WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

1972 21' Daycruiser - ISO

Reaction score
Brother and I are looking for this Schiada sold by our Dad in Torrance Calif in the late ‘90s:

1972 SCHIADA DAY CRUISER. Length 21' (without swimstep). We believe the buyer may have named it “FIGHTING POODLE" (on each side of the boat) and painted it blue & white (originally, it was white with metallic magenta/purple trim with wood swimstep as pictured below). When the boat was sold, it had a 454 Chevy, 2 bolt main, Cassell V - Drive, and a Borg- Warner trans. The buyer was from the San Diego, CA area.

Please reply if you have any info on it's whereabouts and/or owner. Dad, brother, and I (even mom!) thank you!

Better picture to come as soon as we convert 1970s slides to digital!

58766070_10219374377529585_6874304158946557952_n.jpg

[picture circa 1973]

Last edited:

Rjt01

Reaction score
Been asking around since u posted it on the Schiada fb page . No bites yet

Reaction score
Thanks, RT! We reached out to one lead, but it wasn't the one. I figure 1 down, 99 to go! :)

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
This might be deja by here but I swear I just saw a boat the fighting poodle not that long ago. The weird name is why I remember it. (Yes I’m familiar with old school 21 Schiada)

Now it’s ginna drive me nuts all night as to where I saw it.

Last edited:

lIQUIDATEDdAMAGES

Reaction score
The guy that bought the boat from your Dad is my Dad’s best friend. He and his wife owned the boat and kept it and used it out at their place in Meadview. We grew up skiing on it out at Mead. If I recall correctly it got repainted after it got run into by the trash truck when it was home for service one time. I believe the last color I saw was white with purple metal flake accents.

The boat was sold probably 10-12 years ago because it wasn’t getting used after they had a Howard cat built.

I think it may have gone to Northern CA or Oregon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I’m betting it was there. For some reason I have a picture of it in my head.. I did see the boat in the last couple months for sure though.
Do you recall what color it was? We heard it was painted blue, but other intel (msg after yours) thinks it might now be white with purple (which was also the orig color). Thank you so much RD!

Reaction score
The guy that bought the boat from your Dad is my Dad’s best friend. He and his wife owned the boat and kept it and used it out at their place in Meadview. We grew up skiing on it out at Mead. If I recall correctly it got repainted after it got run into by the trash truck when it was home for service one time. I believe the last color I saw was white with purple metal flake accents.

The boat was sold probably 10-12 years ago because it wasn’t getting used after they had a Howard cat built.

I think it may have gone to Northern CA or Oregon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Holy holy brother!! That sounds like it! Thank you LD! Was your Dads friend in the San Diego area? About 5 years after my dad sold it, the new owner asked imy dad if wanted to buy it back. If your dads friend sold it about 12 years ago, that would put your dads friend buying it around 17 years ago which is early 2000s (close enough to the late 90s sale date per our aging memories). My dad had bought a new, bigger Warlock by then, so he declined to buy back the Schiada. Still has the warlock btw.) Is there any way you can track down the contact info or any other relevant info from your dad’s friend? Or can you ask your dads friend to contact me/my brother? Did your Dads friend paint the boat and name it “Fighting Poodle” or was that done after your dad’s friend sold it?

ibelio

Reaction score
saw it at 1999/2000 v drive regatta at bluwewater wife was a lawyer wilkes might have old attendee list?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Holy holy brother!! That sounds like it! Thank you LD! Was your Dads friend in the San Diego area? About 5 years after my dad sold it, the new owner asked imy dad if wanted to buy it back. If your dads friend sold it about 12 years ago, that would put your dads friend buying it around 17 years ago which is early 2000s (close enough to the late 90s sale date per our aging memories). My dad had bought a new, bigger Warlock by then, so he declined to buy back the Schiada. Still has the warlock btw.) Is there any way you can track down the contact info or any other relevant info from your dad’s friend? Or can you ask your dads friend to contact me/my brother? Did your Dads friend paint the boat and name it “Fighting Poodle” or was that done after your dad’s friend sold it?

I’d call billy b and see if he can get the attendee list. I’m pretty sure that’s where I saw it.

Either that or on the dock if pirates den during their v drive show they had last year. I’m going to look through my pics and see if I can find it. For some reason I’m leaning towards billy event and I wouldn’t have got a pic of it.

Reaction score
I’d call billy b and see if he can get the attendee list. I’m pretty sure that’s where I saw it.

Either that or on the dock if pirates den during their v drive show they had last year. I’m going to look through my pics and see if I can find it. For some reason I’m leaning towards billy event and I wouldn’t have got a pic of it.
Thank you, again, for the input River Dave. Do I contact Billy B here? Billy B's Arrive n Drive BOAT & RV Storage (909) 982-8555

Reaction score
saw it at 1999/2000 v drive regatta at bluwewater wife was a lawyer wilkes might have old attendee list?
Thank you ibelio. I'm not exactly following when you saw the boat (in 1999/2000? - that's probably around the time my Dad sold it or a little after. And you remember those details that far back? Incredible!). I don't know who wilkes is -- is this someone I can contact? And how?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Thank you, again, for the input River Dave. Do I contact Billy B here? Billy B's Arrive n Drive BOAT & RV Storage (909) 982-8555

I texted him this am and he said he’d look into it when he gets a chance

Reaction score
Thank you for all your help, River Dave. This is an awesome group...so many folks with knowledge and spirit and heart.

DeltaSigBoater

This is... Legendary!
Reaction score

It was the Pirates Den V-Drive show last October.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...&set=pcb.2149643555252616&type=3&size=960,720

43750674_10215445981615255_8369687840132431872_n.jpg

43725869_10215445981535253_801863960302190592_n.jpg

43639650_10215445982095267_7939303993627377664_n.jpg

Every now and then I kick myself for not buying that Schiada CampbellCarl had :(

ibelio

Reaction score
that's not it that's my buddy's boat poodle was sister to it 2000 v drive regatta wilkes marine put it on at bluewater hot boat days ps cant remember what I did yesterday think it was white/green pink pinstripe good luck same style though

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Reaction score
Well, "Pay Dirt" is our gal's darn close twin sister. My Dad said it named fighting poodle on each side (and painted blue or blue/white, I think). Again, this was after he sold it. We thing that buyer sold it some years back. Sounds like the paint/name hasn't changed since then.

We'll have more pictures this weekend. But, again, they will be pics from when we had it.

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
Thank you ibelio. I'm not exactly following when you saw the boat (in 1999/2000? - that's probably around the time my Dad sold it or a little after. And you remember those details that far back? Incredible!). I don't know who wilkes is -- is this someone I can contact? And how?
Jim Wilkes owns and operates Wilkes Marine in Santa Ana just off Dyer Rd. He's a V-drive guru and has a wealth of knowledge and experience. There is a chance that "yore" old boat may have crossed his path at one point. I don't have his number near me right now but if you Google him....
PS he's a living legend, so if you stop by his shop when he is there, and he likes you, be prepared for a long day of bitchin old stories and neat tricks to get the job done.

Reaction score
Hey my friend has a boat just like that!
Can you ask your friend if he’s seen the boat “fighting poodle” or any other of your buddy’s sister boats? They were only about 100 of that hull. I’ll send you my and my brother’s contact info in a conversation. TY.

ibelio

Reaction score
perry had pay dirt for 30 plus years/ will be at regatta this weekend

micro525

Reaction score
Hi Micro, This boat is Pay Dirt? Is this boat white with black stripes and black trim around the top of the hull? Do you know if it was always white with black?

My brother and I saw the other pictures above that someone else posted and it looks remarkably like my Dad’s, but different color. So, we’re wondering...

Hi Jamie, yes that is paydirt. We will be at the roundup this weekend. Correct on the colors. I had a conversation with “the big pear” and yes he had seen the fighting poodle years ago at a meet up and spoke with the owners. As far as any other sister boats I’m not sure. Feel free to message me if you are going to be around this weekend, we can meet up.

Reaction score
Hi Jamie, yes that is paydirt. We will be at the roundup this weekend. Correct on the colors. I had a conversation with “the big pear” and yes he had seen the fighting poodle years ago at a meet up and spoke with the owners. As far as any other sister boats I’m not sure. Feel free to message me if you are going to be around this weekend, we can meet up.
Thank you micro525. I am in So Cal and my brother is in Nevada. He's looking to retire in Havasu but is still a few years away from that. For now, we only go out occasionally. We've made initial contact with the purchasers of my Dad's boat (thank you to liquidateddamages on this thread), but they sold the boat quite a few years ago. We have yet to reach out to them after our initial connection to see if they have more info on those they sold the boat to. So keep your eyes peeled! o_O

Reaction score
UPDATE: We have connected with the buyer of our Dad's old boat (thanks to liquidateddamages)! Still need to track it to the next owner, though. So, please still keep your eyes out for the pretty lady!

Reaction score
Here she was until about the late 80s when the boat was sold -- and repainted (blue?) with the name Fighting Poodle. We've located the family who purchased the boat from my dad and are hoping to locate the subsequent owner(s). (Hey it was the 70's :D)

Attachments

• 00290011.JPG
    00290011.JPG
    279 KB · Views: 112
  • 00290012.JPG
    00290012.JPG
    293.1 KB · Views: 115
  • 00290019.JPG
    00290019.JPG
    360.2 KB · Views: 110
  • 00290014.JPG
    00290014.JPG