WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

1977 21ft Spectra dash Modification

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new at Day cruisers.
I have owned and worked on Flat bottom v-drives and Competition Direct drive ski boats,
Now I'm looking into buying This 1977 21ft Spectra V-drive.
I have a Question about the dash on this boat.
it appears the dash on the Right side is cut out.
Does anybody know if Spectra made a dash that was cut out in 1977?
Just wondering if the seller did it or does Spectra do this from the Mold?
here is a photo.
Thank you

spectradash.jpg
spectradash1.jpg

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
I would guess that someone modified that themselves, I have never seen that on any Spectra before.

It's Spectra 20. They never made a 21. It is 20'10".

Looks like a decent project, what is in it?

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
That was done after it left the shop. it looks like this boat has the floor going all the way forward which would make it very tight to get under the dash that cut out would be nice. I doubt there is any structural issues with it. I cut a notch out of my Sanger for my left shin to operate my over ride pedal, much smaller but have had no cracking or issues since 95'

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
454 tunnel ram, fresh engine blueprinted balanced, 560 lift cam hydraulic cam, Champian V-drive ,Drirect drive
cav plate, swim platform, new floor, refurbished gel coat.
All it needs is the carpet and Rear seat and engine cover upholstery.
That dash cut out worries me, that it will compromise the structural integrity of the dash and deck

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
I have two project boats to pick from this 77 Spectra or a 72 Campbell 21ft that is tore apart and needs a engine.
The Campbell has all the parts to go back together, the kicker is it is only 3 grand,

campbell2.jpg
Cambell 21ft.jpg

Last edited:

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
This is a 4 stringer boat correct? the Spectra's and Howards were laid up pretty rugged and heavy. I looked at a lot day cruisers and have not seen any stress cracks up in the deck area, being that these top decks are all one mold there is a lot of glass there. The issue I saw on every one that I looked at was a drooping of the top deck. Right where the dash portion would meet the flat top deck there was 1/4 to 3/8 dip in everyone I looked at due to the weight of that dash section. I braced mine up and took out a 1/4" plus dip. Where the cut out is, there isn't any flex in my opinion, it's just flat glass no structure. I am no expert but I would not worry about it. if the price is right you could also glass that section back in.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
yea, I thought about mounting some T-8 alum flat bar on the inside of cut out, just to ease my mine.
I haven't bought it yet, I am trying to Choose which one to get, 77 spectra or the 72 Campbell.
the Spectra is 6 grand, Campbell is 3 grand, No engine .

SPECTRABRENT

Reaction score
ARe you sure that's a Spectra 20? I tried to zoom in, I don't see the non-skid, it could have been
Ground off. Need to see more pictures. Look at the VIN number, should start with SPE

From the pictures, I like the Campbell.

Brent

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
What is the non-Skid?
I kinda like the Campbell also. I wish the Campbell had the swim platform and Cav plate
here is the spectra photo
spectra.jpg
spectra2.jpg

SPECTRABRENT

Reaction score
You need to check the VIN #, I don't think that is a Spectra.
Again, Spectra VIN #'s started with SPE
Also, the fiberglass gas tanks look small compared to the Spectra 20's that I have owned
And again, no non skid along the top of the deck.

Brent

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
This boat is 5 hours south from me.
to get the vin number i have to ask the owner.
What does the non skid look like?
Does it look like the deck on the Campbell here?
Campbell deck.jpg

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
The boat looks to have several mods done to it, the deck cut out, there are windows on the front deck, and it looks like its capped. also check out the walls in the garage a couple transoms hanging there. a lot of boat work going on in this place.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies, This boats are a hole new ball game for me.
Lots to learn, more than the flatty Aqua-Craft V-drive I used to have and work on. my Flatty did not have a Non Skid. LOL
What is meant by the term "it looks like its capped"
The owner of the Spectra does deal with many Boats, and parts, I thought the same thing when I saw the background of the shop, and He told me he has been working on this boat for ten years, the freshened up engine has only 10hrs in 1 1/2 years. (Not good, Dry Bearings, Dry cam lobes)
The parts on that boat look so inviting to have.
The 20.5 ft Campbell is all original equipment, by someone who just has one boat and lives 35-40 miles from my home.
Again Thanks alot for all inputs. Paul

SPECTRALEN

Reaction score
I would bet it's not a Spectra. I have seen many boats for sale being called a Spectra that are not for different reasons. I'd like to see the front and bottom v of the front.

Groper

Reaction score
IMO there are just too many questions regarding the Spectra, I'd pass on that deal.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Capped means that you glass the top and bottom together, typical on flat bottoms. The issue comes when its not done correctly, its a lot of work and many folks don't realize how much grinding needs to be done before you start to glass and they just put a thin layer of glass that cracks and looks like crap.
Non Skid is the texture that runs around the outside of the top deck, Day cruisers used this because you tend to walk along the boat and this keeps you from slipping. I ground mine off as Spectra applied this after the boat was out of the mold and they tend to crack and look bad. Schiada boats has the non skid in their mold which is why it looks so much better as it part of the boat.
There are a lot of threads on Spectra's in the "Spectra Threads" you can compare the one you are looking at to these. I am not a big fan of the windows the gent put in, just not my style.

old rigger

Reaction score
The boat looks to have several mods done to it, the deck cut out, there are windows on the front deck, and it looks like its capped. also check out the walls in the garage a couple transoms hanging there. a lot of boat work going on in this place.

It looks to me like that deck plug/mold was tooled to have a dedicated spot for windows, you can see what looks like a little ridge around the them.

spectra2.jpg

old rigger

Reaction score
I just looked at the pictures again and just noticed that the dash, what's left of it, was recessed.
Pretty sure this is not a Spectra.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
thanks, I wonder what it is?
I'm going to check out a 1972 20.5 Campbell today.
It has a 455 that needs to be replaced, I'd like to put a 454 but, the 454 will need exhaust manifolds, motor mounts, bell housing, and who knows what else changed, Big bucks

old rigger

Reaction score
Is that Campbell up in the Delta area, Sacramento area? I almost drove up there maybe 2 years ago to go look at it when it was still running. Didn't ring a bell until you said it had a Olds.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
YES, the 72 Campbell is in Sacramento, Near the delta.
How much did they want for it then?
it's a small world.
Im out the door to check it out. Talk to ya later.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
The Campbell of coarse, it has been very enjoyable
I found out it was not a 77, it was a 71, i found a 1971s penney sealed into the Bulkhead.
I know this boat from the inside and out, restoring this Grandfather of day Cruisers, to it's original state.
The transmission it the only Item in Question, velvet drive, Tutbo 400, or a Slip and glide, powerglide
campfl18.jpg tank2.jpg bell2.jpg bell3.jpg MERRY CRISTMAS.jpg

Last edited: