WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2.5L 280 Fuel issue

Brooks D'Antonio

Reaction score
Hey guys, I had a random fuel issue with my 280 over LDW. The boat fires up no problem and gets on plane but every now and then the motor would shut down. As soon as I can feel it about to happen I would chop back on the throttle and it would continue. Each time the boat shut off it would always start back up and sounded healthy.

My first thought was maybe there had been air in the lines. I did my best to take off the return line, turn on the fuel pump and key to try and purge the air out. Everything seemed ok, but continued to have the same issue.

Before summer I had my injectors cleaned and flow tested so I’m not sure that is the problem.

I went through each fuel line and nothing seemed cracked and did a sanity check to make sure each hose clamp was tight. Does anyone have any idea on what could be causing this? Fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

BD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hallett21

Reaction score
Fuel pump starting to die? Change out fuel filters?

Brooks D'Antonio

Reaction score
Fuel pump starting to die? Change out fuel filters?

Could be a possibility, was thinking that over the weekend. It seemed strong when I pulled the line off the return and tried to purge any possible are out. I haven’t changed the fuel filters out yet, but was planning on that for peace of mind.

hallett21

Reaction score
The throttle chop would allow you to recover? Or it would still die?

Brooks D'Antonio

Reaction score
It would allow me to recover briefly at times but shortly continued to be inconsistent.

Riverbottom

Reaction score
I would also inspect the coast guard anti siphon check valves in the fuel pickups on your tanks. I have had these go bad or stick on more than one boat, and starve the engine for fuel.

Brooks D'Antonio

Reaction score
I would also inspect the coast guard anti siphon check valves in the fuel pickups on your tanks. I have had these go bad or stick on more than one boat, and starve the engine for fuel.

I’ll check those, thanks for the info [emoji1303]

BajaMike

Reaction score
I didn’t see what engine you have. Fuel or Fire? If the fuel system seems ok, how about the computer? Can’t you have that scanned?

STV_Keith

Reaction score
As mentioned, check the tank/pickups, change the fuel filter. There isn't going to be air in the lines in a return style system. Does the return plumb back to the tank or to the fuel filter/separator? I have seen the filter housings crack and allow air in/fuel pressure out.

Brooks D'Antonio

Reaction score
I didn’t see what engine you have. Fuel or Fire? If the fuel system seems ok, how about the computer? Can’t you have that scanned?

It’s a 99 Merc 2.5L 280. Fires up just fine each time, just getting inconsistent fuel to the motor it seems. Almost like air in the lines.

Brooks D'Antonio

Reaction score
As mentioned, check the tank/pickups, change the fuel filter. There isn't going to be air in the lines in a return style system. Does the return plumb back to the tank or to the fuel filter/separator? I have seen the filter housings crack and allow air in/fuel pressure out.

Gotcha, thanks for the response. It is a return style system like you mentioned. The return plumbs back to the fuel filter/separator. I was going to take the filter off last weekend but didn’t have the right tools where I was at.

gqchris

Reaction score
BOAT2.jpg

Do you have a Fuel Pressure gauge in the dash Brooks? I have one and it remains at 55 all the time. If I ever see it deviate I know I got a pressure problem.

Here's a pic of the pump on my 300 in case it helps any. Is yours the same style?

GETBOATS

Reaction score
ELIMINATE THE BOATS FUEL SYSTEM, RUN IT ON A PORTABLE FUEL SUPPLY, THEN YOU'LL KNOW IF YOU HAVE A MOTOR ISSUE OR BOAT.

Once that has been established, a vacuum gauge can help if its the boat, a pressure gauge if its a motor pump issue

all the above are good ideas, but guesses. let the evidence be your guide

Brooks D'Antonio

Reaction score
View attachment 794830

Do you have a Fuel Pressure gauge in the dash Brooks? I have one and it remains at 55 all the time. If I ever see it deviate I know I got a pressure problem.

Here's a pic of the pump on my 300 in case it helps any. Is yours the same style?

I don’t have a fuel pressure gauge in the dash, but would be helpful. I was going to install an adjustable fuel pressure regulator so I can see exactly what I’m getting. Thanks for the pic/response.

stoker2001

Reaction score
maybey a temp fuel press test gauge in between rail and pump so you can moniter it while running.280s have the 39PSI gold regulater.If it dies with good pressure then I would be looking at ECM box

gqchris

Reaction score
Brooks you ever figure out what was the problem?

Chris

Luv2gofast

Reaction score
Be careful about running that motor out of gas. I toasted a piston trying to nurse mine back to the ramp with an empty tank. I would for sure get a temporary gauge on it that you can see while driving to find out if it's got a pressure problem.

Brooks D'Antonio

Reaction score
Brooks you ever figure out what was the problem?

Chris
To be honest the past few weeks I have not had the time to dig into it. Later in the week I plan to tear into it and squeeze some more river trips before the cold weather comes in. I'll keep you guys posted with what I find. Pretty confident with all the comments I'll be able to figure it out.

BD

Brooks D'Antonio

Reaction score
Be careful about running that motor out of gas. I toasted a piston trying to nurse mine back to the ramp with an empty tank. I would for sure get a temporary gauge on it that you can see while driving to find out if it's got a pressure problem.
I'm always super cautions of that happening. I've had that happen to a few buddies. I had two full tanks when this happened to me.

H20beater

Reaction score
I talked to Joe at DBR explained what was going on he told me right away ecu was bad so I replaced it and ran great again!

Brooks D'Antonio

Reaction score
I talked to Joe at DBR explained what was going on he told me right away ecu was bad so I replaced it and ran great again!

Right on! Thanks for the info dude! I was planning on calling Joe tomorrow.