WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

110MPH Deck boats - Twin OB or single big motor?

Flatsix66

Reaction score
RD posted the vids of the two fast deckboats this morning, both are awesome but pose two different approaches to going fast. Nordic 29 with twin 450 and the Howard 288 with Teague 1100 that sounded insane. Do the costs compare? Which would live longer? Maint? Driving dynamics? resale.... Which one would you buy with RD's money?

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Depends on what ya want. The fact that you can still have I nice big swim platform to hang out on really is a big plus for an I/O. After all it’s a family deck boat. But on the other hand, twin OB would be less maintenance intensive.

Performance Grips

Reaction score
RD posted the vids of the two fast deckboats this morning, both are awesome but pose two different approaches to going fast. Nordic 29 with twin 450 and the Howard 288 with Teague 1100 that sounded insane. Do the costs compare? Which would live longer? Maint? Driving dynamics? resale.... Which one would you buy with RD's money?
I had an ETicket with twin 525's ran right around 100 but took the whole lake to do it but handled the big chop amazing. An ETicket with twin 600's would be about as perfect as you can get in a 100 + mph deck boat. I found I didn't want to go 100 in a deck boat and I have had 3 100+ mph cats.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
I am a big fan of the outboards.

The outboards are lighter and require 89 octane instead of 91. @HydroSkreamin could probably comment on the fuel economy on a cat set up but I gotta think that its more efficient than the Teague set up. Teague offers a 1 year warranty. The Mercs come with a 3 year warranty that can be extended to 8 years which is insane.

I know that Merc had some prop shaft issues with the 400r on boats like cats running the motors high. From what I have heard Mercury has stepped up and fixed these that have had issues and even replaced props if your running Merc props. Not sure if there are enough 450r's out there yet to determine what the issues may be. Some of the early 300r's have had issues with oil leaking due to some tolerances in the block. They have fixed this though.

All of that said nothing sounds like a blown big block and with the big block you get a true swim step.

Two screws are easier to drive around docks and if you have the Merc DTS controls the joystick piloting is effortless the hold position function is pretty cool too. The outboards will also open up more room in the cockpit with a smaller rear hatch if the builder can accommodate.

If I were spending Daves money it would be the 450r's.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well, with RD's money...both :cool:

I am far from that ballpark, but here are my thoughts. I love the sound of both twin wackers, and a single I/O. Different, but both are cool. The I/O sounds better loping through the channel...so that depends on your level of LAM wanted.

It definitely seems to be more intensive maintanence on a big motor. I personally understand them more than the outboards, so that's the way I was leaning until the past year or so. Seeing the limited upkeep and efficiency of the outboards has swayed me quite a bit. For me personally, I like the concept of being able to go fast, and run well constantly...that is like a fairytale for me.

It really comes down to personal preference I would think. There are beatiful offerings in both drive types. If someone was a serious player, I am sure a builder could set them up with rides in the different options.

In the interest of full transparency, I'm just a broke hick with a sbc/Alpha, and a bbc/Berk...both carbed, and old...but I read a lot, and have friends with cool stuff:p

DWC

Reaction score
I had an ETicket with twin 525's ran right around 100 but took the whole lake to do it but handled the big chop amazing. An ETicket with twin 600's would be about as perfect as you can get in a 100 + mph deck boat. I found I didn't want to go 100 in a deck boat and I have had 3 100+ mph cats.
I still have one and kinda agree. I’ve never pushed it into triple digits because I’m a chicken. I appreciate the power and the ability to cruise comfortably at 60-70.
(That being said when it comes time to rebuild it’ll be tough to not juice the 525’s a bit. I drool when Boostpower and Teague post whippled 525’s)

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

This. And the only person not fearing for their life in a 100MPH deckboat is the driver behind the helm :)

Performance Grips

Reaction score
I still have one and kinda agree. I’ve never pushed it into triple digits because I’m a chicken. I appreciate the power and the ability to cruise comfortably at 60-70.
(That being said when it comes time to rebuild it’ll be tough to not juice the 525’s a bit. I drool when Boostpower and Teague post whippled 525’s)
I sold you your boat haha. How's it been for you? I loved it but wasn't using it at the time. I hope your enjoying it.

Reactions: DWC

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
This. And the only person not fearing for their life in a 100MPH deckboat is the driver behind the helm :)

lol. Depends on the boat. I have been in all three mentioned in this thread and have driven two (only one I haven’t driven is the Nordic ironically enough).
All three are pretty stable at those speeds..

The Nordic with 400’s was quiet at those speeds and it was weird to me. Lol

DWC

Reaction score
I sold you your boat haha. How's it been for you? I loved it but wasn't using it at the time. I hope your enjoying it.
That’s awesome. Entire family absolutely loves it. It’s been a great boat. Annual maintenance and a couple minor, wear and tear items.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
lol. Depends on the boat. I have been in all three mentioned in this thread and have driven two (only one I haven’t driven is the Nordic ironically enough).
All three are pretty stable at those speeds..

The Nordic with 400’s was quiet at those speeds and it was weird to me. Lol

It’s not the stability, it’s the wind blowing through at those speeds.

farmo83

Reaction score
I would go with the big Teague. To me it's a deck boat so I would want the extra space of back for kids, etc. Also anything Bob builds I would classify as fairly reliable.

My. 02

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Personally I think outboards are hideous looking and totally ruin the lines of the boats. One of the biggest selling points to buy a deck boat is the huge rear swim platform, which twin outboards totally render useless. I don't know about anyone else, but the sound of big built V8's give me a hardon! Racing outboards sound ok, but they don't float my boat.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Iv got a conquest topcat with 1100hp. I’d say 450s for insurability and maint alone.
100+ club in a deck boat is awesome, especially if there’s females on board you wonder what they’ll look like topless :cool:

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Iv got a conquest topcat with 1100hp. I’d say 450s for insurability and maint alone.
100+ club in a deck boat is awesome, especially if there’s females on board you wonder what they’ll look like topless :cool:
Amen to that. Used to do that in the Daytona too. Tops started coming off at 75 and bottoms about 105

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
Personally I feel that you can't beat the sound of a big block. But to attain that speed with reliability with a deck boat or for anything for that matter, the outboard /'s are the best bet. However, I have had a cocktail in hand and dancing at 70 on a 28 conquest and have been well over a hundred in a small block twin Turbo 20' Silverwing.

If I had to choose a boat to to do over a hundred in, I would definitely not choose the deck boat. When shit goes wrong, I want less mass coming after me and definitely don't want to have my head or anyone else's heads taken off by a humongous beer cooler.

575cat

Reaction score
If it was a work boat yes outboards , its a TOY I dont care about being a fuel mizer where I live I am out to burn fuel . I believe outboards you are still going to find a week link , big blocks for sure .

Stayin'ontop

Reaction score

where are these videos posted at? Wasn’t able to find them and would love to see them

DWC

Reaction score
Personally I feel that you can't beat the sound of a big block. But to attain that speed with reliability with a deck boat or for anything for that matter, the outboard /'s are the best bet. However, I have had a cocktail in hand and dancing at 70 on a 28 conquest and have been well over a hundred in a small block twin Turbo 20' Silverwing.

If I had to choose a boat to to do over a hundred in, I would definitely not choose the deck boat. When shit goes wrong, I want less mass coming after me and definitely don't want to have my head or anyone else's heads taken off by a humongous beer cooler.
That’s exactly why i switched to the soft side Yeti.

HighVoltage329

Reaction score
It depends on where you boat and how many miles you travel. Mileage becomes an issue on the Delta but may not be in many lakes. Deck boats aren't meant to go all day but more time to stop and play. I don't have as strong of feelings if a deck boat has inboard or outboard.

Last edited:

BUSTI

Reaction score
Anytime I hear people talk about outboards the only thing I can think of is...

1588344723489.png

mbrown2

Reaction score
If I were doing a deck boat I would do a 540/565 and call it a day...get a setup that you could do 80 which is plenty fast ....I/O is nice and tucked under. The outboards won't get in the way in the back...

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
That’s exactly why i switched to the soft side Yeti.
Coors Light's and ice in a soft cooler sounds like filling a pillow case with bars of soap. It'll probably hurt just as much!o_O🤣

DWC

Reaction score
Coors Light's and ice in a soft cooler sounds like filling a pillow case with bars of soap. It'll probably hurt just as much!o_O🤣
Yeah, probably be better with an old metal chest to end it quicker :D

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

every deck I have been in the beer coolers are either integrated into the boat or store in the gel storage.. lol.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I would think that people looking to purchase a deck boat are wanting a boat that that can hold lots of people and have easy on/off access to the beach. And having a large swim platform is a huge bonus. To me is seems like outboards on a deck boat would take away the best place to hang out on a boat.

Bullhead bully

Reaction score
So many advantages to outboard. So many disadvantages to inboard. Not even an option.

six year warranty. Versus six minute warranty.
87 or 89 octane depending on the motor
better mileage
designed to be used for Marine purposes. Not a converted truck motor.
more maneuverable around the docks.
you,ll never need a tow with a twin
unless you absolutely need to hear the noise all day long there’s zero advantage to inboard.

Last edited:

Tony DCB Boats

Reaction score
I would buy a DCB, but I am a little biased....

relaxalot

Reaction score
A Howard Deck will run 87-89 with a stock 600. Stage 2 whipple will push it to 95... Stage 3 and a cam will push it a touch over 100. If you want to go 110 to have to bump up to some real big power.. Like Kap's old Howard.. I am not sure what it ran but it ran away from my float.