WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

150hp Merc Tilt Ram

Croc

Reaction score
G,Day
Help (please), i have a 1989 150hp merc, main tilt ram was leaking so i wanted to rekit it. Could not get top pin out, seems to have a small pin cross ways through the centre, not sure if this is pin, dowell or bolt with head broken off. Decided to remove bottom end instead, removed side rams with barrel and found a round cap with springs at bottom of rod, does this unscrew, its bloody tight? Can anyone tell me where i can download diagram of this ram and how it comes apart.
Thanks for your time.
Croc

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
G,Day
Help (please), i have a 1989 150hp merc, main tilt ram was leaking so i wanted to rekit it. Could not get top pin out, seems to have a small pin cross ways through the centre, not sure if this is pin, dowell or bolt with head broken off. Decided to remove bottom end instead, removed side rams with barrel and found a round cap with springs at bottom of rod, does this unscrew, its bloody tight? Can anyone tell me where i can download diagram of this ram and how it comes apart.
Thanks for your time.
Croc

I am not sure if I can find a diagram for you to download but tomorrow I'll try to find someone with an answer..

Reaction score
I will look if I have that book I will get back to you.

tankman

Reaction score
The easiest way to remoe the small pin is to break it (it is very soft) and meant to be replaced. drive out the large pin that goes left to right with a brass or some kind of softer material punch. Any merc dealers should have replacement small pins in stock. Hope this helps

Croc

Reaction score
Thanks Tankman, tried a pin punch on the little pin and it felt pretty hard, will try giving the L-R pin a good wack and see what happens.
Cheers Croc

Reaction score
Thanks Tankman, tried a pin punch on the little pin and it felt pretty hard, will try giving the L-R pin a good wack and see what happens.
Cheers Croc

May need a few good wacks with something softer than ss but Tankman is right. I Looked at the book and he is spot on.

Welcome to RDP Tankman.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The easiest way to remoe the small pin is to break it (it is very soft) and meant to be replaced. drive out the large pin that goes left to right with a brass or some kind of softer material punch. Any merc dealers should have replacement small pins in stock. Hope this helps

Welcome to RDP Tankman. :)

RD

Luv2gofast

Reaction score
The most common failure in those are the seals on the teeter-totter which is in the pump assembly. They are square seals but can be replaced with o-rings. Check the position of the teeter-totter before you remove it so you can get it to the same place when you put the new seals on it. The pressure valves in the ram are not suposed to be dissembled and very seldom have a problem.

Luv2gofast

Reaction score
Also forgot...you don't have to take the pin out to get the pump off. Just remove the right side clamp bracket and then the pump. You have to support the motor while it's off of course.