WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2.5 block ID

Duramax

Reaction score
I have asked a few people about this and nobody can give me definitive answer, not that it's super important, I would just like to know. As I was looking around on S&F one day I came across a chart that ID's Mercury 2.5 blocks by the stamping on the block. Being a little curios, I looked at mine and see that I have stamped, LL. On the picture you will see that "LL" is - 2.5 260-Drag.
Does that mean the 260 block has a Drag type porting or? There is also a "PP" for just simply a 260? I am still a rookie at these 2.5's in general, so I have no clue. My good buddy Chris who has a 300 Drag, sure enough has the, "SS" stamping, 300 Drag. Nice and simple!!
Again, this is just for my own enjoyment, if somebody knows it would be neat. I tried S&F but somebody gave me the definition of a Drag motor, not really what I was looking for, lol.
IMG_2617.jpg

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
260 wont be a drag, what is the number on the block? Is the block painted or raw?

stoker2001

Reaction score
260s will have the LL,but are definatly NOT drag porting and have 34-38cc heads which can run on Pump premium.another way to tell is the ECU model/number and fuel pressure regulater..all 260s had gold reg (39psi),where drags have black regs 56PSI..also drags can have horn or slider intake,but all have 26cc heads that require 100 octane fuel

Duramax

Reaction score
260s will have the LL,but are definatly NOT drag porting and have 34-38cc heads which can run on Pump premium.another way to tell is the ECU model/number and fuel pressure regulater..all 260s had gold reg (39psi),where drags have black regs 56PSI..also drags can have horn or slider intake,but all have 26cc heads that require 100 octane fuel
I didn't think mine was a Drag, due to the things you have pointed out. What I do not understand is, "PP" is just the 260. Why does "LL" have Drag attached to it?

Duramax

Reaction score
Well, I may have gotten a little bit of an answer. Some of the castings are shared with the Drags, some bearings and maybe end caps. Doesn't look like anything else. Cool non the less!

stoker2001

Reaction score
Well, I may have gotten a little bit of an answer. Some of the castings are shared with the Drags, some bearings and maybe end caps. Doesn't look like anything else. Cool non the less!
the 280s that came along around year 2000 had VERY similar blocks/porting to a drag with slightly lower exhaust ports.That is where similarities end as all 280s had modern Motorola electronics (no stators,triggers or switch box) with alternators.slightly diff head bolt pattern..They were more user friendly pump premium, but still racy with ROS version capable of 8300RPMs

Duramax

Reaction score
the 280s that came along around year 2000 had VERY similar blocks/porting to a drag with slightly lower exhaust ports.That is where similarities end as all 280s had modern Motorola electronics (no stators,triggers or switch box) with alternators.slightly diff head bolt pattern..They were more user friendly pump premium, but still racy with ROS version capable of 8300RPMs
I have Brucatos on both, along with the Simon Motorsports Alternator kits, which I heard are both good upgrades for the 260's, as mine run fantastic. Mine have the gold regulators and horn intake. Thanks for the info everyone.