WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

1970 spectra 20 vdrive

Bugginout

Reaction score
So am wondering if anyone has any information on this boat I am probably going to buy this week. It looks really clean. I searched every spectra board and can find nothing on it. Looking for some history.
Screenshot_20200912-102210_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200912-102312_Chrome.jpg

Bugginout

Reaction score
What area are you buying it from? I haven't seen that around at all.
I'm buying it out of Valencia ca. Guy says it was in storage after whoever built it died. Went and looked at it last week. Old school everything and beautiful in and out. Dyer's blower, cragar blower manifold, 427 tall deck with 990's supposedly stroked to 540. It's a great running time capsule.

Attachments

• 23426.jpeg
    23426.jpeg
    123.5 KB · Views: 149

Bugginout

Reaction score
Going for a test ride on Monday. Guess he bought it from a friend who found it after being stored for a lot of years. His buddy went through everything and brought it back to life. Then it just sat in his garage for a short time until this guy bought it. This guy took it to Teague for a wellness check and it got a clean bill of health.

Gripside80

Reaction score
I was staying at my house on the strip when covid hit. Was there for a 2 1/2 months. That boat was on the water every single weekend I was there. Looked good sounded great.

Bugginout

Reaction score
I was staying at my house on the strip when covid hit. Was there for a 2 1/2 months. That boat was on the water every single weekend I was there. Looked good sounded great.
Yeah the owner told me he was out every weekend. The boat is really nice. I'm pretty stoked about getting it.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
That would be one of the very first built in late '70, there should be a build tag near the throttle/helm area that has the manuf and date on it, no HIN as it was too early.

A Member here has said his grandfather had #5 that was built and it was #105 or something to that effect.

Bugginout

Reaction score
That would be one of the very first built in late '70, there should be a build tag near the throttle/helm area that has the manuf and date on it, no HIN as it was too early.

A Member here has said his grandfather had #5 that was built and it was #105 or something to that effect.
Thank you for the info

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
It will be built stout if its an early 70's boat, if its an early 70's build and everything old school I would question the 540 ci as that would have been a very expensive build back in the day, stroker motors were not as common as they are today and they were some serious coin to build them. If it is its probably a bad mother :)

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
It will be built stout if its an early 70's boat, if its an early 70's build and everything old school I would question the 540 ci as that would have been a very expensive build back in the day, stroker motors were not as common as they are today and they were some serious coin to build them. If it is its probably a bad mother :)

That 540 someone did that later in it's life, it would have left the factory with a 330 Merc in it, or as a hull....but I doubt they offered many hulls in the first year, much less first month or 2 of production...never know though!

I'm guessing a mid 90's build. That's now 25ish years ago lol.....old school still!

Are the side tanks aluminum Buggin?

Bugginout

Reaction score
That 540 someone did that later in it's life, it would have left the factory with a 330 Merc in it, or as a hull....but I doubt they offered many hulls in the first year, much less first month or 2 of production...never know though!

I'm guessing a mid 90's build. That's now 25ish years ago lol.....old school still!

Are the side tanks aluminum Buggin?
I don't know if they are aluminum. They are covered.

Bugginout

Reaction score
The 540 even in the 90's was a high dollar build 4.5 stroke cranks were not common at all. arias was running a 540 in the 80's I believe. It's a cool deal regardless.

Bugginout

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly

He was mentioning that the hull was made much thicker in the first 3 years, 1" vs 3/4" later on...they are tanks literally, the coast guard used them brutally.

You could not buy a better platform to run high HP through than a very early Spectra 20' V-Drive...IMO of course. I still think is was a total refresh in the late 80's to mid 90's... there were a few companies like Arias and Pfaff who were doing it then, but they were insanely priced...either way, you are looking at a sick piece of boating history...

BUY IT! ;) 😝

SPECTRABRENT

Reaction score
The hull number should be on the inside of the back of the hull.
Yes, 71-74 were heavier and IMO, better made hulls. I have had 3 early Spectras (2 20’s)& (1 18) all 3 had foam core decks and the center bulk head like the v-drives.
I currently have 2 1977 Spectra hulls 20 & XS 24 both drives. The Spectra 20 was a Catalina ski race boat, it was not rigged by Spectra (no SPECTRA name plates), its laid up very well, but it has the half round as the deck support, not the foam core is the deck. The XS came from Spectra as a factory Gale Banks Turbo boat, seems its laid up a bit heavier than a regular Spectra 24.
Brent

Bugginout

Reaction score
He was mentioning that the hull was made much thicker in the first 3 years, 1" vs 3/4" later on...they are tanks literally, the coast guard used them brutally.

You could not buy a better platform to run high HP through than a very early Spectra 20' V-Drive...IMO of course. I still think is was a total refresh in the late 80's to mid 90's... there were a few companies like Arias and Pfaff who were doing it then, but they were insanely priced...either way, you are looking at a sick piece of boating history...

BUY IT! ;) 😝
I plan on buying it. Pretty excited about it!

Bugginout

Reaction score
I didn't. My girls wanted something bigger and more family friendly. I will either buy a spectra or a schiada next year. I ended up with a 24 warlock euro with a huge open bow and a mid cabin. Tested it at elsinore for an hour before I bought it. Changing all the fluids as we speak. Leaving for the river with no kids in a couple hours.

SpectraPat

Reaction score
The original owner was a friend and lived in Santa Clarita Ca.
Mikes had a place/lot in needles, a few doors down from the needles over pass, the last time I road in this beast, I almost died!
Is the boat still for sale? I'd like to buy it
😮

idk

Reaction score
The gentleman that owns it now bought it from a friend of mine a year ago or more , he also lives in santa clarita if anyone wants to know anything I could find out for you.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
The original owner was a friend and lived in Santa Clarita Ca.
Mikes had a place/lot in needles, a few doors down from the needles over pass, the last time I road in this beast, I almost died!
Is the boat still for sale? I'd like to buy it

$27,500.

Contact Dallas 6614065521.

Located in Valencia, Ca.