WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

19 schiada help

Bugginout

Reaction score
Question for you guy's. We are redoing my buddies 19 ft schiada and would like to know some opinions on removing the foam under the bow. Is it a good idea? It was having a hard time carrying the nose last year and it is upside down now to re gel the bottom. Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Attachments

• 30600.jpeg
    30600.jpeg
    48 KB · Views: 128
  • 30601.jpeg
    30601.jpeg
    62.2 KB · Views: 129

Hydroman55

Reaction score
Question for you guy's. We are redoing my buddies 19 ft schiada and would like to know some opinions on removing the foam under the bow. Is it a good idea? It was having a hard time carrying the nose last year and it is upside down now to re gel the bottom. Thanks in advance for any and all input.
That foam isn’t a big deal unless it’s wet relating to weight. Could save your ass if it ever sinks nose will be up, get another boat with a rope attach to bow eye HIT IT and a bucket to bail, back on the trailer. If you remove, stick some air pillows up there and all is good too. Trust me been there done that and having the bow floating a couple feet above the water is a big help to get your sunk, swamped, crashed shit home.

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
My foam was destroyed an crumbling when I got to it....... 46yrs old it’s to be expected, I doubt had it got wet that it would keep anything floating. It was consistent with that florist foam and crumbled just like it.......

sonicss31

Reaction score
For what it’s worth people remove the foam from older Checkmate’s all the time. Helps immensely to carry the bow higher.
D51A8D93-1487-4665-860B-654C54149616.jpeg

Hydroman55

Reaction score
My foam was destroyed an crumbling when I got to it....... 46yrs old it’s to be expected, I doubt had it got wet that it would keep anything floating. It was consistent with that florist foam and crumbled just like it.......
Well there is that, like I said air pillows, just throw 6 of them up under the deck and done. I’m talking about the sealed ones, Not sure where you would buy today but available in the 70s. My Brendella Hydro came with them. Saved my ass when the boat rolled and stayed in one piece with easy recovery.

Backlash

Reaction score
You can reinstall new foam that doesn't absorb water, just for peace of mind. Some guys also used to glass in a small bulkhead near the bow that acted like a sealed compartment. This would also help float the bow if the boat was ever sunk. Also heard of putting giant inflated inner tubes up under the deck to essentially do the same thing.

I'll probably be adding foam in my 19' when we get to that point. The trick is it has to be in an enclosed compartment that is as watertight as possible to prevent absorbing any water. I still havent decided which route I'm going to take though.

Bugginout

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guy's. Talked to Connelly yesterday and we are getting it all out.

Gone_Flat

Reaction score
Also heard of guys taping a bunch of swim noodles together and throwing them under the bow . If two of them holds my fat ass i wouldnt need many to float the nose .