WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

1984 Dico standup jetski trailer rehab

Fabhouse

Reaction score
A friend of mine found this on Craigslist about 6 years ago. He thought it would be great for my 2 1989 550 skis at the river place. I think he paid 150.00 for it, and put 2 new tires on to tow it out. I always planned on restoring it, but never got around to bringing it home until a few months ago. Its time to refresh the skis, and I love this matching trailer as a package. It is in working order, but 36 years old and never been touched. Lots of sanding to do, it will need some filler on the fenders from the rust. Fresh white paint, new lights and wiring, and a new tounge with a 2" ball, tired of keeping a 1 7/8 hitch around just for this trailer. I had already removed the bunks when I took photos. Wheels even have Dico stamping with 12/83 dates! Should be a quick fun resto.
IMG_1157.jpg
IMG_1158.jpg
IMG_1159.jpg
IMG_1160.jpg
IMG_1161.jpg
IMG_1162.jpg
IMG_1163.jpg
IMG_1164.jpg
IMG_1165.jpg
IMG_1166.jpg
IMG_1171.jpg
IMG_1173.jpg
IMG_1172.jpg

Mikes56

Reaction score
See how much having it sandblasted would cost. It would save a lot of time, and be way better for the new paint to adhere to. That looks like a fun project.

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
See how much having it sandblasted would cost. It would save a lot of time, and be way better for the new paint to adhere to. That looks like a fun project.

Agree on all fronts here, especially blasting it... sanding that will take forever. That being said, I think that little trailer is bitchin. I looked for a compact trailer forever before finally buying one on Northern Tool. The bunks lasted less than a season so I slapped together a new set and its been solid. I also put a 2'' coupler on it to avoid having to swap out hitches but to be fair the only time mine gets pulled is by my Rhino to/from the storage unit.

IMG_7625.jpg

Fabhouse

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies-and in hindsight, sand blasting would be much easier. My original plan was to drop it off at the powder coater and have them do it all, but, I do have a few days off for the holidays, and its just an old jet ski trailer either way. I got to sanding today, and wire brushing, and grinding, and everything in-between. Lots left to go, but got some of the main parts primed for sanding, mostly as motivation to flip it over and keep going on the bottom. Also replaced the hitch, and dismounted the tires to refurbish the wheels. The bolt welded under the tongue is to attach the chains. Might have a roller by New Years...
IMG_1174.jpg
IMG_1175.jpg
IMG_1176.jpg
IMG_1178.jpg
IMG_1179.jpg
IMG_1180.jpg
IMG_1181.jpg
IMG_1182.jpg
IMG_1183.jpg
IMG_1177.jpg

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
Looks like you are making quick work of this, keep us updated on the progress.

Fabhouse

Reaction score
IMG_1190.jpg
IMG_1191.jpg
I was able to fit the little 13" wheels in my blast cabinet, and the result was very good. Not bad for rattle can wheels!
IMG_1189.jpg

Boat211

Reaction score
Sweet!! I dig these little projects.

Fabhouse

Reaction score
Almost there- got the hubs rebuilt with new bearings and buddies, wired with new lights, and new lock pins for the skis. I'll have tires mounted Monday, and i'll try to get bunk carpet tomorrow to cover the new boards. Also need to get SS hardware to attach the bunks.
IMG_1224.jpg
IMG_1223.jpg
IMG_1222.jpg
IMG_1221.jpg
IMG_1220.jpg
IMG_1219.jpg

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
Coming along great. Digging your garage flooring by the way, looks super clean. Tile?

Fabhouse

Reaction score
Coming along great. Digging your garage flooring by the way, looks super clean. Tile?
Thanks!
The floor is an LVT plank. I think this one is a Shaw Contract product, I need to look up the specs, as someone else also asked what it was. I'll do that tomorrow. I used this one because it was left over from one of my projects (flooring contractor), and its a commercial grade product.
IMG_1225.jpg
IMG_1227.jpg

Fabhouse

Reaction score
Finished the bunks and got the tires back on today. Took the skis down from the pallet racking so I could bring them home and start on the next part of this project.
IMG_1228.jpg
IMG_1229.jpg
IMG_1230.jpg

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
Thanks!
The floor is an LVT plank. I think this one is a Shaw Contract product, I need to look up the specs, as someone else also asked what it was. I'll do that tomorrow. I used this one because it was left over from one of my projects (flooring contractor), and its a commercial grade product. View attachment 956127 View attachment 956128

Thanks, would like to know. I'm trying to figure out what to do in my garage and the more I think about the more I don't want to go with an epoxy coating.

Skis are looking good on the trailer, well done.

Fabhouse

Reaction score
@King295 @Boat211 My rep finally got back to me regarding the flooring material, that particular product was discontinued. There are some similar options available, in both wood and stone/concrete look. Price on the mid to high quality material starts around 2.50/ft, up to 5.00. Installation is easy, most folks around here can DIY. VCT (supermarket tile) is another great option, and at .85/ft its the cheapest. Requires maintenance (waxing) though.
The reason I prefer a tile or plank over epoxy is repairs. The adhesive is releasable, and changing a damaged tile is just a heat gun and a few minutes.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
@King295 @Boat211 My rep finally got back to me regarding the flooring material, that particular product was discontinued. There are some similar options available, in both wood and stone/concrete look. Price on the mid to high quality material starts around 2.50/ft, up to 5.00. Installation is easy, most folks around here can DIY. VCT (supermarket tile) is another great option, and at .85/ft its the cheapest. Requires maintenance (waxing) though.
The reason I prefer a tile or plank over epoxy is repairs. The adhesive is releasable, and changing a damaged tile is just a heat gun and a few minutes.
Just replaced some planks myself and super easy. For me the boys splash way too much water out of the bath and I never caulked the seam to the tub. Fixed that. The boys scraped some planks in the dining room with their scooters or something. Super quick to fix that. I’d love it in the garage compared to the epoxy that got burned by battery acid and looks awful now. Trailer looks awesome. Nicely done