WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

1993 Bounder ??

Constant840

Reaction score
Selling the river boat with the idea of getting into motorhome.
Had an unexpected trade offer for a 1993 bounder with a 460.

Anyone have experience with Bounders of this vintage? Am I asking for trouble trading a super clean and dialed in 39 year old jet bote for an unknown 25 year old motorhome?

RCDave

Reaction score
I would shy from this. Unless this is the coach you have in mind AND you have it inspected stem to stern and know what it might need.

fmo24

Reaction score
My biggest concern would be the systems. Nothing ages well in rv’s. Plumbing, fittings and such.
But for a starter to really figure out if you wish to continue it might be worth it.

Constant840

Reaction score
This would be our first motorhome. My thought was a newer 22-24’ on a sprinter chassis.
This came up as an even trade and I’m torn on it. Haven’t seen or inspected it in person. Not sure if I even want to get that far.

RCDave

Reaction score
Rv's can be like a boat but worse, when it comes to repair expenses

Slats

Reaction score
If you want out of your boat. You should just sell it. A old rv can be a nightmare. Fridge going out,ac going out. Faulty repaired wires. Water leak from old roof would be a costly repair. Soft floors from water leaks. The list goes on. Unless it looks SUPER NICE. It might cost a bit more. But think about a newer model rv. How about a trailer? I think you get more living space and less drive train maintenance. Inshurance is also cheaper. Do you have a truck or ? To tow with. Just my thoughts. I have had motorhomes and trailers. I currently have a 45 foot fifth wheel. Lots of space and still have a car to drive when we park someplace. Good luck with your decision.

Constant840

Reaction score
If you want out of your boat. You should just sell it. A old rv can be a nightmare. Fridge going out,ac going out. Faulty repaired wires. Water leak from old roof would be a costly repair. Soft floors from water leaks. The list goes on. Unless it looks SUPER NICE. It might cost a bit more. But think about a newer model rv. How about a trailer? I think you get more living space and less drive train maintenance. Inshurance is also cheaper. Do you have a truck or ? To tow with. Just my thoughts. I have had motorhomes and trailers. I currently have a 45 foot fifth wheel. Lots of space and still have a car to drive when we park someplace. Good luck with your decision.

Love the boat. Will regret selling it. Already regretting putting it up. Problem is it only gets run 1-2 times a season then just takes up garage space.
I’m leaning towards a motorhome vs trailer because I’d still like to be able to tow.
I’ve not shopped or even looked at a motorhome, so I couldn’t say if it’s super nice or even what would be super nice. For the age and 50k miles.

Slats

Reaction score
Where do you live? I know camping world sells used stuff. Just be careful. They are notorious for crappy repairs and customer service. You can go to any rv lot and look at what they have. Just don't let them talk you into something you don't want. Have you put your boat up for sale? Try to get something with a warranty. Even if it's a short one. At least you can get a little time in it to make sure everything works.

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
Bounders were the bayliners of motorhomes.
The 460 is so outdated and the chassis has the small 16" wheels.
You didn't mention miles, generator, or length.
They put tag axles on the longer ones since the chassis was overloaded.
If the fridge is bad that's an EZ $1000
Tires most likely and another $2000
If it's your first rv i would look at something newer instead of jumping into this mess

Last edited:

BDMar

B & D Marine
Reaction score
I owned a 1994 34 Bounder with the Chevy 454 for many years. Low mileage around 40,000 when I sold it. It was in perfect condition except for the typical faded exterior. It took months to sell and finally sold it for $9000. The one they want to trade you for is probably a $5000 coach.
Sell what you have and look for what you want. Trades are rarely a good idea

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Selling the river boat with the idea of getting into motorhome.
Had an unexpected trade offer for a 1993 bounder with a 460.

Anyone have experience with Bounders of this vintage? Am I asking for trouble trading a super clean and dialed in 39 year old jet bote for an unknown 25 year old motorhome?
if it was a chevy.. the fords are notorious for breaking manifold bolt, then they crack the head where the bolt goes.. and they melt the smog tubes... we won't even work on one, or any 460 ford motors because soon as you touch them they break... the problem was so bad it depleted the head supply...if you do the deal,.. make darn sure there is no exhaust leaks where the manifolds bolt to the head...and like said...5k rv

Runs2rch

Reaction score
if it was a chevy.. the fords are notorious for breaking manifold bolt, then they crack the head where the bolt goes.. and they melt the smog tubes... we won't even work on one, or any 460 ford motors because soon as you touch them they break... the problem was so bad it depleted the head supply...if you do the deal,.. make darn sure there is no exhaust leaks where the manifolds bolt to the head...and like said...5k rv
The 454's will do the same Steve. Worked on a few with manifolds cracked in a few spots. Like you said though. 460 Moho's are way worse.

NOTSOFAST

Reaction score
You are getting some great advice here from the inmates, stay away from that. If you are interested in trying the RV lifestyle, rent one first.

Constant840

Reaction score
So that settles that. I’m going to pass on it.
Thanks for the responses everyone.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Down hill with a tailwind.....maybe
Was gonna say....you're lucky to get 10mph with a 460 powered early 90's F350!
Im gonna go with 7mpg. My V10 26' class C E450 chassis Moho got 7.5 without towing.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
So that settles that. I’m going to pass on it.
Thanks for the responses everyone.
Look for a 1999 or newer Class C with V10 power, preferably on the 450 chassis. Can't go wrong with one of those for a first motorhome. Tires are much cheaper, easy to re-sell when your ready to move up - especially if the unit is a smaller Class C with a slide.

Reaction score
Look over the tires, and check all the date codes. Those tires are expensive, and you'll be driving it a lot for the first 2-3 years. You might want to adjust the trade accordingly.