WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

1986 Hallett Vector: Anybody recognize this boat?

LastHurrah

Reaction score
I purchased this boat in June from Maxed Out Marine. I am trying to find out the history of the boat. 1986 Hallett Vector, layed-up as a ski race boat, BBC, Kuhl blower, bravo outdrive; I think it might have been rigged by Rode's Way Boats? Eddie Marine exhaust, Eddie Marine trim tabs, IMCO steering. Thanks guys for any help you can give me.

Attachments

• IMG_0296 (1).JPG
    IMG_0296 (1).JPG
    174 KB · Views: 876
  • IMG_0297 (1).JPG
    IMG_0297 (1).JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 471
  • IMG_0302.JPG
    IMG_0302.JPG
    182.4 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_0303.JPG
    IMG_0303.JPG
    170 KB · Views: 444
  • IMG_0298 (1).JPG
    IMG_0298 (1).JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 559
  • IMG_0295 (1).JPG
    IMG_0295 (1).JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 439
  • IMG_0291.jpeg
    IMG_0291.jpeg
    148.4 KB · Views: 413
  • IMG_0300.JPG
    IMG_0300.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 393

skifaster

Hard Member
Reaction score
Really blurry picture, but I am almost positive your boat was likely one of Ron Tesarski's (Custom Canvas in Montclair) #600 boats. It is the top left in this picture which is hard to see. I know one of his was overseas in Great Britain for awhile as I had seen a picture of it still with the Twin Turbo motor and #3 drive. The red bottom is the part that makes it very unique as very few had that. And these colors are the exact same as his previous 21' Schiada that he raced.

Attachments

• Vector.jpg
    Vector.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 204

LastHurrah

Reaction score
Really blurry picture, but I am almost positive your boat was likely one of Ron Tesarski's (Custom Canvas in Montclair) #600 boats. It is the top left in this picture which is hard to see. I know one of his was overseas in Great Britain for awhile as I had seen a picture of it still with the Twin Turbo motor and #3 drive. The red bottom is the part that makes it very unique as very few had that. And these colors are the exact same as his previous 21' Schiada that he raced.
Thank you for your reply; I will check it out.

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
I was thinking the same as skifaster, looks like one of Ron's "Even Quicker" ski race boats. Somewhere I have an old photo of Ron's vector, started looking for it yesterday but no luck so far.

LastHurrah

Reaction score
Thanks, that would be awesome if you could find a picture. I've been trying to find one on the net but no luck yet. Thank you for your reply.

Blownbillybob

Reaction score
Thanks, that would be awesome if you could find a picture. I've been trying to find one on the net but no luck yet. Thank you for your reply.
Call Ron and talk to him !!! I’ve called him out of the blue and he was very nice over the phone !!!!

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
I've looked everywhere and can't find the photo. Headscratcher. @obnoxious001 do you happen to have any old photo's of Ron Tesarski's Vector from the 80's?

skifaster

Hard Member
Reaction score
Finally found some pictures from back in the day... The 2nd picture of it getting launched is at the Water Ski Racing World Championships in Australia.

Attachments

• Even Quicker.jpeg
    Even Quicker.jpeg
    99.7 KB · Views: 180
  • Even Quicker 2.jpeg
    Even Quicker 2.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 181
  • Even Quicker 3.jpeg
    Even Quicker 3.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 182

LastHurrah

Reaction score
Thanks guys for your input and the pictures. I will definitely call Ron but not yet. I am learning there are some odd things about this boat. It has a bravo drive and it doesn't appear that it ever had a #3 drive; I think the 3 drive has a bigger gimbal housing than the bravo so there should have been some fiberglass work on the transom to fit the smaller bravo? The bravo wasn't available until 1988 so the boat wasn't rigged until 1988 or later? When the boat was first taken out it started porposing uncontrollably over 65mph so I think it had a different lower unit than the one on it when I purchased it. The boat is in the shop now getting a XR sport master lower unit. Unrelated but equally disappointing we also found there was water in the oil; we have pretty much determined it must be a leaking intake manifold gasket so that is being taken care of as well. There are indications the boat was rigged by Rode's Way Boats; they appear to be out of business so no help there. Bottom line is I don't think this was one of Ron's boats and it has had some poor treatment somewhere along the line. Should be back out on the water in a couple of weeks. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated..

hallett21

Reaction score
Surprised to hear you had an uncontrollable porpoise over 65 with those tabs. Changing trim didn’t help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LastHurrah

Reaction score
Had to put so much trim in it totally slowed the boat down. I have spent time in Vectors and know how they ride and this wasn't it. I think the 2" shorter lower unit will make a big difference.

hallett21

Reaction score
Had to put so much trim in it totally slowed the boat down. I have spent time in Vectors and know how they ride and this wasn't it. I think the 2" shorter lower unit will make a big difference.

Sorry didn’t mean to imply it was driver error. Was getting ready to ask if the hull had hook in it.

I’m running our outboard 1.5” below the keel and we carry the nose very well.

LastHurrah

Reaction score
Not that we can tell. But that is the curious thing; this is a 1986 hull and over time someone or all of the someones who have owned it have spent a lot of money on it. All of the engine parts and hardware are top of the line and the boat, interior and trailer are all in very good condition. So it would seem that the hull must have performed well; especially carrying 800+ horsepower in the engine compartment. So did it all of a sudden grow a hook? I am hoping the answer to the problem is that it was never intended to have a stock bravo lower unit. My builder and I surmise that a previous owner blew up the lower unit it had and just thru a junk stock lower unit on it to sell it??? This kinda goes along with why is there water in the oil? Lastly, ever hear of Hallett selling a Vector that had a hook in it? Comments please!

hallett3

Reaction score
First it’s a beautiful vector you have. I would try to find an experience guy who knows how to check for a hook. Eliminate that issue first. I have a vector and I had a buddy who rigged a k-boat and a v-drive vector. He checked it for me before I pored lot of money into my stock vector. Lucky my didn’t have one. I would definitely check this first before throwing a some more coin into it. My boat has way less HP than yours. It has a mercury racing 525 XR Drive. So probably less stress on changing the hull characteristics. There is so many ways boats will change characteristics when putting big motors in a smaller boats. Blower motors will add more weight to the rear of the boat because of needed extra equipment, engine and drive height, lower unit height, props and location of trim tabs. It’s never ending. I’m in no way experience boat builder but have asked a lot of questions when I was building mine. All mentioned above was answered by boat builders and people who raced vectors. I’ve looked at a lot of racing vectors with outdrives and see a lot of differences. Seen some outdrives mounted higher than others with big horsepower. So maybe changing the lower unit will help and will solve all your issues. 👍

Last edited:

LastHurrah

Reaction score
I too am now working with a guy who has driven a lot of vectors race and pleasure. He has also built drives for Imco, poker run boats, and Catalina ski race boats. I expect to learn a lot more about the boat this coming week. Thank you for your input; I agree you did yours the right way. And thanks for the compliment!

Hammer

Reaction score
Get a 3’ straight edge, crawl under the trailer if you can and look for high spots or bows in the bottom. Check everything 6”-1’ or 2 left to right. I have been around a lot of high horsepower vectors and stock ones. The lower unit shouldn’t make that much of difference in handling characteristics IMO.

Curious to see what is causing it.

Last edited:

LastHurrah

Reaction score
Thank you guys for the input. My boat is currently at the guys shop; I will make sure the bottom gets thoroughly inspected this week.

37 boat

Reaction score
Nice Vector, I agree with everyone else it sure looks like one of Tesarski's boats. I probably have some pictures of it stuck in a box somewhere. I'm curious as to where the tabs are mounted and how effective they are in that location (so far inboard). I know there is different opinions on mounting parallel to the bottom or horizontal but I don't think I have seen them mounted like this before. BTW Joe Rode Jr. is at Eddie Marine now...he may have more info for you if you think they might have rigged it.

LastHurrah

Reaction score
You guys were right; this was Ron Tesarski's first Vector. Twin turbo with TRS drive. He sold it to Joe Rode in 1989 less engine and drive. More to come.