WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

1974 21’ Eliminator

yeziam

Reaction score
Is there a downside to glassing in the rear floor rather than bolting it in like it was from the factory?

I have the same boat. My floor is currently out and I have new peices cut, but our of full sheets with the thought of glassing it all in for a more solid ride and less chance of rot. Like yours, the rear deck was bolted and consisted of 3 peices, with a strip in front of the engine. I know I need clearance in front of the engine, but I want to make sure I am not overlooking some other reason for the bolted in floor.

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
Is there a downside to glassing in the rear floor rather than bolting it in like it was from the factory?

I have the same boat. My floor is currently out and I have new peices cut, but our of full sheets with the thought of glassing it all in for a more solid ride and less chance of rot. Like yours, the rear deck was bolted and consisted of 3 peices, with a strip in front of the engine. I know I need clearance in front of the engine, but I want to make sure I am not overlooking some other reason for the bolted in floor.

I bolted the rear sides in for quick removal. The left side has cables under it and had an electric diverter box. Pretty sure that’s why the factory didn’t glass it in.

If I ever need to do anything to the engine I believe removing the side floors would help gain access.

I think if I were to do it again I would make the two sides and the front strip on piece but still bolt them in.

The boat it pretty stout as it is. Not sure how much it would help to if you were to glass the rear on as well.

yeziam

Reaction score
I bolted the rear sides in for quick removal. The left side has cables under it and had an electric diverter box. Pretty sure that’s why the factory didn’t glass it in.

If I ever need to do anything to the engine I believe removing the side floors would help gain access.

I think if I were to do it again I would make the two sides and the front strip on piece but still bolt them .

Thanks for the response.

My diverter motor is back by the blower and I have nothing under there, but I think I will bolt it or maybe tab it in just in case I need access in the future. I am putting a thru-hull transducer in and would need access then or if I ever need to change motor mounts.

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
Going to be updating thread. Because last May I was running up river in Needles and sucked up a bag. It caused the engine to overheat. So I yanked the engine out and sent it to Barry at Obnoxious Racing. We kept the long block with the same specs but went completely through it and sent everything out to be checked. I sent the heads off to Clay Smith to have them checked and massaged. I went full roller valve train and changed the intake as I wanted 600hp. It has been sitting in my garage on a stand since August. And now it’s time to do it all over again.

IMG_0999.jpg

This go around I will replace the gauges,lights, switches, wiring, steering wheel and steering cable.