WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

1999 Essex Vortex

Kiddin Around

Reaction score
Hey guys...I have a 99 Essex Vortex...Does anyone on here work on their own boat...for example oil changes, impeller changes etc. I am trying to see what needs to be done for service on the boat before taking it out. I have a 454 but not sure if its an Alpha or Bravo Drive. I was thinking oil changes, maybe impeller (i had it replaced around spring break last year) check the belts for cracks and i am not sure what else. Please let me know what type of oil would be best for this boat. Any advice would be helpful.

Thank you in advance.

Chris

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
It's refreshing seeing someone asking questions and not claiming to be Mr know it all.
Thank you.
As I like to say. There are no stupid questions, just stupid people afraid to ask questions.

Xring01

Reaction score
Hey guys...I have a 99 Essex Vortex...Does anyone on here work on their own boat...for example oil changes, impeller changes etc. I am trying to see what needs to be done for service on the boat before taking it out. I have a 454 but not sure if its an Alpha or Bravo Drive. I was thinking oil changes, maybe impeller (i had it replaced around spring break last year) check the belts for cracks and i am not sure what else. Please let me know what type of oil would be best for this boat. Any advice would be helpful.

Thank you in advance.

Chris
Basic maintenance... Oil, Filters, Belts, Exhaust, Plugs, Wires, Impellors, Thermostats, Zincs, Hydraulics,

I have done my own for many many years, on the many boats I have owned. I/O both Merc and Volvos 350s 496s, Alphas Bravos and SX,
Outboards - 2 Honda 130s, 2- Yamaha 200 HPDIs, 2- Yamaha 250 4 strokes, 2 Yamaha 115 4 strokes

Youtube has a bunch of great videos to show you the majority of what you need to know.

Oil- have always used the Manufacturers recommendation on the Oil and filters. That I bought at a local marine dealers.
I have considers going to Synthetics that can be bought at Oreillys or Napa, but I never did that... OEM Recommendations is all I have used.