WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2.5L Offshore

Badchoices03

Reaction score
Looking at a boat with this motor on it, I am a total newbie when it comes to outboards, but looking for something different.

I think I read somewhere that this motor can not be registered in California because its not CARB compliant. Is that true?

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Looking at a boat with this motor on it, I am a total newbie when it comes to outboards, but looking for something different.

I think I read somewhere that this motor can not be registered in California because its not CARB compliant. Is that true?
Never heard that before about the CA thing, I would love a 2.5 offshore, it has the offshore mid? If you want to trade for a more docile 225 optimax with oil injection and some cash let me know. The if its a 260 or 280 its basically a race engine, they scream but really dont like much about idleing around the dock. They smoke alot because they didnt come with oil injection so you have to add the oil ratio for WOT which means lots of oil which means lots of smoke going slow and the resulting stalling.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
I believe it’s the standard 200 not the 260/280.
IMG_5254.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Shouldn't be an issue with registration or anything. Tahoe and a select few lakes have emissions restrictions but thats about it. A 2.5 Fuel injected offshore engine should be a nice solid set-up. That looks like a nice, clean package right there.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
OK, thats a 2.5 200 offshore, not one of the racing engines with a offshore mid section (ie loud) and needs race gas. The offshore in that engine name means it has some additional salt / corrosion protection features, thats all. Not sure if that one still has oil injection or not. Two schools of thought, oil injection is nice but if it fails your engine blows up within minutes, on the other hand if you disconnect it and run premix you dont have to worry about that happening but you do have to deal with adding oil at the gas pump.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Here is the latest on the lakes you could not go to.....

Ban on carbureted 2-cycle outboards: San Pablo Reservoir, Lake Tahoe, other than sailboats (with additional ban starting Oct. 1, 2001, for EFI, RFI and auxiliary engines for sailboats), Calero Reservoir (quota enacted) and Coyote Lake (quota enacted).Feb 23, 2000

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
And that engine is pretty tame, wont have all the finicky issues like the 260 and 280 race engines.

Hydroman55

Reaction score
And that engine is pretty tame, wont have all the finicky issues like the 260 and 280 race engines.
This….stay away from the 260 and 280, fun as shit but plan on a tear down anywhere from a 100 hours plus depending on how you run it.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
Oh well, nevermind on this boat, my financial advisor says there isn't enough room on the hatch for her to layout and the motor would get in the way of her views...:rolleyes:

Backlash

Reaction score
Oh well, nevermind on this boat, my financial advisor says there isn't enough room on the hatch for her to layout and the motor would get in the way of her views...:rolleyes:

Tell her it's better to lay out on the bow. That way you can enjoy her beauty while you're relaxing in the comfy driver's seat! Explain to her all the benefits of a lightweight fuel efficient engine which will help you save money on the water.....providing you with more money to spend pampering her. 😉

Badchoices03

Reaction score
Tell her it's better to lay out on the bow. That way you can enjoy her beauty while you're relaxing in the comfy driver's seat! Explain to her all the benefits of a lightweight fuel efficient engine which will help you save money on the water.....providing you with more money to spend pampering her. 😉

Good one! I did actually try to go the fuel efficient route, you know because of the current gas prices, but shes a solid NO on this boat.

Duramax

Reaction score
Those are some nasty little things, drags?
If you go down the rabbit hole of the 260/2.5 world, you would find out that the 93/94 260's built with an LL code, were built as a drag spec, with higher rpm limit, little more fuel, bigger chest, etc. Still small bearing though, and still not nearly what the later Drag's would be. The later and some early 260's, with a PP code, was set as the true "offshore version" , lower rpm, fuel, but would eventually change to the big bearing. These are LL so they are indeed the Drag blocks.

It took me a long time to find that difference out, as not many know. Also, these have alien cowls because I have Simon alternators.

My 21 is a savage. Get another one so we can go run these Walt.

Last edited:

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
If you go down the rabbit hole of the 260/2.5 world, you would find out that the 93/94 260's built with an LL code, were built as a drag spec, with higher rpm limit, little more fuel, bigger chest, etc. Still small bearing though, and still not nearly what the later Drag's would be. The later and some early 260's, with a PP code, was set as the true "offshore version" , lower rpm, fuel, but would eventually change to the big bearing.

It took me a long time to find that difference out, as not many know. Also, these have alien cowls because I have Simon alternators.

My 21 is a savage. Get another one so we can go run these Walt.
Working on it

Duramax

Reaction score
I've never seen twins without hydraulic steering, does it work well? Mine is like 6 turns lock to lock, would love to have power steering with a quicker ratio.
It's not bad at all, but it is something I am going to do. Next year I am going to the SeaStar Pro with the units up front. That will also allow me to run a tilt helm which I really, REALLY, want.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I've never seen twins without hydraulic steering, does it work well? Mine is like 6 turns lock to lock, would love to have power steering with a quicker ratio.
Its a little bit safer since if one cable fails the other engine will keep it straight with the tie bar, but damn, I wouldnt even get in a small boat with twin 280's with out hydraulic and side plate rams. You have larger balls than I.