WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

1st World Problems. Living with and RV Garage Door Full Time?

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
My wife and I absolutely love where we live and don't want to leave this area. However, we would really like a one story home.

There is a new development that is going to become available for purchase in the next few months with amazing view lots, way more privacy and still in our same area. We could live with the three car garage options but we hate the floor plans of those particular models. The 2600sqft has a huge RV garage and we dig the floor plan as well. It does have a side door to take bicycles etc in and out of it but other than that it does only have one huge ass door for auto/boat/golf cart etc access. Does having that huge door become a pain in the ass over time? We are in and out of our garage a lot.

We like the modern elevation; here is a rendering. These doors are giant! And of course the cost of the new home has to fit our budget so all of this is useless if we cant afford them.

What say you RDP brain trust? Have a blessed week and please message me if you're ever in the Lake Las Vegas area and we can grab a cocktail!

20210413_103654.jpg

Last edited:

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Garage door doesnt look tall enough for an RV, needs to be 14'. Whats the door width, 20'? The huge ass part isnt that big of a deal other than you will lose all of your AC cooling pretty quick when you open it.

X Hoser

Reaction score
I like it! Option to have indoor storage for an RV would be a huge plus for me. The RV could also double as an area for guests to stay. I wouldn’t be concerned about the doors at all. If only used for autos you can program openers to stop each time at a predetermined height and not have to open all of the way. 2600 single story living is very manageable!

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
theres programable remotes that hit the button twice to stop the door after a delay so its only open to like 8' rather than the full 14'. It kinda makes a racket though as its a hard stop in the middle of its tension, some rollers are in limbo in the tracks, etc.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Garage door doesnt look tall enough for an RV, needs to be 14'. Whats the door width, 20'? The huge ass part isnt that big of a deal other than you will lose all of your AC cooling pretty quick when you open it.

It's at least 14' or more. There is a less expensive neighborhood that actually has this model. Doesn't look anything like it as they don't offer this elevation but same floor plan. We went over to see it and the door is huge. They actually had a shorter diesel pusher in the garage.

FishSniper

Reaction score
My wife and I absolutely love where we live and don't want to leave this area. However, we would really like a one story home.

There is a new development that is going to become available for purchase in the next few months with amazing view lots, way more privacy and still in our same area. We could live with the three car garage options but we hate the floor plans of those particular models. The 2600sqft has a huge RV garage and we dig the floor plan as well. It does have a side door to take bicycles etc in and out of it but other than that it does only have one huge ass door for auto/boat/golf cart etc access. Does having that huge door become a pain in the ass over time? We are in and out of our garage a lot.

We like the modern elevation; here is a rendering. These doors are giant! And of course the cost of the new home has to fit our budget so all of this is useless if we cant afford them.

What say you RDP brain trust? Have a blessed week and please message me if you're ever in the Lake Las Vegas area and we can grab a cocktail!

View attachment 994621
Go for it you can never have enough garage. We have an 18.5x73 ft RV garage and I’ve already managed to fill most of it up. The larger door will be an afterthought after a few days.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Go for it you can never have enough garage. We have an 18.5x73 ft RV garage and I’ve already managed to fill most of it up. The larger door will be an afterthought after a few days.
Very true, if you own it you will fill it. First house, three car garage with on bay 50' deep, filled it. Second house two car and a 20 by 55 RV garage, filled that. Third house, three car garage plus 26 by 55 RV garage, filled that. Now we have a two car and a 20 by 50 RV garage, plus a 26 by 50 storage condo we own and a 14 by 50 rental storage unit, all full.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
This one is 23 wide 43 deep btw. Thanks for all the input. Oh we hate the back porch covering too, looks awful. But other than that if it fits our budget we will see!

RCDave

Reaction score
Very true, if you own it you will fill it. First house, three car garage with on bay 50' deep, filled it. Second house two car and a 20 by 55 RV garage, filled that. Third house, three car garage plus 26 by 55 RV garage, filled that. Now we have a two car and a 20 by 50 RV garage, plus a 26 by 50 storage condo we own and a 14 by 50 rental storage unit, all full.

DANG! LOL

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I have a tall door on my shop at home. I think it is 12 tall. With the side style opener. It is so quiet I can open it and you don't even hear it operate. I sure wouldn't let it stop me from buying an awesome home.

You have more pics of this home? Or the renderings? It looks cool.

TrollerDave

Reaction score

View attachment 994621

Do you have an RV? If not, could you build a loft or something for extra storage with that height?
Could you put an additional small single garage door somewhere else?
I haven’t been to LLV in about 15 years ago, but I really liked it there. Quiet and mellow.

just_floatin

Reaction score
Can’t go wrong with RV garage home resale that’s for sure. If available, I suggest adding 50amp service, RV dump drain and a couple of mini split units. Tons of options for the garage too. I always wanted to one of these in an RV garage with a bar underneath the mezzanine. Good Luck
8D2436D1-F173-4D3D-98FD-BAF4BB9C0025.jpeg

Last edited:

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Do you have an RV? If not, could you build a loft or something for extra storage with that height?
Could you put an additional small single garage door somewhere else?
I haven’t been to LLV in about 15 years ago, but I really liked it there. Quiet and mellow.

That's a great idea.

We love it. It's out of control now though but still quiet. Lots of restaurants open and opening amd really growing.

Slick

Reaction score
It's at least 14' or more. There is a less expensive neighborhood that actually has this model. Doesn't look anything like it as they don't offer this elevation but same floor plan. We went over to see it and the door is huge. They actually had a shorter diesel pusher in the garage.
Anything over 14’ high I was told is commercial, and would be a roll up.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Wow, these are pretty amazing looking!

We looked at Blue Heron and it was just more than we felt comfortable spending at the time. Now we kind of kick ourselves, as the one we could have bought was 998k and. Now worth 1.6 or so. However, the amount of equity in our home is bigger percentage wise than the Blue Heron. They are nice but actually too big for us. We just dont need over 3000 sq feet, that's just ridiculous for the two of us. We love modern, but warmer modern and the Herons tend to be slightly a little prison looking for us.

Last edited:

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
I have a tall door on my shop at home. I think it is 12 tall. With the side style opener. It is so quiet I can open it and you don't even hear it operate. I sure wouldn't let it stop me from buying an awesome home.

You have more pics of this home? Or the renderings? It looks cool.

There is nothing on it right now. Basically only a site map and that's it. The lots are amazing though and actually have better views than the Blue Heron's right down the street. They actually over look the Blue Herons on one side of the development.

Builder is less than desirable as its Lennar, but they built some higher end 700 to 1mil homes recently called the Outlook in the neighborhood and they are beautiful, so I hope these follow suit. Super nice finishes, design, and community landscape.

We really want to build a custom, but I just don't think that is in our wheelhouse cost wise.

Here is the floor plan I had saved on my phone.
20210421_133532.jpg

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score

Good to know, thank you. It is darn tall and I assume over 13 feet. We have 8foot doors in our new house and these seriously looked double.

We will never own anything over 12 feet or so.

Slick

Reaction score
You never know😂. Even for resell. What Walt indicated. Most large class A’s need 14’. And go with widest possible. Not a lot of price difference.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
"Primary" is one of the new terms instead of Master.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
prices apparently 1.8M to 2.7M

The new Blue Herons that they are building across the street from the ones we looked at are that price. I think Vantage is sold out amd the new ones are called Caliza. Vantage started out right at a mil when we were buying. Very cool for sure.

Sucky thing about stuff like 3800sq ft Blue Herons is many only have a two car and 3 car max.

Last edited:

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
I built a detached RV garage a few years ago, with 16' high ceilings and a 14' garage door opening. Based on my research, a 14' door opening is needed for the tallest RVs to clear, so I'd recommend that you get at least that high for resale value. Also, I went for the side mount "jackshaft" door opener system because it was a cleaner install, but if I was doing it again I would go with a std track opener. The jackshaft opener relies on gravity to pull the garage door down, and with such a large door and only 2' height difference between the door opening and ceiling height, I need to have extra tension springs to help push the door down to get it started when closing. The system works fairly well now, but it took a few adjustments to get it working and I still don't trust it 100%.

Back to your original question, I also have 11' high garage doors on my house and don't give it a second thought. They are just bigger than usual garage doors but I got used to it pretty quickly. I'd go for the new house with RV garage if it fits what you are looking for.

riversteveo

Reaction score
Lennar is building the same model up in Stone bridge .. west Summmerlin. However 55 or older community...million plus, and bidding wars.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Lennar is building the same model up in Stone bridge .. west Summmerlin. However 55 or older community...million plus, and bidding wars.

Yeah the one we went to was 55plus. I hope these are not although I'm getting close. Haha! Edit. The ones in LLV are not 55plus

We assume they will be about 800k up from what we are seeing but honestly I have no clue.

Last edited:

caribbean20

Reaction score
Off topic, but I think you will really enjoy the ranch style home with all of the important stuff on the main floor. We made the leap a few years ago after retirement.

HBCraig

Reaction score
There is nothing on it right now. Basically only a site map and that's it. The lots are amazing though and actually have better views than the Blue Heron's right down the street. They actually over look the Blue Herons on one side of the development.

Builder is less than desirable as its Lennar, but they built some higher end 700 to 1mil homes recently called the Outlook in the neighborhood and they are beautiful, so I hope these follow suit. Super nice finishes, design, and community landscape.

We really want to build a custom, but I just don't think that is in our wheelhouse cost wise.

Here is the floor plan I had saved on my phone.
View attachment 994666
Whats the price in these BR?

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
14 is all you need, no RV is over 14'. mine wont fit in a 13 but 14 isnt an issue

SnoC653

Reaction score
Dumb question time. Are they counting the garage in the total sq. footage? Nice floor plan but I'm not seeing 2500 sq. ft.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Dumb question time. Are they counting the garage in the total sq. footage? Nice floor plan but I'm not seeing 2500 sq. ft.

No, garages are not included in sqft. They are pretty good size inside.

Last edited:

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Off topic, but I think you will really enjoy the ranch style home with all of the important stuff on the main floor. We made the leap a few years ago after retirement.

We have had three one stories homes but they didn't have anything here when we bought that fit our needs. We prefer a ranch for sure.

702sandman

Reaction score
We are hearing 750 to 800 base prices. So who knows? I would assume 900 nicely optioned then.
The only problem I have always found with living in a place like lake Las Vegas or McDonald highland etc is that if I want to get in my RZR and go for a ride I can leave from my house and pretty much go anywhere, they also don’t like when you fire up a sand rail to load at 10 pm for a trip either lol. I just finished building my new place right here off of wagon wheel and 95 in the horse streets. I bought a acre and built the house at 3700 and my detached garage at 3600. I ended up at around 700K so far and still have my pool to finish. I have always preferred to build over to buy you end up way better off in the long run...just my 2 cents ...hope you get what you want
4AD5F1E5-DA7A-4344-815B-FBB4AFD0005C.jpeg F6BEF87F-41AD-43DA-B898-7D453C3A0559.jpeg FC9EE80A-1D22-4719-AA8E-8AF539B04059.jpeg 42ABB6F3-0286-4057-B7C6-DBC797EDD916.jpeg AAB1067C-43A7-4EF0-8CD9-70CEEC7A3B23.jpeg 9947B079-1729-470B-BD6A-7E501245C284.jpeg

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
The only problem I have always found with living in a place like lake Las Vegas or McDonald highland etc is that if I want to get in my RZR and go for a ride I can leave from my house and pretty much go anywhere, they also don’t like when you fire up a sand rail to load at 10 pm for a trip either lol. I just finished building my new place right here off of wagon wheel and 95 in the horse streets. I bought a acre and built the house at 3700 and my detached garage at 3600. I ended up at around 700K so far and still have my pool to finish. I have always preferred to build over to buy you end up way better off in the long run...just my 2 cents ...hope you get what you want
View attachment 994794 View attachment 994795 View attachment 994796 View attachment 994797 View attachment 994798 View attachment 994799

Well we don't really have any off road toys right now or anything loud and I don't know if we will anytime soon. We ride bikes, paddleboard, hike, go to happy hours etc and travel a ton. We love being able to walk, ride a bike or take our golf cart to dinner. We have considered some other areas where we would have some land, but we are just kind of out in the middle of nowhere which we like and don't like.

Who knows what the future will bring?

702sandman

Reaction score
Well we don't really have any off road toys right now or anything loud and I don't know if we will anytime soon. We ride bikes, paddleboard, hike, go to happy hours etc and travel a ton. We love being able to walk, ride a bike or take our golf cart to dinner. We have considered some other areas where we would have some land, but we are just kind of out in the middle of nowhere which we like and don't like.

Who knows what the future will bring?
Lake Las Vegas would be awesome for you then. You can do all those activities right There at the lake 👍

GregG

Reaction score
If you end up going the route you are considering, you should consider integrating a balcony into that garage given you have so much height and width. Lot of uses.

riversteveo

Reaction score
Wait till you see what they get for the lot premium.......and the community in Summerlin is limited to how many with the RV garage will be built....aka,, a extra lot premium.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Lake Las Vegas would be awesome for you then. You can do all those activities right There at the lake 👍

My wife and I would love to hear more about your process and who you used. The cost we are seeing is out of control and we didint think we could do anything for the prices you are mentioning.

We actually like a lot in your area. There are a ton of new constructions going up.

Funny though over near Ractrack road how many people must be using the same company because there are at least four new custom homes (not next door to eachother) and they all are so similar and boring. I would think if someone was going to go that route they would at least not want their house to look like their neighbor's. Guess that's what happens when everyone uses the same contractor that says, "yeah we do awesome designs" and they have no design experience and sell all their customers the same "custom" home that looks like every other tract home.

We have gone back and forth on having land and no HOAs. Definitely something to be said about that for sure. There are a few areas we have looked at to possibly build a home but the ones we rrally like I don't think would be in our price range.

Our biggest problem with areas like Racetrack is you will have one bitchen home and right next door a house with old cars leaking in the fron yard and rabid dogs.

Last edited: