WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

old rigger

Reaction score
I thought you guys back then sprayed in tank tops and jean cut off shorts w/o any sort of breather....

Back in the ‘70s we had a gel coater that worked barefooted, lol. He wore a ski mask with no respirator of any kind and would wash his hair with this kick ass soap he kept by the sink. He never was able to get the metal flake off his toes. He was a Samoan but a little guy, I’ll be damned if I can remember his name. He was deaf too which made for some interesting conversations when it came to different tape layouts.
His name was Mel, just came to me.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
He sure got fast towards the end of the boat, must’ve been close to beer thirty.😂

retaocleg

Reaction score
@Gelcoater
that's chris moriarity.........good friend of mine, and i emailed a link to him so he'll prolly chime in soon........loving the beard tho

what's up Chrisnuttz........lol

cofooter

Reaction score
How do you get the right thickness all over the boat?

old rigger

Reaction score
How do you get the right thickness all over the boat?
It’s not the same. Some areas are much thicker than others, especially in a boat with 8 or so pin lines. As you pull the tape to exspose the next line, you spray it and of course that gel ends up on top of other already sprayed lines.
What you don’t want is too thin.
Gelcoaters have crazy skills, especially today. They also have the luxury of not spraying 6-7 boats a day. On the other had we weren’t doing 38 foot cats.
Don’t know how it is today but back in the day the characters in the shops were generally the guys squirting the molds.

Lots of blow back then. Squirt a color, do a line. Pull tape, repeat. lol

fucking mirrors stashed everywhere with lines all laid out.

Last edited: