WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

15 Years And 3 Days Ago, An Orange Kitten Meowed At Our Door...Today He Went Home...

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well crap,
15 years ago, my cell phone rings, wife's number. It's my two year old daughter on the line, "Orange Kitty?" Wife gets on, and says that an orange cat was on the porch, tiny little kitten, can we keep it? Two more kids, a couple houses and the move to the Az house. This cat, named Simba, had watched my kids grow up. He'd snitch on them if their lights were on in their bedrooms, or were arguing. He'd let me know if the temp was below 70 in the house, he was the "Cat-mom-meter...he was part of the family.

This evening he moved on. We had all been outside, cat watching us through the slider. My older son was a bit off today, oddly intuitive, very emotional...makes you wonder. Daughter comes inside to start dinner. Wife, boys and I were outside still. A few minutes later, daughter opens the slider, "There's something wrong with Simba!" He was taking his last few breathes as I got to inside, wife petting him as he was still purring a bit. Three crying kids, crying wife...but we were all there. My girl said he had started to shake, turned away from the door and just laid down. At least it was quick.

He's buried in the driveway loop, in his newer bed. I'm glad it happened when we were home, and not away, or my middle one here alone with the home school stuff.
I know you all are mostly dog people, and we have them too. This cat was a big part of the kids world, and mine too...

I'll always remember that phone call from my little girl...that same girl was opening a college acceptance letter yesterday...with the cat watching.

I buried some friends this last year. Damn though, watching my whole family cry, my whole world, is horrible. Nothing I could do to help.

rrrr

Reaction score
I'm sorry. Losing a cat is hard. They are just as loving and fun as dogs, and also as smart. It's sad your kids have lost their lifelong companion. Give 'em hugs, it's all you can do.

My buddy Chuck is sixteen, and his kidneys are failing. Every day I spend time with him, watching TV or reading while he sleeps between my legs. A couple of weeks ago he had a head tremor attack and I thought he was going to die. I was upset for days afterwards. I don't want to lose him.

Wedgy

Reaction score
Hang in there good Dad. Prayers for you all. No to worry,, Quite sure our Sassy Cat's 🐈 welcomed Simba at the Pearly Gates.
Cat's Rule, Dog's Drool!!

charitycase

Reaction score
I feel your pain. We lost 1 of our 4 cats a year ago Feb 5th. It still hurts at times but it gets better. Hang in there brother. BTW he was also an orange tabby

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
We lost a couple not too long ago. Definitely sad. Just this morning I stumbled across the little footprint he made in a clay mold for us as a memory. He made it 20 years!

Two new kittens sure help you get over it though.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Very sorry to hear this. I love animals but have a special affection for cats. I have had several that had unique personalities, sounds like Simba did too. I hope your family finds some solace in knowing that the little guy didn't suffer long. Keep the best of memories of him/her and keep the spirit alive.

DLC

Reaction score
I’m Sorry for your loss! Simba won’t be alone on the other side “ Orange Man“ will look out for him and help him adjust.

Orange Man is a Orange Tabby cat, one of the coolest cats I’ve ever met.

rest in peace Simba!

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Always hard to loose a furry member of the family, it never gets easier. RIP Simba!

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Yea, we can all relate. I like dogs but my cat Peanut had a special place in my heart. Planted her a few years ago. Weird Bob is still around though, but at almost 18, his time is short.

LBsuperJET

Well-Known Inmate #1155
Reaction score
Dang man, that brought a quick tear to my eye. I grew up with dogs and love them but wife and I have a couple of cats that are a huge part of ours and our kids lives. Sounds like a great life though. Congrats on daughter's college acceptance!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Well crap,
15 years ago, my cell phone rings, wife's number. It's my two year old daughter on the line, "Orange Kitty?" Wife gets on, and says that an orange cat was on the porch, tiny little kitten, can we keep it? Two more kids, a couple houses and the move to the Az house. This cat, named Simba, had watched my kids grow up. He'd snitch on them if their lights were on in their bedrooms, or were arguing. He'd let me know if the temp was below 70 in the house, he was the "Cat-mom-meter...he was part of the family.

This evening he moved on. We had all been outside, cat watching us through the slider. My older son was a bit off today, oddly intuitive, very emotional...makes you wonder. Daughter comes inside to start dinner. Wife, boys and I were outside still. A few minutes later, daughter opens the slider, "There's something wrong with Simba!" He was taking his last few breathes as I got to inside, wife petting him as he was still purring a bit. Three crying kids, crying wife...but we were all there. My girl said he had started to shake, turned away from the door and just laid down. At least it was quick.

He's buried in the driveway loop, in his newer bed. I'm glad it happened when we were home, and not away, or my middle one here alone with the home school stuff.
I know you all are mostly dog people, and we have them too. This cat was a big part of the kids world, and mine too...

I'll always remember that phone call from my little girl...that same girl was opening a college acceptance letter yesterday...with the cat watching.

I buried some friends this last year. Damn though, watching my whole family cry, my whole world, is horrible. Nothing I could do to help.

I still wake up everyday and think about my dog.. Careful not to step on her when I get out of bed type deal.

I feel your pain, and you have our condolences.

RD

spectras only

Reaction score
We had two Burmese sisters we lost 5 yrs ago. They lived a good long life and died 1 year apart. We finally got another cat [ a rescue ] from the SPCA. It's also and orange/ginger cat, female that's supposed to be rarer than male. SHe was pretty skinny when found wondering on the streets. She fattened up great while at the SPCA. Took her over a month to be comfy in our home. Still a bit jumpy when approached, probably got kicked a few times by cat haters. We're glad we got her and gave her a loving home. Sorry about your puddycat Monkeywrench, I'm sure you guys will miss her for a while. Life goes on , get another cat when the time is right.

Last edited:

wallnutz

Reaction score
I absolutely hate opening these threads and reading the stories. Our pets really do give us unconditional love. It sounds like Simba took care of you family as much as you took care of him. At least your family was there together to share the last breathes and to let him know he was loved. RIP Simba

Last edited:

playdeep

Reaction score
Man...that's rough.
Truly sorry for your loss.
10 years ago I went to animal humane to get a dog right after my father passed.
Came home with an Orange Tabby that was in the infirmary.
It had been tossed in a dumpster.
Can't/don't wanna even imagine losing him.

The old adage of "who saved who"applies...

Last edited:

poncho

Reaction score
Real sorry to hear about your little Buddy, I've always been a dog guy but also seemed to have always had a cat around. My current little Man is 15 and i know the day is coming and i truly dread it, easiest animal i have ever had in my life.

Last edited:
Reaction score
that's ruff, For those who understand, no explanation necessary; for those who don't, no explanation will suffice... (thanks Jerry)

So I've lived in the same House for 46 years I have dogs, cats, hamsters and possible a turtle buried around the house, wondering at what time I'll need a cemetery permit ?

PlanB

Reaction score
Sorry to hear this. I had to take our dog to the vet today, and there was a couple in the parking lot crying. I am sure they had just lost one of their pets. Always hard at end...

poncho

Reaction score
Sorry to hear this. I had to take our dog to the vet today, and there was a couple in the parking lot crying. I am sure they had just lost one of their pets. Always hard at end...
I hate seeing that, seems like every time i go there someone is there with a pet that i have no doubt is not going home...soul crushing.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well, still sucks tonight. Kids were in a funk...wife too...probably didn't sleep well. Last night I posted late because I had tried to remove or relocate Simba's stuff. I figure if my kids are anything like me, an item can send them crashing down. Hell, I still want to call Mom when kids do good, or Pops when I see a roofer doing something more stupid than usual. They've been gone for years.

I did cheer up boys though. Full on Nerf gun assault. It got them laughing, and triggered a Nerf war...which promptly ended when the wife pulled up.

It will be a while before we get another cat. There will be another, but not a replacement. Damn, I still expected him to meet me at the door today, or bulldog the ridgebacks when they came in tonight. The ottoman looks sad now, without his bed...

The sad reality is this, none of us make it out of here alive. It's true of people, and of our more furry family members 😭

rrrr

Reaction score
Well, still sucks tonight. Kids were in a funk...wife too...probably didn't sleep well. Last night I posted late because I had tried to remove or relocate Simba's stuff. I figure if my kids are anything like me, an item can send them crashing down. Hell, I still want to call Mom when kids do good, or Pops when I see a roofer doing something more stupid than usual. They've been gone for years.

I did cheer up boys though. Full on Nerf gun assault. It got them laughing, and triggered a Nerf war...which promptly ended when the wife pulled up.

It will be a while before we get another cat. There will be another, but not a replacement. Damn, I still expected him to meet me at the door today, or bulldog the ridgebacks when they came in tonight. The ottoman looks sad now, without his bed...

The sad reality is this, none of us make it out of here alive. It's true of people, and of our more furry family members 😭

My wife and I were talking tonight about our now gone orange tabbys. There was Banjo, TooCee, BOC (Bad Orange Cat) and Cheesy. BOC and Cheesy have been gone since 2015. It still hurts.

We got another one in June 2019, he was just a baby. Now he's grown up and is a lot of fun. He plays fetch with me and bugs the crap out of the two older cats. You have to move on, I guess. It's going to be hard when Chuck leaves us.

Wedgy

Reaction score

Kindest Regards to you and Fam, MW. Saw this yesterday and hopefully it brings cheer. This Kid's now fifteen.. Billy was the same age when this was filmed. Catch the smile, ya'll. Wake up call!! Rock On

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
:(

Any pics of the little guy?
This is a pic that's on the fridge...had to look and see what year. 2014. Figure thats my now 13yo youngest, just bought him a pair of size 13 running shoes. Same cat would hang out with us when he was a little guy, when he had trouble walking and we did stretches and exercises. Cat saw a lot of the innerworkings of this home.
2021-02-09 08.34.28.jpg

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
I'm really sorry for your loss. I still think about our spike we lost last year. They truly are members of the family.