WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

1969 Mandella

73mandella

Reaction score
Just picked up a 1969 Mandella marathon/long deck. Don't have much history on the boat. If you have some, please add.

Attachments

• IMG_5095 b.jpg
    IMG_5095 b.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_5074.jpg
    IMG_5074.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_5076.jpg
    IMG_5076.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 401

santos4racing

Reaction score
Just picked up a 1969 Mandella marathon/long deck, but wife isn't too fond of the art work. Don't have much history on the boat. If you have some, please add.

Does it have a Ford in it, registered on Montana????

73mandella

Reaction score
This is my brother-in-law's Mandella step deck.

IMG_0506.jpg IMG_0509.jpg IMG_0510.jpg

73mandella

Reaction score
I mentioned in another thread that I need to be careful what I say to my wife and son. That time it was about a tunnel ram for the 1973 Mandella. Since we're finally done with it and are now enjoying using it, I mentioned that it would be great to find a long deck Mandella. I looked for years and failed to pull the trigger on a couple I found. My son took it to heart and found a long deck. After a few phone calls, my wife's insistence that we not lose this one, some negotiating with my brother-in-law's help, and a trip to the river, we now own a 1969 long deck Mandella. The plan is to finish my father-in-law's 1979 Eliminator Sprint first and we can then start on the long deck. My guess is it will take another six months to finish the Eliminator.

The basic plan is to paint (maybe gelcoat) the Mandella deck white and the bottom brown. My wife wants it to look somewhat like Raw-Hide, except that she doesn't like metal flake. I wanted a blower motor, but that is out, so I'm planning on a naturally aspirated 800+ HP engine and my son wants it Ford powered. He built a 691HP Ford for his 1977 Caribbean jet (the old family boat he grew up with). It also has to have a Velvet drive or a transmission. My other son said since I picked most everything on the 73 Mandella, mom should be able to decide how this one will be built.

Only time will tell what we'll finally end up with.

Attachments

• IMG_5080.jpg
    IMG_5080.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_5085.jpg
    IMG_5085.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_5087.jpg
    IMG_5087.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_5095 b.jpg
    IMG_5095 b.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_5074.jpg
    IMG_5074.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_5075.jpg
    IMG_5075.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_5076.jpg
    IMG_5076.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 244

KevinR

Reaction score
A big congratulations to you! I saw that boat two years ago at Billy B's event in Needles.

Looking forward to seeing you and your family bringing it back to life!

MOUZER

Reaction score
thats what im talking about right there...............sweeeeeeeeeeet..........:thumbsup:thumbsup

73mandella

Reaction score
My son and father-in-law stopped by Brummett's today. I never thought about it, but he has never been to the shop. Some good news, the boat was apparently rigged by Brummett. Since it's a '69, that means Lou did the rigging.

My son asked about getting a splash guard and Carson said he would make sure to get one. He is also going to look for Mandella badges. My son told him that mom wanted to have the boat painted Raw-Hide brown and Carson told him he would get him the color specs. They also talked about the foot-override since the '69 has stainless fuel tanks on the outboard side of the stringers and Carson made some suggestions. Since I wanted about 850 hp, Carson recommended modifying the bottom if we intended to build an engine with that much horse power.

My son was thoroughly impress with how much time Carson spent talking to him and how willing Carson was to share information.

Carson Brummett is one class act!

KevinR

Reaction score
My son and father-in-law stopped by Brummett's today. I never thought about it, but he has never been to the shop. Some good news, the boat was apparently rigged by Brummett. Since it's a '69, that means Lou did the rigging.

My son asked about getting a splash guard and Carson said he would make sure to get one. He is also going to look for Mandella badges. My son told him that mom wanted to have the boat painted Raw-Hide brown and Carson told him he would get him the color specs. They also talked about the foot-override since the '69 has stainless fuel tanks on the outboard side of the stringers and Carson made some suggestions. Since I wanted about 850 hp, Carson recommended modifying the bottom if we intended to build an engine with that much horse power.

My son was thoroughly impress with how much time Carson spent talking to him and how willing Carson was to share information.

Carson Brummett is one class act!

Yes he is. Came from phenomenal stock. I had the opportunity to meet him for the first time in 1972 when they were laying up an 18 foot flat bottom for my dad to do his own rigging. Carson was selling his 1970 BOSS 302 Mustang and when we saw it I bugged my dad to let me buy it as I was 16 and looking for my first car. What a great car that was. :thumbup::thumbup:

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Reading your OP I am left to wonder, does your wife have any sisters she has been wanting to marry off? :)

I have never gotten that type of support. :)

Brian

73mandella

Reaction score
Reading your OP I am left to wonder, does your wife have any sisters she has been wanting to marry off? :)

I have never gotten that type of support. :)

Brian

Thank you. In 1977, we had been married for 7 years. I had to work so my wife went to the LA boat show with her brother. When she came home, we owned a 1977 Caribbean ski boat. She paid $7000 for it and my son now owns the boat. We actually had to go out and buy a car because we only owned a Toyota and a VW bug.

Sorry, no sisters

73mandella

Reaction score
We're nowhere ready to work in this project yet because we have to finish my father-in-law's Eliminator Sprint first. He's had the boat for more than a year and we just started working on it. My guess is another 4 months or so before it's done. That, howerver, doesn't mean we can't make plans for Mandella.

My son and I have been talking about engines and want to go Ford. The main reason is because most everyone is telling us to go Chevy and my son has already built a naturally aspirated 691hp Ford for his jet. My son may also have convinced his mother that it is okay to go with a blower (she has been adamantly opposed to it thus far). He and his grandfather stopped by Hampton Blowers in Downey, California, and talked engine specs. They liked what they heard. He also contacted Kasse and got some build specs for a 521cubic inch Ford (460 block) that would produce about 850hp using a Hampton 8-71 blower with two Demon 750 carbs.

It's only time and money.

KevinR

Reaction score
We're nowhere ready to work in this project yet because we have to finish my father-in-law's Eliminator Sprint first. He's had the boat for more than a year and we just started working on it. My guess is another 4 months or so before it's done. That, howerver, doesn't mean we can't make plans for Mandella.

My son and I have been talking about engines and want to go Ford. The main reason is because most everyone is telling us to go Chevy and my son has already built a naturally aspirated 691hp Ford for his jet. My son may also have convinced his mother that it is okay to go with a blower (she has been adamantly opposed to it thus far). He and his grandfather stopped by Hampton Blowers in Downey, California, and talked engine specs. They liked what they heard. He also contacted Kasse and got some build specs for a 521cubic inch Ford (460 block) that would produce about 850hp using a Hampton 8-71 blower with two Demon 750 carbs.

It's only time and money.

Great options to have huh?
I'm a Ford guy in this situation. Go with the choice of those times. 427 Hi Ram with Dual Quads.
Either way we look forward to your great opportunity to bring this baby back to life.

73mandella

Reaction score
I gave my father-in-law the1969 marathon deck Mandella and its been at Eddies in Tucson for for awhile now. The plan is to do some plate work and change the prop shaft from 12 to 10 degrees to change the ride. Eddies will also paint the hull similar to Rawhide colors but not metal flake. We ordered and received a Robert Pond 427 side-oiler and bare heads. We've also put some money down on a Hampton 8-71 blower. My father-in-law is also planning to put a Velvet Drive in it (He said he will not own a boat without a reverse). Lou, at A-1 Canvas, is his son and will do the upholstery.

Progress is slow - maybe some time towards the end of nest year.

Attachments

• IMG_2967.JPG
    IMG_2967.JPG
    586.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2966.JPG
    IMG_2966.JPG
    932.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2959.JPG
    IMG_2959.JPG
    1,020.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2958.JPG
    IMG_2958.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2963.JPG
    IMG_2963.JPG
    520.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2962.JPG
    IMG_2962.JPG
    637.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2957.JPG
    IMG_2957.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2955.JPG
    IMG_2955.JPG
    725.3 KB · Views: 37

AzMandella

Reaction score
You sure he's going to change the v-drive from 10 to 12 . That wont change the ride . Changing the strut angle will do that . I have seen the boat at Eddies .

AzMandella

Reaction score
You sure he's going to change the v-drive from 10 to 12 . That wont change the ride . Changing the strut angle will do that . I have seen the boat at Eddies .
What made you go with Pond . I bought Bare Block Motors 427 FE Block and their heads For my 69 short Deck Eddie is doing . Heads are getting a CNC port job right now .

73mandella

Reaction score
Change from 12 to 10 degrees, that's what my father-in-law told me. I'll check with him again. We were at Eddies yesterday to drop off a velvet drive but he wasn't at the shop, he was out in a job. His father was there and it was great talking to him.

73mandella

Reaction score
What made you go with Pond . I bought Bare Block Motors 427 FE Block and their heads For my 69 short Deck Eddie is doing . Heads are getting a CNC port job right now .
My son was looking a Pond blocks when he was working on his jet but stuck with the original 460 (punched out over 500 cubic inches). He also spoke to Bare Block Motors and looked at Shelby but I can't really say why he selected Pond. I'm not an engine guy and wouldn't understand anyway if the told me. The block is at a friend's place (MPR), they're working on another project together at this time and will start on the 427 when done.

73mandella

Reaction score
As I said in another post, my father-in-law and I were at Eddies to drop off he Velvet drive but he wasn't there. It was a 987 mile round trip. We left Bellflower at 9:15am on Friday and got home at after 7pm on Saturday. His father showed us a Brummett they just pulled out of the mold while we were there and it looks fantastic. The deck was in another building, so we didn't get a chance to see it.

My father-in-law did get to speak to Eddie and was told his boat was being sanded to get it ready for the the paint. Eddie is also working on the V-Drive, it's a top loader. He said the gears were 17's and were in great shape. That's always good news. Other than that, my wife decided to buy her dad new Cragar mags for the trailer. It's great to finally see some movement on the project.

Attachments

• IMG_3006.JPG
    IMG_3006.JPG
    986.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_3007.JPG
    IMG_3007.JPG
    566.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3011.JPG
    IMG_3011.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:

River Dirt 2

Brummett 21
Reaction score
Awesome, first 21’ out of the molds in maybe 30 years! More progress pics if you get a chance.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I gave my father-in-law the1969 marathon deck Mandella and its been at Eddies in Tucson for for awhile now. The plan is to do some plate work and change the prop shaft from 12 to 10 degrees to change the ride. Eddies will also paint the hull similar to Rawhide colors but not metal flake. We ordered and received a Robert Pond 427 side-oiler and bare heads. We've also put some money down on a Hampton 8-71 blower. My father-in-law is also planning to put a Velvet Drive in it (He said he will not own a boat without a reverse). Lou, at A-1 Canvas, is his son and will do the upholstery.

Progress is slow - maybe some time towards the end of nest year.

Lou and I were talking the other day about some raw FE castings...

I'm guessing now, that he was referring to you?

73mandella

Reaction score
Lou and I were talking the other day about some raw FE castings...

I'm guessing now, that he was referring to you?

I'm just the guy who makes the posts. My son, Steve, is doing the research and engine work with help. He was talking to his uncle (Lou at A1) the other day about the Pond block.