WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

1997 240 hallett

tkrrox

Reaction score
240 openbow
572 NA brummett motor roughly 625hp
bravo one 24 5blade cutting edge
top speed??? it will run 72mph with 100 gallons of gas, 2 tubes, wakeboards, cooler, skis, 4 people, 2 anchors and the kitchen sink
cruises at 50-55 happily

pros
the thing is huge and roomy. love the rotating passenger seat. i fit everything from my cole skiier in the open bow area. feels stable as can be, high freeboard
cons
it is a big pig. i would bet if my motor was in a 25 bullett i would be running in the 80s
i am not sold on the floor. the wood looks bitchen, but too hot to not have carpet snapped down...the carpet keeps coming loose and flaps...i will have to have a new one made, but i am considering loosing the wood and just carpeting whole bottom.
the one thing is it is too big to sit and too small to stand...it's right on the border. i feel like i want to stand to get a better view over the bow but the controls are too low so i usually find myself with one knee on the seat breaking onto plane and while in the rough.

overall
i don't think there is another boat that will hold as much and as roomy other than a pontoon. it feels more roomy than my brothers 270 hallett
it is a great cruiser for the whole family and friends and the kitchen sink. it is very predictable, holds turns well, and comfortable.
so far i am very happy with it. if i wanted a go fast i think i would look at a lavey or a howard, but they are nowhere as roomy. a solid tank that won't win many races

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Wanna race? [emoji15][emoji4][emoji4]

Eggbeatn ur Ass

Reaction score
My inlaws just got a 240 hallet a couple months ago. It has a stock 502 carb motor and gps'd 65 with 2 people with half tank. Which I thought was pretty good for that heavy of a boat. What does yours run with a light load?

tkrrox

Reaction score
My inlaws just got a 240 hallet a couple months ago. It has a stock 502 carb motor and gps'd 65 with 2 people with half tank. Which I thought was pretty good for that heavy of a boat. What does yours run with a light load?
i have no idea...i thought it should run a little faster but i haven't played with props really and haven't had seat time really without the family in it. it had a 24 bravo one on it before and ran a little faster but it blew out too much when i was turning while pulling tube.. (it was modded by some one before me so i would like to get my hands on a true 24 bravo one)

i am sending this prop to cutting edge to get it tuned a little better also.

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
i have no idea...i thought it should run a little faster but i haven't played with props really and haven't had seat time really without the family in it. it had a 24 bravo one on it before and ran a little faster but it blew out too much when i was turning while pulling tube.. (it was modded by some one before me so i would like to get my hands on a true 24 bravo one)

i am sending this prop to cutting edge to get it tuned a little better also.
2Forcefull spent a lot of time messing with props on his 240 and had very good results in the end....you might want to PM him for some more detailed info.:thumbup:

tkrrox

Reaction score
2Forcefull pent a lot of time messing with props on his 240 and had very good results in the end....you might want to PM him for some more detailed info.:thumbup:

I will give him a call. The one I have is a great all around. Pull skiers tubes and still cruise at a decent clip but it would be nice to find a good one for speed

Eggbeater what are your in laws spinning. Rpm and wheel?

tkrrox

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423778807.277344.jpg
Just installed

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
the problem here...( I think..not an expert but have had a few 240's) is you are running the boat too wet...
the other problem is the bravo prop... when you trim it up the boat gets violent:yikes:boobeyes::boobeyes:

you need , again I think,... a prop with out the defuser ring...

solas make them... pretty good props...

I would bet the boat would run closer to 80.. mine ran upper 70's with a 525

tkrrox

Reaction score
the problem here...( I think..not an expert but have had a few 240's) is you are running the boat too wet...
the other problem is the bravo prop... when you trim it up the boat gets violent:yikes:boobeyes::boobeyes:

you need , again I think,... a prop with out the defuser ring...

solas make them... pretty good props...

I would bet the boat would run closer to 80.. mine ran upper 70's with a 525

What size Solas were you running and were you on GPS?

Eggbeatn ur Ass

Reaction score
I will give him a call. The one I have is a great all around. Pull skiers tubes and still cruise at a decent clip but it would be nice to find a good one for speed

Eggbeater what are your in laws spinning. Rpm and wheel?

I got my father inlaw a set of EMI exhaust manifolds and it made a noticeable gain. Spinning the same 24p bravo it went from 65mph@5100rpms w/ stock manifolds to 69mph@5400rpms with the EMI's. I was impressed

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I don't think Steve uses a gps.. I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.. But all the vids I have seen he is always using the water pickup speedo as the measurement.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I don't think Steve uses a gps.. I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.. But all the vids I have seen he is always using the water pickup speedo as the measurement.

"just call paul " gps'd it....I have a hand held that I use to see how far off the speedo is... then just keep going with the speedo

this shows 79 on the speedo with the bimini top up.... hard to believe but it did go faster with it down....

[video=youtube;VAv8-_eF6FU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAv8-_eF6FU[/video]

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score

sorry, I missed this post.....

I was running a 26 p ... my speedo was about 5 mph off... I checked it with a hand held...

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
sorry, I missed this post.....

I was running a 26 p ... my speedo was about 5 mph off... I checked it with a hand held...

The Speedo was off by 5mph at WOT? Or it was off at like 30 mph, and then you ran it up to WOT with a 5 mph factor?

RD

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
The Speedo was off by 5mph at WOT? Or it was off at like 30 mph, and then you ran it up to WOT with a 5 mph factor?

RD

at 79 it was gps 74... the speedo only goes to 80... I did gps it at 79 light load and low fuel

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score

RD

at 32 on the speedo it was 31.3 or 4.. so I figured run 33 to ski 32'''' close enough ..?????

tell moses to chisel the stone tabs....:rolleyes

Trash

Reaction score
You can't just take a GPS to speedo comparison at one data point and then apply the correction through out the entire speed range. The speedo's typically don't have a linear error. Use a solid hand held GPS for ALL the steady state speed measurements. Put tape over the speedo.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
You can't just take a GPS to speedo comparison at one data point and then apply the correction through out the entire speed range. The speedo's typically don't have a linear error. Use a solid hand held GPS for ALL the steady state speed measurements. Put tape over the speedo.

I showed what it was off at wide open...our state doesn't have a speed measurement... its a run what cha brung free for all...go to parker on sat. if you want proof...

I know how to get there with out GPS:p:D

.boatpoor

Reaction score
change the prop, lift the 572 up and slide a efi twin turbo in there and shoot the hell up. Geess

boatnam2

Reaction score
On a side note, not sure how hard they are to find but i seen a MPG gauge just like in steves hallett which i have the same one in my hallett laying on the boat parts shelf at echo lodge store all dusty brand new in box. I was thinking it was a rare find but never checked lol.