WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

12 hours until the fun starts

rrrr

Reaction score
It's back to the crash house for good ol' rrrr. My degenerative arthritis has attacked the cervical spine, and for the last four months I've only been able to move my head a couple of inches in any direction. I have to be at the hospital at 5:30 AM tomorrow (Monday) for surgery at 7:30.

It's going to be eight hours long. The first five hours will be removing arthritic calcification on vertebrae, tendons, and ligaments, the rest installing titanium spacer inserts between C5-7 vertebrae, and a titanium strap screwed into those vertebrae to fuse them together.

I've had a bunch of surgeries because my body is trying to destroy itself, but this one has me in tilt. I don't like the idea of a large incision in the front of my neck, rummaging around with a Dremel for a few hours, and bolting some metal onto my spine. It's a bit scary. I don't have a good feeling about the outcome.

I'll be in the hospital three or four days, and wearing a cervical collar for two months. I can't drive for three. Rehab and therapy for five or six, and probably a year to completely recover, whatever that means.

But I guess I can look back at all of the extreme sports stuff I've done, the fun, learning, living pretty large, racing, boating, flying, being in love, building great projects, having good friends, and more. Most people don't get to do that stuff. I'm paying for it now, but at least I was fortunate enough to have the experiences.

I'll check back after surgery. Maybe I'll provide some good drug induced commentary that'll require an @H2O Toie translation.

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
It's back to the crash house for good ol' rrrr. My degenerative arthritis has attacked the cervical spine, and for the last four months I've only been able to move my head a couple of inches in any direction. I have to be at the hospital at 5:30 AM tomorrow (Monday) for surgery at 7:30.

It's going to be eight hours long. The first five hours will be removing arthritic calcification on vertebrae, tendons, and ligaments, the rest installing titanium spacer inserts between C5-7 vertebrae, and a titanium strap screwed into those vertebrae to fuse them together.

I've had a bunch of surgeries because my body is trying to destroy itself, but this one has me in tilt. I don't like the idea of a large incision in the front of my neck, rummaging around with a Dremel for a few hours, and bolting some metal onto my spine. It's a bit scary. I don't have a good feeling about the outcome.

I'll be in the hospital three or four days, and wearing a cervical collar for two months. I can't drive for three. Rehab and therapy for five or six, and probably a year to completely recover, whatever that means.

But I guess I can look back at all of the extreme sports stuff I've done, the fun, learning, living pretty large, racing, flying, being in love, building great projects, having good friends, and more. Most people don't get to do that stuff. I'm paying for it now, but at least I was fortunate enough to have the experiences.

I'll check back after surgery. Maybe I'll provide some good drug induced commentary that'll require an @H2O Toie translation.

Best of luck to you sir with hopes of a rapid, successful, recovery with minimal discomfort. 👍 👍 👍

wallnutz

Reaction score
I will keep you in my thoughts. That’s a major surgery!

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Very best wishes for your fast recovery. You’ll do great !

Joe mama

Reaction score
Good luck!! I’ll probably end up in that situation at some point. All those years looking up to do my work has already started the neck pain.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
My first neck surgery was 13.5hrs, slit open front and back, drills and saws. Amazing, yet incredibly primitive as well. At least they know what they are trying to tepair, and have a plan.

Regardless of the surgery, at least you went fishing. Pain or not, that's what all this stuff is about, trying to spend time with those we care about.

Good luck! My biggest issue was a sore throat from being intubated (sp?).
That or seriously taken advantage of :oops:

riverroyal

Reaction score
Wow. Check in asap. I think you will be much better after!!

ssc

Reaction score
I wish you the best and hope for a quick and healthy recovery. My last spine surgery was around 16 hours. The first 3 weeks were tough, but got better as time went bye.

Cheers, Steve

Sherpa

Reaction score
nah! you'll be alot better alot sooner. hopefully........ I had C-4-C-5-C-6 spinal fusion done in 97 from 2 blown discs...... the surgical scar on my neck in front is barely noticeable....
was doing back flips in a jumpy house after 2 weeks during my daughters 3 birthday..... of course all of that was about 24 years ago! but I'm good... I get stiff and sore
al the time. cold/wet damp wintery days still bring the suck. I was driving within a week.........

--Don't worry........... just be nice the cute nurses..

--Sherpa

DMF

Reaction score
Good luck! You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

grumpy88

Reaction score
Good luck . Trust in the doctors . Modern medicine is amazing

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score

But I guess I can look back at all of the extreme sports stuff I've done, the fun, learning, living pretty large, racing, boating, flying, being in love, building great projects, having good friends, and more. Most people don't get to do that stuff. I'm paying for it now, but at least I was fortunate enough to have the experiences.

...A serious good luck to you... the procedures they use these days are usually done microscopically...I am fused together at four levels in my neck ...I’ve been through it twice... this may sound ridiculous but your biggest concern should be getting constipated from morphine and too many opiates...but due to your pre-existing condition I’m sure you’re fully aware of how to handle the opiates...Good luck man... I’m sure it goes without saying that everybody here will be keeping a good thought for you👍...

HBCraig

Reaction score
Good luck brother. And please take your pain medication, wait 20 minutes then post up. ;)

buck35

Reaction score
Best wishes for a successful outcome ! Glad you got to fish last week and more in the future.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Prayers be with you RRR and hope for a speedy recovery. Modern medicine can perform near miracles these days. Kepp us posted on your progress.

playdeep

Reaction score
Prayers your way Ron...
Look forward to seeing you at the next Eldorado reunion...!

zhandfull

Reaction score
That is a bit scary.
Hang tuff and we all expect to see you back by next weekend. :)

Javajoe

Reaction score
A friend of mine went thru that same thing. He hated the collar but is perfectly fine now. You’ll be good bud

DWC

Reaction score
Good luck. If you need anything don’t hesitate to ask.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Prayers for a successful surgery and a great outcome.

Reactions: DWC

RichL

Reaction score
Wow. Best of luck Sir. Nothing but positive thoughts from here.

nowski

Reaction score
The Lord will be with you before surgery to put you at ease letting you know he's in control. During surgery he'll be leading and guiding the surgical team providing them wisdom and knowledge to perform a successful surgery. After surgery your body will get stronger daily as you make strides to full recovery and painless mobility. Thoughts and Prayers sent...

DB / HAV

Reaction score
Praying for you and your Doctors, hoping for a speedy recovery. Post up when you can.

Reactions: DWC

rrrr

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm feeling wonky about this for some reason. I guess I'm thinking of surgeries I've had that didn't do what they advertised, and I'm too old and beat up to face this shit again.

Oh well, off to bed. 😁

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
My mom has had the surgery more that once. 2x failed. 3rd time took. They did the incision on a "line" in her neck..unless you know its there you wouldn't know it. Follow rehab to a T, and listen to your doc, as well as relay issues you are having. She had the first one when I was around 10..last one when I was in college if I remember right. She has limited mobility as far as turning her head at this point but enjoys the boat and lake just fine unless its very rough and then she won't go out. She's in her early 60s..

Best of luck...its not an easy road but a couple months from now you will be glad you did it.

Edit: BTW your throat will be messed up for a while..it will hurt to swallow etc.. eat soft stuff, nothing spicy etc... they gotta move a lot while they are in there.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Good luck and prayers for a speedy recovery.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Good luck today. At some point we just have to trust the Docs.....

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Hope all goes well. You're fortunate that surgical procedure is available. It is likely to bring you substantial relief. Along with the skills of your surgical team, it's all about the follow-up PT. And once your doctor says you're OK for PT, Hit It and give it hell. It can make all the difference in the world.

port austin pirate

Reaction score
Good luck. I know the feeling about haveing more surgerys after my last one , But iam doin O.K. now and they do things now that are amazing alls gonna go well and youll be back up to speed soon, lots of people pulling and praying for you.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Wish you the best for a speedy and complete recovery

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hoping you have a smooth procedure and a swift recovery!

Sent from my Note 10+ using Tapatalk