WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

1983 Flood

shueman

Reaction score
Here's some shots of Needles during the '83 flood. My buddies place is just north of the 95 bridge on the AZ side...some very high water, for sure...:eek:

shueman

Reaction score
Parker pix...I believe from Boatcop...:thumbsup

shueman

Reaction score
Current view from the patio...it was under water during the flood...

Just Electric

freway offramp panhandler
Reaction score
shueman looks like you have yourself a nice front row view of all the good boat racing that goes on in front of your place

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Parker pix...I believe from Boatcop...:thumbsup

I was in in 9th grade during the flood of 83. My dad took us kids up not knowing the Army Corp had messed up on their snow pack prediction and the river was closed to boats. It was an unreal sight seeing all the gates open and dumping water. We use to stay at River Lodge during those days. The flood caused so much damage. River Lodge moved all their river front spots back after that. Thanks for the pics.

racerden

Boat #197
Reaction score
Current view from the patio...it was under water during the flood...
Thanks for the pix...I remember it well. My place is ajacent from Badenochs, we were the last to get the bad news the river had to be closed, but throughly understood why. The water was even with the top of our dock but never harmed the home.
DWP... All for the love of money eh?
________
JAILBROKEN

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Pics gone???

I think there was some sort of dispute over the use of the pics...just going off my poor memory. :D

I might be getting this confused with the whole Frank Holbert flood pictures.

westair

Reaction score
They were up for 2 yrs and I missed by less than 2 months:D

RiverRacer

Reaction score
I've got some of Parker Dam with the gates opened up from August of 83'.

I'll post em' up later today.

RR

randyjet

Reaction score
We were camping on an Island that first night and around 12:00 midnight the water started rising and within 15 minutes the whole island was underwater. We got back to the boat ramp and it was gone the water was over the bank and going into the parking lot we loaded the boats in the parking lot at like 2:00 am and barely made it across the bridge at Bullhead it was wild. We got a room at a sleazy motel all 20 of us and partied rest of the night. The managers called the sheriff the next day wanted more money had too many in one room it was too funny.

RiverRacer

Reaction score
I've got some of Parker Dam with the gates opened up from August of 83'.

I'll post em' up later today.

RR

Here's some pictures from August of 83(THE Flood).

We were staying at Red Rooster but had to leave because the current was too strong and fast to get the boat on the trailer with 3 little kids as 'helpers' so we wound up spending a wet week at Black Meadow Landing. It was OK, but definately NOT the lower River.

Pic 1 is of Parker dam on the Cali side from the road on the way to Black Meadows.

Pic 2 is from the fence line right next to the open gates on the AZ side.

Pic 3 is of a little Whirlpool that formed on the AZ side in the backwater due to the speed of the waterflow.

Pic 4 is of Black Meadows when we arrived for a week of soaking rain everyday. Place almost washed away!

Pic 5 is of one of my 'Helpers', Turtle(Perf Boat screen name) at 9 years old thinking he's running a 'HUNDY' in our 19' CP(yes, for those with sharp eyes, that is a stroked Medium Riser 427 FORD in there- 90-95 mph Bracket boat back in the day).

I don't think it's rained that much at the River since that time. Washed out lots of folks.

RR

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
AWESOME pics. Thank you. :bowdown:

I remember seeing the dam like that. I wish I woulda took pics of it.

Crazy days.

kevnmcd

Reaction score
Did the Glen Canyon Dam (Lake Powell) tour a few years ago and in the visitors center they have a picture from '83 with the spillway tubes and gates wide open trying to keep up with the inflow! Crazy pic!

YJJeepguy

Reaction score
I was a little kid when that flood happened. We had a place a the windmill, the beach got taken away and they never really fixed it after that.

rioracr

Reaction score
there are still markings on some lite poles at la paz camp ground of how high the water got, so the river was closed we went to havasu and crazy horse camp ground, the lake is no place for a flat in the afternoon coming back from copper canyon :eek:

RVRKID

Reaction score
I remember that flood I was 12 and we were staying at Branson's with my Grandpa and his friend and grand kids. We were down there to hunt and the houses on the river were all flooded. That was crazy..

Rivermemories

Reaction score
I remember that flood I was 12 and we were staying at Branson's with my Grandpa and his friend and grand kids. We were down there to hunt and the houses on the river were all flooded. That was crazy..

After viewing this thread i dug out some old photos from storage that were taken of the flood while living at Casas Del Rio next to Sports Valley. Many pics were taken from my balcony as well as a various resorts on the river that were devastated.
I can remember we had to enter the condo through the garage door since the front entrance passage was about a foot and a half or two underwater and having to wade through the muck getting to our front door once or twice when the garage door jammed.

The worst part of it all was that No boating was allowed on the river during this time, no river runs unless by car. When we went boating we drove up to Parker Dam and used the ramp on the Az side of the dam and boated/skied on the other side of the dam.
Man that year sucked :(.

OGCroz

Reaction score
Here's some pictures from August of 83(THE Flood).

We were staying at Red Rooster but had to leave because the current was too strong and fast to get the boat on the trailer with 3 little kids as 'helpers' so we wound up spending a wet week at Black Meadow Landing. It was OK, but definately NOT the lower River.

Pic 1 is of Parker dam on the Cali side from the road on the way to Black Meadows.

Pic 2 is from the fence line right next to the open gates on the AZ side.

Pic 3 is of a little Whirlpool that formed on the AZ side in the backwater due to the speed of the waterflow.

Pic 4 is of Black Meadows when we arrived for a week of soaking rain everyday. Place almost washed away!

Pic 5 is of one of my 'Helpers', Turtle(Perf Boat screen name) at 9 years old thinking he's running a 'HUNDY' in our 19' CP(yes, for those with sharp eyes, that is a stroked Medium Riser 427 FORD in there- 90-95 mph Bracket boat back in the day).

I don't think it's rained that much at the River since that time. Washed out lots of folks.

RR
Wow great pics! Sad too. Who has more? I only heard stories about this when I was bagging groceries at Alpha Beta.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Why were all of the pictures erased from this thread?

Well awhile back (maybe a year?) we combined a couple of sections in the photography threads to try to make them more organized.. Unfortunately something went weird with the transfer, and we lots all the attachments in the vast majority of the threads in this section.. :(

I have offered up free shirts, to all those that would repost the pics. I have considered wiping the section clean and starting over, but there's a lot of cool posts along with the missing pics so I'm at a quandry of not knowing what to do.

RD

78Southwind

Reaction score
Anyone have pictures of the Bullhead area? I went to the local newspaper and they really didn't have any pictures of BHC.

shueman

Reaction score
I have those flood pix in a backup archive "somewhere", and have been looking for them.
Will post them up when they find me...:D