WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

19 hours on the I 95 in *20 degree weather , hows that Tesla heater holding out ?

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Cant read the article because of a paywall, but If I were given a choice of which to be stuck with on a blizzard I'd pick the tesla.

The new cars with heat pumps fare better than a gasoline car. You can hunker down long time in one - they store about the same energy a house uses for three days.

You cant run a heater in an ice car without using gasoline, and you cant run a seat heater because they run off the 12V system.

I think either car can make it a day pretty easy.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Cant read the article because of a paywall, but If I were given a choice of which to be stuck with on a blizzard I'd pick the tesla.

The new cars with heat pumps fare better than a gasoline car. You can hunker down long time in one - they store about the same energy a house uses for three days.

You cant run a heater in an ice car without using gasoline, and you cant run a seat heater because they run off the 12V system.

Depends on how much gas is in the car or charge in the batteries. Lets face it if you are stuck out on the road and know you might be snowed in, It is a lot easier to top off with gas/find a gas station beforehand.

I think you'd be fine in both for a day. I was watching a Motor Mythbuster episode and they proved that the heater uses a ton more energy than the AC in an electric car. I found that interesting.

Roosky01

Reaction score
I got stuck in a blizzard in Western IA on I-80 back in 2005, I think. Interstate came to a halt at about 9:30am or so and we were hauled about 5 miles into town on snowmobile by a sheriff's deputy at 11:00pm that evening. Spent 2 nights in the school gymnasium on a Red Cross cot.

It's a scary feeling when you stop and have over 3/4 of a tank of gas and are down to about fumes when they finally picked us up. and I was trying to run it just enough to stay alive the last 6 hours or so.

What really sucked is that there was a brand new Prevost motor home stuck next to us so I went and knocked on his door thinking we could turn this into a fun party we could tell stories about forever. Door opens and the thing was empty with basically the seat and a steering wheel. the dude was delivering it to be built out...

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Depends on how much gas is in the car or charge in the batteries. Lets face it if you are stuck out on the road and know you might be snowed in, It is a lot easier to top off with gas/find a gas station beforehand.

I think you'd be fine in both for a day. I was watching a Motor Mythbuster episode and they proved that the heater uses a ton more energy than the AC in an electric car. I found that interesting.

EV heater used to be resistance based (glowing wire) but a few years ago they switched to heat pumps - same draw as AC.

The Ev's parked at home start out full every day so you odds of starting fully juiced are better than having a full tank because no one fills up every day.
(unless in a discussion about electric cars LOL)

assuming both full Id pick the EV.

Partial fill it depends on what was closest fuel or juice. If I was closer to gas- that'd be my call.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
EV heater used to be resistance based (glowing wire) but a few years ago they switched to heat pumps - same draw as AC.

The Ev's parked at home start out full every day so you odds of starting fully juiced are better than having a full tank because no one fills up every day.
(unless in a discussion about electric cars LOL)

assuming both full Id pick the EV.

Partial fill it depends on what was closest fuel or juice. If I was closer to gas- that'd be my call.

My thinking was if you are stuck somewhere, you are obviously far from your house and a by extension a full charge. I think being fully charged and snowed in down the street from the charging station seems unlikely. And we are assuming it is a longer range EV like a Tesla, not a Fiat 500e.

I will look and see if that car they used was a heat pump. I thought they said that it was but I don't remember.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
My thinking was if you are stuck somewhere, you are obviously far from your house and a by extension a full charge. I think being fully charged and snowed in down the street from the charging station seems unlikely. And we are assuming it is a longer range EV like a Tesla, not a Fiat 500e.

I will look and see if that car they used was a heat pump. I thought they said that it was but I don't remember.

What is always amusing are the guys with 2WD trucks that cant get out their driveways.

If you are drifted in with a leaf or Fiat 500 you are hosed.

Flatsix66

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I parked my model 3 at Ontario airport and left for five days. When I came back I noticed my car used about 70 miles of range while parked, turns out I set something so that the climate control stayed at 72f the whole time. Had to hit the Eastvale supercharger for 10 minutes to have enough juice to get home safely.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I will say while not snowed in, my friend and I took a trip after Thanksgiving up to Portland in his Subaru WRX and the heater core broke on the trip. Driving in that car all night through 20 degree mountains with fogged up windows with no heat in shorts and a t shirt was the coldest night I've ever experienced.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
What is always amusing are the guys with 2WD trucks that cant get out their driveways.

If you are drifted in with a leaf or Fiat 500 you are hosed.

You just dig your way back into yore house at that point :)

But this is why I live in warm states lol.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I parked my model 3 at Ontario airport and left for five days. When I came back I noticed my car used about 70 miles of range while parked, turns out I set something so that the climate control stayed at 72f the whole time. Had to hit the Eastvale supercharger for 10 minutes to have enough juice to get home safely.
Thaaaaaats not good.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
The "start stop switch" doesnt over ride accessories ?

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
The "start stop switch" doesnt over ride accessories ?

You have several shut down options.

He could and should have shut the car down, but he probably just walked away which is like leaving a gas car running but locked.

There are different modes you can pick.

Sentry mode - kills Ac but activates all cameras and records them the second some one comes by your rig - great for those mystery parking damages.

Dog mode - keeps Ac on a hot day so you can go in store and not kill rover or get a ticket for inhumane treatment, or a broken window from some do gooder.

Camp mode shuts everything down but climate control so you can be comfy overnight.

Joe mode - shuts off all interior sounds and lighting for removing a sleeping kid from the car.

Last edited:

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
You have serval shut down options.

He could and should have shut the car down, but he probably just walked away which is like leaving a gas car running but locked.

There are different modes you can pick.

Sentry mode - kills Ac but activates all cameras and records them the second some one comes by your rig - great for those mystery parking damages.

Dog mode - keeps Ac on a hot day so you can go in store and not kill rover or get a ticket for inhumane treatment, or a broken window from some do gooder.

Camp mode shuts everything down but climate control so you can be comfy overnight.

Joe mode - shuts off all interior sounds and lighting for removing a sleeping kid from the car.
What about Party Mode?

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
I will say while not snowed in, my friend and I took a trip after Thanksgiving up to Portland in his Subaru WRX and the heater core broke on the trip. Driving in that car all night through 20 degree mountains with fogged up windows with no heat in shorts and a t shirt was the coldest night I've ever experienced.

And you didnt even stop so I could buy you a beer.. what a dick!

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score

How much trash did you see on the sides of I-5 rolling through Oregon? Asking for a friend🤣🤣

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
How much trash did you see on the sides of I-5 rolling through Oregon? Asking for a friend🤣🤣

This was like 15 years ago. I would have hit you up if it was more recent :) At the time there was trash in the areas you'd expect.. not nearly as bad as today I'm sure.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
my buddy is effected by this big time!!. been without power in his house for 2 days now and expected another 2 to go. house is at 55 degrees inside. No gas at the stations no electricity. He has been running the bare essentials and a space heater on a small generator but is almost out of gas.

Canuck 1

Midget Hater
Reaction score

I get that you are a fan of electric vehicles but the reality is not what you wish it to be, cold kills and taking a chance on the false belief that your wonder car can do what nothing else can is a stupid assumption. The video above answers the real questions

River Runnin

Reaction score
And these leaf licking cork soakers will still blame it on that climate global warming BULLSHIT!

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

Did you pay any attention to what you posted?

From the vid description -

This is a 2018 Long Range Tesla Model 3 with a resistive heater, not the new heat pump. Newer heat pump Tesla cars will have much better efficiency, although it will still be reduced in extreme cold!

Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 4.58.17 PM.png

Last edited:

bk2drvr

Reaction score
The car can keep you warm or cool for days.

Did you pay any attention to what you posted?

From the vid description -

This is a 2018 Long Range Tesla Model 3 with a resistive heater, not the new heat pump. Newer heat pump Tesla cars will have much better efficiency, although it will still be reduced in extreme cold!

View attachment 1078601 I watched the video and yes he clearly states (and is correct) that battery life deteriorates faster in colder weather. In his case he was getting approx half the amount of miles at -10 degrees. So if he was stopped for 19 hours and not using the batteries to propel the car forward, how long would his batteries last? Probably days? I’d probably prefer to be in my Tesla than a gas car with the engine running if I had the choice with say half or 3/4 charge. I could watch Netflix on my 17” screen the whole time too. Lol….

I watched the video and yes he clearly states (and is correct) that battery life deteriorates faster in colder weather. In his case he was getting approx half the amount of miles at -10 degrees. So if he was stopped for 19 hours and not using the batteries to propel the car forward, how long would his batteries last? Probably days? I’d probably prefer to be in my Tesla than a gas car with the engine running if I had the choice with say half or 3/4 charge. I could watch Netflix on my 17” screen the whole time too. Lol….

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I watched the video and yes he clearly states (and is correct) that battery life deteriorates faster in colder weather. In his case he was getting approx half the amount of miles at -10 degrees. So if he was stopped for 19 hours and not using the batteries to propel the car forward, how long would his batteries last? Probably days? I’d probably prefer to be in my Tesla than a gas car with the engine running if I had the choice with say half or 3/4 charge. I could watch Netflix on my 17” screen the whole time too. Lol….

He has an older non heat pump car, and as you said he's driving.

The test I posted earlier shows you can last for days just sitting.

The EV is extremely efficient under this circumstance.

Taboma

Reaction score
He has an older non heat pump car, and as you said he's driving.

The test I posted earlier shows you can last for days just sitting.

The EV is extremely efficient under this circumstance.
Do the Tesla HP's go into defrost mode when heating, like our home units ? Do they provide resistive heat during that stage, or just bypass the outlets altogether when defrost turns them into an AC unit ?

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Do the Tesla HP's go into defrost mode when heating, like our home units ? Do they provide resistive heat during that stage, or just bypass the outlets altogether when defrost turns them into an AC unit ?

Thats a good question -do not know.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Such a ridiculous argument! LoL

I was sitting stuck in traffic leaving SoFi stadium the other night thinking...

There is no WAY I'd ever own a Stupid electric car. You get stuck in traffic somewhere, for ANY reason, and your SCREWED!

Was sitting in my friends ML350 (diesel) with the tunes blasting, the climate control set to cozy, seat heaters cranked and the headlights on with over an hour drive to get home AFTER we broke free of traffic with no worries.

I'm gonna guess anyone who owns an electric car never played with a battery powered RC car when they were a kid!

😁😝

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
In the end when you run out of gas or battery they walk around looking for some poor truck driver to let them in.😂

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Such a ridiculous argument! LoL

I was sitting stuck in traffic leaving SoFi stadium the other night thinking...

There is no WAY I'd ever own a Stupid electric car. You get stuck in traffic somewhere, for ANY reason, and your SCREWED!

Was sitting in my friends ML350 (diesel) with the tunes blasting, the climate control set to cozy, seat heaters cranked and the headlights on with over an hour drive to get home AFTER we broke free of traffic with no worries.

I'm gonna guess anyone who owns an electric car never played with a battery powered RC car when they were a kid!

😁😝

Problem is you have it backward.

Sitting doing nothing/ running cabin Hvac - they just dont use energy.
Its rolling and wind resistance that depletes range or extreme cold

These things have been real for over a decade now and this place still hasn't caught up.

Last edited:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Problem is you have it backward.

Sitting doing nothing/ running cabin Hvac - they just dont use energy.
Its rolling and wind resistance that depletes range or extreme cold

These things have been real for over a decade now and this place still hasn't caught up.

Wrong...

I didn't have Anything backwards. Just about all my vehicles are diesel, and it will stay that way as long as possible.

Fuck batteries! 🤣

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Wrong...

I didn't have Anything backwards. Just about all my vehicles are diesel, and it will stay that way as long as possible.

Fuck batteries! 🤣

Actually when it comes to sitting in traffic you do. The Ev will run for days like that.

The inmates here that dont know how they work need to hear it.

The guys that own them already know this.

Fuck batteries - yes - but fuck them for the right reasons - not the wrong ones.

spectras only

Reaction score
diesel engines use barely any fuel while idling, just ask people up north in Canada who use their truck for living .
I would guess an PS Ford or Duramax Chevy could easily idle between 30-40 hours and give cozy and warm heat inside.
Buy a diesel truck and keep the tanks near full and stop worry about getting stuck for 16 to 24 hours . ;)