WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

1988 Original 21 Eliminator Daytona

JLG614

Reaction score
Time for a project! After years of convincing we finally got my grandpa to let us redo his daytona for him. He built in new from eliminator in 1988. This boat has been his baby since day one and even though its 33 years old you would never know. He has done his best keeping it in great condition but everything gets old with time. It boated for a few years in needles before he took it up to Idaho where it has been for over 25 years. My family learned to ski on this boat and our kids are going to be learning to ski in the next few years and this will be one of the boats they will be on. This project means alot to us and my grandpa is really excited for his baby to be brought back to life like the day it rolled out of the factory. Here's a run down of what we are doing.

New Interior- We are keeping the exact same layout, color combo, and stitch and roll stitching. Still trying to decide who to use, Eliminator is always an option, Arko in havasu possibly. Both are booked out till January but we don't mind waiting till then. Are there any other shops you would recommend?

Color sand and buff- The gel is in great shape but while we have it we might as well get it done for him

New rub rail- The rub rail is definitely showing age. We are trying to decide what to do with it, put it back the same or add a stainless rub rail?

New Gauges, wiring, stereo and electrical. Most of the gauges don't work and the stereo hasn't worked since i was a kid. WOT Marine in Oceanside is a friend of mine and he will be tackling all of that for us

Trailer- Trailer is definitely showing its age the most. Repaint, rewire, new LED Lights, I want to do some new wheels but keep it classic with some low profile chrome or polished wheels like Boyd Coddington or something along those lines. not sure who is going to do this work either, possibly adrenaline in Havasu

I'll post more as we get going with things but this should be a fun project to watch. If you have any recommendations that we should do while its here let me know! Also any shop recommendation is welcome!

IMG_4635.jpg

IMG_4634.jpg

IMG_4658.jpg

Last edited:

stingray11

Reaction score
Time for a project! After years of convincing we finally got my grandpa to let us redo his daytona for him. He built in new from eliminator in 1988. This boat has been his baby since day one and even though its 33 years old you would never know. He has done his best keeping it in great condition but everything gets old with time. It boated for a few years in needles before he took it up to Idaho where it has been for over 25 years. My family learned to ski on this boat and our kids are going to be learning to ski in the next few years and this will be one of the boats they will be on. This project means alot to us and my grandpa is really excited for his baby to be brought back to life like the day it rolled out of the factory. Here's a run down of what we are doing.

New Interior- We are keeping the exact same layout, color combo, and stitch and roll stitching. Still trying to decide who to use, Eliminator is always an option, Arko in havasu possibly. Both are booked out till January but we don't mind waiting till then. Are there any other shops you would recommend?

Color sand and buff- The gel is in great shape but while we have it we might as well get it done for him

New rub rail- The rub rail is definitely showing age. We are trying to decide what to do with it, put it back the same or add a stainless rub rail?

New Gauges, wiring, stereo and electrical. Most of the gauges don't work and the stereo hasn't worked since i was a kid. WOT Marine in Oceanside is a friend of mine and he will be tackling all of that for us

Trailer- Trailer is definitely showing its age the most. Repaint, rewire, new LED Lights, I want to do some new wheels but keep it classic with some low profile chrome or polished wheels like Boyd Coddington or something along those lines. not sure who is going to do this work either, possibly adrenaline in Havasu

I'll post more as we get going with things but this should be a fun project to watch. If you have any recommendations that we should do while its here let me know! Also any shop recommendation is welcome!

View attachment 1040457
View attachment 1040458
View attachment 1040459
Damn that's nice with a big old Johnson 2 stroke outboard on it. I like it, Definitely worth doing

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
Well this is awesome!

After all of the work I put into mine (the StressEliminator), I ended up using stainless rubrail because the anodized aluminum is so hard to find. I really wanted to keep the anodized blue on mine to be period-correct, but actually, I’m glad I did the stainless because it’s much tougher against the dock if it happens to touch.

Good luck with your project, and keep giving us updates. Cool legacy for your family!

JLG614

Reaction score
I will be out in Havasu on Labor day and get a bunch of pictures of the boat as it sits and post them up

JLG614

Reaction score
Damn that's nice with a big old Johnson 2 stroke outboard on it. I like it, Definitely worth doing

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
We blew up the motor last summer. We had it repaired but it was a hell of a time to get the parts for that old of a motor. Definitely happy we got it fixed though, keeps the boat period correct

02HoWaRd26

Reaction score
Thank you for linking those! exactly the look we are going for!
A build like this I’m always playing on the internet at hotel for work send me a list I’m sure i can find a few things. But a set of old Centerline Hellcats is what i was searching for, no idea why i saw those in my head with this build be regardless some nice polished old Eagles fit as well.

Duramax

Reaction score
Love that you are doing this Daytona for grandpa! Mine is a 94', and the only thing wrong was the interior side panels, rear seats, and my driver seat. They were all rotted. I also wanted to keep it with the original 90's theme, and it also helped that any quote I received for new interior was close to 10K!! I ended up building the new interior pieces myself (Baltic Birch and Systems epoxy) and carefully reused the covering. Turned out great, along with 50% new wiring. Good luck and keep that old 2 stroke around.