WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

19' Daytona Project.... Continued!

Backlash

Reaction score
This is the boat I picked up from Community while we were out in Parker over the Father's Day weekend. I will start off by saying that I am really happy with this purchase and I am looking forward to working on and enjoying this boat. It will be a Parker boat and may end up down on the Lower River from time to time.

In case you hadn't been following along, here is the link to the thread that Community started a few years back.

This boat floats and runs which is more than I can say for my Howard project! 😁 That's one of the reasons I grabbed this boat when I found out it was available....I am tired of going to the river with no boat of my own.

This picture below was taken when Community had it out last....

20200506_195450.jpg

Now I'll pick up where he left off! 😉

Backlash

Reaction score
Here we go with some details and some pictures to tell the story.

The hull had been worked on in the past and it looks as though it was capped. The hull is fairly straight and the repairs blend in well with the lines of the original hull. The paint was laid down consistently and was in pretty good condition. It had some spots and contaminants on the surface so the first thing I did was clay bar the surface of the hull. It turned out nice. I then laid down a few coats of ceramic spray wax to try and protect the paint and buffed it out. There are some nicks and scratches that need to be repaired, but I'll worry about those later.

20200620_193730.jpg

Backlash

Reaction score
When Community acquired this boat, he had the transom replaced, the rear portion of the stringers and transom knees installed. The work looks to be solid but I didn't get down inside the hull (Yet!), due to the tight quarters. I'll worry about that later. Anyways, the transom core is all new which is good.

However, there are issues with the drain plug holes. It appears as though they didn't seal up the openings in the core material along the bottom of the transom. There doesn't seem to be any glass or resin on the bottom of the core, and there aren't any drain plug sleeves installed in the transom. As you know, it's a tunnel. So there are three drain plug holes. So for this reason, I didn't back the boat down into the water this weekend nor did I run it. I don't want ANY water getting inside the core of this new transom. At all. That's the problem I ran into with my Howard and I DEFINITELY don't want to have to replace ANOTHER transom anytime soon. So, I'll do the same thing I did on the Howard project. Three fiberglass drain plug sleeves are first on my list. That's today's project. 😉

20200621_095550.jpg

Backlash

Reaction score
Here we go. So these are the drain plugs I'm using on my Howard project, and I like them. I like the fact there is an o-ring on the plug itself and I like that the plug is captured in the housing. You unscrew the plug a few turns to open it up to drain. If for some reason you needed to remove the plug completely, you simply pull the plug and continue to unscrew it. Eventually, it comes all the way out. But not very easily. Anyhow, these are stainless, shiny, and I like them. So these are what I'm putting in the Daytona.

20200623_112516.jpg

Backlash

Reaction score
In post #3, you can see inside the transom of the Daytona and there isnt much there. Hence my fiberglass sleeves. Here is an example of what I'll be doing.

20200623_112535.jpg

These sleeves get glassed to the inside of the transom and essentially eliminate any water intrusion to the core where the drain plug goes.

20200623_112610.jpg

Backlash

Reaction score
Once the sleeve is glassed in, I add more glass and filler on the inside to take up any space between the core, the sleeve and the bottom of the boat. Once it's all covered in glass and faired out, the stainless assembly slides into the sleeve and gets secured. The picture below is of my Howard, but this is what the three drain plug holes will look like on the Daytona.

20200623_112627.jpg

You'll notice that the assembly has three screw holes that are used to mount it to the hull. Once the above glass work is finished, I'll mark the hull where these three holes will get drilled. I will then over-drill the holes into the transom and will insert epoxy resin inside the screw holes. Once it cures, I'll again drill out the three holes to the correct screw size and secure the drain plugs to the hull.

Reactions: D19

Backlash

Reaction score
For the sleeves, I simply used a piece of 1" electrical conduit as a mold. I wrapped the conduit a few times with wax paper and taped the paper to itself.

20200623_114406.jpg

After that, I cut out some 1708 fiberglass cloth a little larger than I'll need. I mixed up some vinylester resin and coated the pieces of cloth down liberally, making sure to completely wet out the cloth. Then I simply wrapped the cloth around the conduit and wax paper, squeezing things tight to squeeze out any excess resin.

20200623_115718.jpg

Last edited:

Backlash

Reaction score
I repeated this step three times and a few minutes later, I had three drain plug sleeves slapped together. The edges are rough and they need to be ground smooth, but I'll do that once these fully cure.

20200623_125237.jpg

That's all for now! Thank you for following along!

😉

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
I had a 91 kevlar Daytona with a 2.5, 280 HP - that hull runs wet, so I used “ Duckies” in all 3 holes. Most of the water would come in over the back, even with the black glass piece that Eliminator sold. As soon as I moved forward at all, all the water in the boat would drain. Doesn’t take much to bring the back end down, so be careful ! I had an 18” setback bracket, but it was still low in the water at rest

Backlash

Reaction score
This hull currently has about 14-16" of setback the way it sits. Looking at the picture I posted of Community standing next to the boat, you can see the attitude of the hull at rest. Having the little hatch behind the rear seat should help a little bit with taking on water, but I will absolutley be careful accelerating AND coming off plane. The boat currently has three non-working bilge pumps, but that is something else I will be addressing on the "To do" list. 😉

Lenmann, I can't ignore this particular problem! Hahahaa! I have no choice but to fix it. But believe me, I do NOT want to have to tear into this thing. That's why I was excited to get it. Most of the hard work had already been done and all that's really left to do is fix some small issues here and there. That's the plan anyways!!! 😁

It should be fun to work on, and it will be fun getting used to it too. I cant wait!!

Backlash

Reaction score
Another thing that I will address is the temporary placement of the accelerator pedal. Community disclosed this to me early on and told me he had plans of installing things differently, but he hadn't had the time to do it.

20200620_193827.jpg

With the pedal situated this high above the tunnels, it's really uncomfortable and is tight in it's current location. My shin is pressed up against the wheel in the image below, and I'm a skinny dude. 😁

20200621_093416.jpg

Last edited:

Backlash

Reaction score
I took some measurements of things and will begin the process of building mounts and brackets to relocate the pedal assembly down to the hull bottom. This will move it slightly to the right and down between the tunnels about 5". With these hulls, space is at a premium and there isn't a lot of wiggle room. Time to get creative. 😎

Backlash

Reaction score
Another issue I want to address are the seats and how they are currently mounted in the boat. The front seats are screwed down to the main stringer with one screw each and one bolt each. The bolt on each seat extends through the side of each seat into the gunnels where it's tightened down. Everything will stay in its current location, but will be a lot more secure for me and the unlucky passenger willing to ride with me. 😁 When I pull the seats to redo the mounts, I will also double check to make sure the bases have a thick coating of resin and/or glass on them.

Backlash

Reaction score
During the time I was working out the deal to purchase this boat, Community told me the bilge pumps weren't working. He told me when he tested the boat, the bilges all remained dry. So I knew in advance that I would have to look into this issue as well, which is perfectly fine with me. I honestly enjoy this type of work so it truly doesn't bother me. As I was poking my head down inside the small compartment behind the rear seat, I'll just say it looks "Busy." 😁

20200621_094626.jpg

So, the boat has two battery trays mounted up against the stringer knees on the tops of the tunnels, without any batteries. Instead, a single battery is actually slid underneath the middle of the rear seat. Everything is wired to this battery and the few functions I did check, appeared to work properly.

20200621_094602.jpg

As I stated earlier, the goal is NOT to tear into this boat and rip everything apart. The goal is to get out and use it. But I WILL be installing new bilge pumps. So while I am down in the hole, I may clean some things up a little bit.

Last edited:

Backlash

Reaction score
This picture shows the discharge tube from one of the bilge pumps. So I'll be correcting this as well.

😉

20200621_094700.jpg

Community put together a nice stereo package for this rocket, but I need to add some 6x9's. The side panels behind the seats are already cut for the speakers, but they were not included in the sale. I removed the panels so that I could bring them home and clean them up before installing new speakers. When I pulled them out (2 bolts for each panel), I was able to see down into the sponsons where the fuel tanks are secured.

I don't know whether or not this wire is connected, but I dont like that it's just resting on the top of the tank. There is another frayed wire on top of the second fuel tank that I will also trace and either remove, or reattach it to whatever it's supposed to be attached to. Fun times for sure! 😁

20200621_094743.jpg

Backlash

Reaction score
So, as you can see, I have a few little wrinkles to iron out before we back this sled down the ramp and put a few water spots on her. I hope it doesn't sound as though I'm upset or irritated about the way things look in the photos. This is NOT a callout thread nor am I the least bit disappointed with the condition of this boat. Quite the contrary. I couldn't be happier!!! I just want to make sure everything works correctly so that my family and I can safely enjoy this new to us toy.

Now I just have to patiently wait for the first of many deliveries to show up. 😎

lenmann

Reaction score
Quote: "So while I am down in the hole, I may clean some things up a little bit."

That's a slippery slope you're on right there, careful...I said that once, next thing I knew I had resto thread on RDP with 24,000 views.

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
Mine had the natural wood parkay floor showing, and man did that make it cool!!! The seats were held by a powder coated piece that went from " far side of stringer to far side of stringer " which i THINK was factory install. With a stock carb 2.5, solid 100 MPH GPS, but not much in the water at that speed. I named the boat " Killer" and after i kited it ONE time with my son sitting next to me ( had a discussion with the BIG MAN during the slow down of time, while i was vertical, promised if he let us live, i'd sell the boat ) we landed, didn't break anything, and it was gone that week - never ran it again - killing my son or myself was too high a price for the fun, but when i hit the go pedal, it would litterly leap out like a drag boat!!!!! That part never got old, plus sking behind a boat with absolutely NO WAKE is incredable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Backlash

Reaction score
Awesome story and I'm glad you all walked away without any injuries! I hope NOT to repeat that!!! 😲

I know these hulls are sensitive to weight and I'm considering moving some things around. I've thought about mounting the batteries further forward up towards the sides of the rear seat, or even up in front of the forward bulkhead. I dont want to move things too much to defeat the designs of the hull, but I also dont want to repeat what you did. So I'm going to probably wait a bit for that....but the gears are spinning for sure.

Backlash

Reaction score
Good morning! I made a little more progress on some pieces for this boat. Some scrap maple.....

20200626_165946.jpg

.....and some 2" aluminum angle.....

20200626_173207.jpg

Backlash

Reaction score
And I ended up with these.

20200627_081335.jpg

These are the beginnings of the new platform I'll install for the accelerator pedal in the boat. The plan is to cut angles into these pieces of maple so that the angles closely match the angles of the inside of the tunnel, near the lowest part of the hull. I'll glass these pieces up and then glass them into the hull. Then I'll bolt these two pieces of aluminum into the glassed in strips of maple. At that point, I can finalize the measurement in between the two pieces of aluminum and cut some aluminum plate. Once that piece of plate is cut to the correct size, I can lower the accelerator pedal down onto the plate and install that. Once everything fits correctly, I can then pull it all back out and the have the pieces powder coated. 😁

Backlash

Reaction score
We also picked up three new Johnson bilge pumps today. There is a 1000gph pump for the main well in the transom, and two 500gph pumps that will each rest in one the two rear sponsons.

20200626_183058.jpg

Even though the automatic switch isn't shown in the picture above, all three are manual/automatic bilge pumps. 👍

I also got some new Eddie Marine billet battery trays to add to this project too. Has to look good right?! 😁

Backlash

Reaction score
Good afternoon! I spent a little time playing around with the wood and aluminum pieces above. I got the holes all drilled through the aluminum and the maple pieces and countersunk the holes on what will be the backsides of these pieces. The set of longer maple strips and aluminum will be for the accelerator pedal mount. The shorter pieces are for a battery mount that I'm planning to install in front of the accelerator pedal and mount. I want to run two batteries, but would like to run one up front and one in the back closer to the transom.

20200629_130116.jpg

I took some rough measurements of the inside of the tunnels and came up with a 10° angle. This would mean the insides of the tunnels rise up from the keel at about 100°, plus or minus. I'll need to confirm that when we remove a sliver of carpet from each side of the tunnel, but that's a good starting point. So, I cut the backsides of each of the maple pieces at 100°. This way, the aluminum angle "Should be" 90° to the hull bottom and the sides of the tunnels. Doing this will allow me to keep the plate mounted parallel with the bottom of the boat. It will make more sense once I glass this all in. 😉

20200628_192509.jpg

Backlash

Reaction score
I also cut out some inner fender panels from some 1/2" plywood. These are really close to the finished size, but I want to double check everything before I drill the holes, coat these with epoxy and cover them with carpet.

20200628_193226.jpg

Just a few small updates but forward progress is progress nonetheless! 😁 Have a great day and stay safe!

Backlash

Reaction score
Duramax, thank you Sir!

I'm really happy with the boat and have enjoyed the little bit of time I've had to work on it. Just finished picking up some more parts, so hopefully I'll get the chance to do some glass work this afternoon. Nothing like waiting for the heat of the day! 🤣

Backlash

Reaction score
Good morning Happy 4th of July!!

I got the transom re-drilled and glassed the tubes in last night. Let everything set up and then ground things down this morning. It's coming along great!!

20200703_184108.jpg

20200703_194051.jpg

Backlash

Reaction score
20200704_112927.jpg

20200704_111444.jpg

Time to drill out the mounting holes on all three and fill them with epoxy. Once that cures I can install these and move on to the next project!

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
You’re doing it really right - it’s going to be AWESOME when you get it done. Obviously BETTER than original. The details are what makes the difference, and you KNOW it’s going to get wet from BOTH sides, so what you’re doing isn’t a waste, it’s a nessiciety

Backlash

Reaction score
MCOB, thank you for the kind words and support! Yes Sir, these boats do have a tendency to get wet as you well know! Goal number one is to try and preserve the hard work (And money!), that went into this transom replacement. I want to try and seal up every possible way that water has to get into the core. I have done transom and stringer replacements in the past and it is no fun at all! 🤬

Backlash

Reaction score
Good morning! I spent some time this weekend working on the electrical system on this boat. This is NOT the final rendition of how this will all be. This is temporary and the goal was to simply start cleaning things up. Moving the battery forward and laying it on its side will allow me to mount the rear seat properly. The previous battery was too tall and prevented the rear seat from being secured to the stringers as the seat base sat directly on the battery caps. No bueno.

By moving the battery forward, this meant the old battery cables were now too short. So I needed to install some longer cables to power the motor. Easy peezy!

Getting the wiring sorted out and secured out of the way will allow me to see what goes where, what needs to be replaced and what doesn't, and will make it easier for me to get down in the bilge to finish glassing in the drain plug holes. Baby steps! 😉

20200711_181903.jpg

I also installed one of the new NoCo battery charger/maintainers. It's small and simply plugs into an extension cord when not in use.

The good news is the motor fires up and runs good, but the bilge pumps don't work and the CMC jackplate doesn't raise or lower. So those issues are next to be addressed.

As always, thank you for following along!

lenmann

Reaction score
Looking good! One step closer to neat and tidy. I like it.

Backlash

Reaction score
Thank you Sir! There is still a ways to go, but it's definitely a LOT better than it was before. Just a reminder......

20200622_194258.jpg

😁

Backlash

Reaction score
Good evening I hope everyone is doing well and staying safe! Just got back from a beautiful weekend in Parker and we had a great time! To say it was hot is a complete understatement! I heard rumors it was 123 out there!! 😲😁👍

Just a little update. So the transom issues on this boat have been addressed and the drain plug sleeves are all sealed up. No water leaked through any of the flanges or through the plugs. Success!!

As I was down in the back of the boat trying to sort out the bilge pump issue, I got a little carried away and then, sidetracked.

The electrical "System" was really bugging me and it was hard to figure out where things went. I know most of the wires make their way up to the dash, but it was a complete mess. There was crap everywhere, tangled wires, wires cut and left hanging, household wiring, etc. So, I got to work. After I worked everything loose, straightened things out inside the transom, I continued up along the gunnel towards the driver's seat. This was my view, just to give you an idea....

20200801_075522.jpg

So I spent another hour working on this mess, disconnecting wires, untwisting them, cutting out a ton of random cable ties....basically sorting out a bowl of spaghetti.

This is what I ended up with. Not too bad considering I was working on this in the heat.....

20200801_104222.jpg

Backlash

Reaction score
The work I did was not the final product. I was just trying to get things cleaned up and out of the way while trying to figure out "What went where."

Still couldn't sort out the existing bilge pump program. None of the three worked even after tracing the wires up to the dash. "F" it! I was hot and tired of working on this thing. 😁 I threw the two front seats back in and told the kids they had to sit this ride out.

We backed it down the ramp and got things running. I threw my lightweight tiny wife up over the low side of the hull and snuggled her into the front passenger seat. Let's go! 😁🎉

Saturday afternoon on the Strip with the Little Lady by my side! Hot damn! 😎

I jacked the motor down, rolled on the throttle and over the top she came. The motor sounded good, was squirting water out the back and we were scooting right along! The shoreline started to pass by a little more quickly so I trimmed her up a bit and started to raise the motor. I looked back and couldn't believe my eyes!

Reactions: DWC

Backlash

Reaction score
Water was pouring over the back of the boat right down inside the hull! 😲

Basically, the jackplate was creating a shovel-like effect. It was scooping the water up that was passing underneath the hull. This then forced the water upward and redirected it off the transom swivel bracket and aimed it directly forward right back over the transom! It was essentially filling up the boat as we sped along! FOCK!!!!

And no functional bilges..... 🤣🤣

Backlash

Reaction score
So I quickly raised the jackplate up a bit which slowed the flow of the water back into the boat. I ran upriver about a mile then turned around and headed back to the ramp. By now the water was about a foot deep inside the back of the boat! 🤣

As I was pulling back in to the marina, an alarm went off. I knew it wasn't a "High water alarm," because there wasn't anything like that down inside the hull. 😁 My wife thought that's what it was. Nope, probably just a fried impeller. 🙄

Back on the trailer she went.

Backlash

Reaction score
We pulled the watertight drain plugs and released the flow. It took two days for everything to dry out...even with the 120° temps this weekend!! So instead of enjoying the boat for the rest of the weekend, I started gathering more parts for the motor and will replace them on our next trip out. Hahaahaa!! All in all, things went moderately well for the 5 minutes we ran the boat! 🤣

Backlash

Reaction score
The previously mentioned jackplate issue was an easy fix. A burned up fuse. So I replaced that and she worked great.

20200731_083353.jpg

I picked up an impeller and one of the two thermostats I need to replace. They didnt have an entire impeller kit, so I just picked up the impeller itself. Slim pickings at the parts house this weekend. I popped out the thermostats and they look different than what I was told to buy. So I'll double check these items here in L.A. this week and make sure I get the correct parts. While peeking around underneath the cowling, I saw some interesting things I'll need to fix in the future.

Here's just one example.

20200802_110226.jpg

Anyhow, we had a great weekend even though things didn't go as planned. 😉 This thread is starting to sound like another outboard thread with alarms sounding and impellers taking a crap! 😁 LMAO!

Stay safe and thanks for following along!

Last edited:

lenmann

Reaction score
Dude! The series of post started out so promising. I was actually feeling happy for you that you had the boat in the water, wifey by your side, underway and on your way to packing air in that tunnel. And then BAM back down the rabbit hole.

I love the positive, never die attitude though. Hang in there and endeavor to persevere, good times are just around the corner.

It's a good thing you like working on stuff and clearly have skills.

Backlash

Reaction score
Thank you for the positive vibes my friend!!! I'm definitely short on skills over here, but I'm not a quitter! I'll get this mofo running dont you worry!! 😉

It was actually pretty funny to be honest with you! When I looked back and saw that waterfall dumping inside the transom, I couldn't help but laugh! Hahahaa! I just said "Fu@k it!" I WAS going to throw it back on the trailer real quick, dump the water out the drains, and then head back out for some more fun. But when the alarm went off on the motor, I figured I'd better shut it down to avoid doing any damage. Probably just a simple fix, so no worries! Again, thank you for the kind words of encouragement! How is your project coming along???

Duramax

Reaction score
What a great thread! We are just starting to enjoy our Daytona too, and like you, I am slowly starting to clean things up. Great job my friend!!!

Backlash

Reaction score
Thank you Duramax! It's been a labor of love that's for sure! I'm sure my wife is less than thrilled that we've had the boat for a few months now and only enjoyed it for 5 minutes! 🤣 I'll keep plugging away on it and I'll get things sorted out! Thanks for following along Sir! 👍

lenmann

Reaction score
Thank you for the positive vibes my friend!!! I'm definitely short on skills over here, but I'm not a quitter! I'll get this mofo running dont you worry!! 😉

It was actually pretty funny to be honest with you! When I looked back and saw that waterfall dumping inside the transom, I couldn't help but laugh! Hahahaa! I just said "Fu@k it!" I WAS going to throw it back on the trailer real quick, dump the water out the drains, and then head back out for some more fun. But when the alarm went off on the motor, I figured I'd better shut it down to avoid doing any damage. Probably just a simple fix, so no worries! Again, thank you for the kind words of encouragement! How is your project coming along???

My heap is down in SoCal for gelcoat. Starting to collect the parts to rig it over the winter with a plan to get it wet next summer.

Thats the plan anyway, you know how plans and boat restorations go though...

lenmann

Reaction score
If you mean Chuck McConnell, then no. Regrettably he passed away last year.

His team is still together and are working out of the same location in Castaic along side of Menace Marine who took over the space that Mario at SoCal Marine vacated when he relocated to Havasu. They are doing the regel on my boat. I hope to have it back in November...

Backlash

Reaction score
Now that you mention it, I remember hearing about his passing. Thank you for the reminder. I think yours is in good hands and should turn out beautiful!! What colors are you going with on the regel?

Backlash

Reaction score
So, while we were out in Parker, I ran into town to pick up a new impeller and some new thermostats. The guys at the parts house gave me what they believed was the correct parts. They didn't have a complete impeller kit, but had an impeller. So I bought it. They found one of the two thermostats I needed, so I bought that too. We went back home and I started taking things apart.

Here are the thermostats I pulled from the motor.

20200807_144706.jpg

They looked used and had some buildup on them, so I figured it would be good to swap them out.

Here is what the "Old" looked like compared to the new one I had just purchased.

20200807_144743.jpg