a time while I went to work.
But then home hospice was ordered and insurance took over. (And I stayed home and saw her out)