WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

13’a15’ Swells Out Front Right Now

Tank

Reaction score
Waters huge. 13-15 foot swell meaning sets up to 20. Stacked up at 8 seconds. 30 MPH wind. Going off out there. Fun to watch nature so it’s thing.

B505A361-2844-43E8-8F17-29C690D7374F.jpeg
0DC5F1F4-957A-4A0B-B392-57E66F27A65E.jpeg
D7B79C57-062E-4C33-9DB3-EC18AE5CF6DB.jpeg
FD4D5299-F25F-45EB-9A7D-A7E094B550EC.jpeg
064D7AEB-BEC5-47BB-9ECF-A123A3B6E616.jpeg

Tank

Reaction score
Some video.

DB / HAV

Reaction score
Pretty awesome and big stuff for that area!! Great spot you have!!

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
When I was 16, I crabed off the Oregon coast one winter. I only made it one week. Captain Glen slid a 80ft trawler backwards on the face of a wave and it broke over the top of the boat. Not only are there big waves out there, there are some monster waves out there.

Tank

Reaction score
What’s that wave graph from

Surf forecast.com. Great app for swell, wind, weather, tides. I never boat in the ocean without it. That and the windy app.

Tank

Reaction score
Pretty awesome and big stuff for that area!! Great spot you have!!
When I was 16, I crabed off the Oregon coast one winter. I only made it one week. Captain Glen slid a 80ft trawler backwards on the face of a wave and it broke over the top of the boat. Not only are there big waves out there, there are some monster waves out there.
It can get VERY big out here. 20 plus foot. Higher on back sides of islands. Especially in the winter. It’s No joke. Gotta respect the ocean, it will hand you your ass if you don’t.

Last edited:

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Miss the sound of the ocean, especially when it’s big.

DB / HAV

Reaction score
It can get VERY big out here. 20 plus foot. Higher on back sides of islands. Especially in the winter. It’s No joke. Gotta respect the ocean, it will hand you your ass if you don’t.
I had no idea it could get that big. It’s absolutely beautiful and yes, a lot of respect for the ocean!!

Tank

Reaction score
I had no idea it could get that big. It’s absolutely beautiful and yes, a lot of respect for the ocean!!
All the time.

That’s why we don’t go out with out checkin the swell and wind. This morning you could see it was gonna be big though. Coming over the break wall with no wind yet. Figure just gonna get worse…it did.

HotRod82

Reaction score
I fired up our little 30' Chaparral Cruiser yesterday and went outside around Point Loma to check out the wildlife and was greeted with giant rollers less than 10 seconds apart.....did an about face and ran for cover. I guess you really should check water conditions before you head out. Lol.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score

Where did you fish out of exactly?

Tank

Reaction score
That channel doesn’t get the respect it should, people that even live here don’t realize what a world class stretch of ocean that is.
It has its days for sure. 😬😉

Tank

Reaction score
The cold water upwelling the spring winds cause is always brutal . I ran down this morning to get a few after a cancellation of work knowing it would be bad, but it only took about 40 min to turn the feet into stumps. Walking home was brutal. I checked after, and it was 51.8 degrees after the last couple days of onshore blast that hit the channel swell window down there.
We were down at the water a couple hours ago looking for sea glass. It was breezy and cold but the swell has come down. Calling fir 8’ at 7 seconds today . Best time of year here is sept through November. That’s our summer. Can’t count how many times we’ve sat on the beach all day with it 80 degrees on a November day. Santa Anna’s (light Santa Anna’s not the brutal ones) come and warm everything up, lay the swell down, blows out all the clouds and crap in the air. My favorite time of year.

But did get some good glass this morning.
image.jpg

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
I fired up our little 30' Chaparral Cruiser yesterday and went outside around Point Loma to check out the wildlife and was greeted with giant rollers less than 10 seconds apart.....did an about face and ran for cover. I guess you really should check water conditions before you head out. Lol.
My SIL took me out of Mission bay a few years back to run down to the Big Bay in His Parker Bass and Bay , skeeeeered shitless at 6 foot rollers personally

DC-88

Reaction score
We were down at the water a couple hours ago looking for sea glass. It was breezy and cold but the swell has come down. Calling fir 8’ at 7 seconds today . Best time of year here is sept through November. That’s our summer. Can’t count how many times we’ve sat on the beach all day with it 80 degrees on a November day. Santa Anna’s (light Santa Anna’s not the brutal ones) come and warm everything up, lay the swell down, blows out all the clouds and crap in the air. My favorite time of year.

View attachment 1114232
Some nice blues ! I got a few fun waves and it was offshore from 630-740 ish. So, there's this big sea glass fair that started in our town 6 or 7 years ago. Just another annoying day the chamber of commerce jams the whole place up, but the attendance is huge. About 4 years ago this biden voter lady got caught a few months prior scattering fresh broken glass down at the pier where people step on a regular basis, and her response was she was doing some "seeding" 🤣. A good one we've done a few times for the beachcombers after the creeks blow out is bring back bags of those multi colored cheap arrowheads from Az getting rid of the obvious fakes, scatter them randomly but heavily on the way to paddle out, then keep an eye from the lineup over the next couple hours .

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
I boarded in Charleston Oregon. The ship was out of Seattle I think.

That's where I was born and raised. My uncle has ran Hallmark Fisheries and the porr of Charleston for over 40yrs. Most of my family down there works or has worked or fished out of there.. I never did. That's why I asked.

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
That's where I was born and raised. My uncle has ran Hallmark Fisheries and the porr of Charleston for over 40yrs. Most of my family down there works or has worked or fished out of there.. I never did. That's why I asked.
I ran those docks from 1974-1978. I could of been a fisherman. I just have a love for it. Life took me inland and another direction. Headed out in the morning to go fishing down south.

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
I ran those docks from 1974-1978. I could of been a fisherman. I just have a love for it. Life took me inland and another direction. Headed out in the morning to go fishing down south.

Do you know a Scott Adams by chance? Jack and harry were the higher ups in that era I believe but I cant remember their last names. Jack also owned Davy Jones Locker back then.

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Do you know a Scott Adams by chance? Jack and harry were the higher ups in that era I believe but I cant remember their last names. Jack also owned Davy Jones Locker back then.
I knew a Scott Smith. I was a kid so I didn't know who owned what. There was a place next to DJs that sold smoked salmon fins. Would buy a bag and go out fishing.

rrrr

Reaction score
I was out there with my board.

Believe it or not I am much better then when I started.

View attachment 1114129
That looks similar to the failure of my attempts to bodyboard at Weimea Bay in the 70s. I got scrubbed along the bottom a few times, which caused quite a bit of coral rash and the pockets of my OP shorts being filled with sand.

And that happened with a pretty small shorebreak. Nothing like these wave videos taken from the right side of the bay.

Tank

Reaction score
Back to “lake pacific” today. No wind, calm waters, mid 70 degrees. Wish the boat was here today Id ROLL OUT!

Actually saw a little yellow Campbell running around in front of the breakwater.

25D95B91-EE59-4D62-8CF8-A5775599E6FD.jpeg

4Waters

Reaction score

View attachment 1114232
Wow, a piece of red, that's rare