WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2.7 eco boost....who has them, how have they been

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Who here has a 2.7 eco boost F150, and how have they worked out for you?

looking at a 2.7 river commuter with 4wd for launching the boat from storage. I’m sure it’s fine for all that, but would it be ok for the occasional tow to Powell every few years? My boat is 28’ on a triple axle, so my gut feeling is probably not with the elevation climb thru Williams AZ.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I’ve driven a 2.7 with pedal commander and 35’s, didn’t really pull any weight with it but did pull the flat bed and my buggy amazingly. If i was looking at a new truck right now I’d be replacing my diesel with a turbo gas engine for sure.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score

looking at a 2.7 river commuter with 4wd for launching the boat from storage. I’m sure it’s fine for all that, but would it be ok for the occasional tow to Powell every few years? My boat is 28’ on a triple axle, so my gut feeling is probably not with the elevation climb thru Williams AZ.
I thought you were a Chebby LS fan? Has something happened?😳😂

BajaMike

Reaction score

Boat launching no problem. Tow to Lake Powell, get a big block gas or diesel.

Reactions: TPC

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I thought you were a Chebby LS fan? Has something happened?😳😂

Still am!
looking to get rid of the “mpg” car and just roll the truck as the daily driver for myself. Current truck is 14mpg and 2wd. Love the truck, but if I’m gonna daily it need some mpg. 4wd is nice to have for launching

TOBTEK

Reaction score
Just flew to St Louis and drove the kids 2020 F150 4wd, 2.7L back. Apx 1900 miles in a day and half. I’m thus far throughly impressed with the little 2.7. The thing Rips! Very surprised the feel and power it delivers.
Wouldn’t recommend towing the 8 or 9k it’s rated at, but as a DD.......seems like a good option.

More importantly....... the new supercharged V8 Raptor gets released Feb 3. Now I gotta sell the 2020[emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spectras only

Reaction score
Doubt the fuel economy of the 2.7 much greater than the 3.5, I'd go for the 3.5 for sure towing a 28 footer. I'm guessing you have a single engine in your boat? If it's twins, definitely get the 3.5

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
My work truck is the 2.7. 2wd crew cab regular bed.

It had 60k on the clock when I got it and I'm about 75 now. Towed I few loads of 5k from apple valley to ventura.

When not towing the thing hauls ass. And cruises well. Averaging about 20mpg. Towing was about 14ish. As a daily driver you'd be good. A 28' for boat flat tow should be no prob. climbing hills and altitude you'd probably struggle.

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
Go with the 3.5 if you are towing to Powell or longer distances. For around town towing and as a freeway flier, the 2.7 would be just fine (Do you really want a 165 cu/in V6 engine towing your boat? The 3.5/213 is small enough!) Just FYI, I will never have an EcoBoost that isn’t under factory warranty. Not if, but when they give up, it will be catastrophic $$$.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Go with the 3.5 if you are towing to Powell or longer distances. For around town towing and as a freeway flier, the 2.7 would be just fine (Do you really want a 165 cu/in V6 engine towing your boat? The 3.5/213 is small enough!) Just FYI, I will never have an EcoBoost that isn’t under factory warranty. Not if, but when they give up, it will be catastrophic $$$.
That’s the other thing.....warranty lol

I know the answer to my question you just reaffirmed it! Had a moment of unclarity Haha

I’m gonna pass

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
How about the little Duramax 3.0?

DirtyWhiteDog

Reaction score
Just flew to St Louis and drove the kids 2020 F150 4wd, 2.7L back. Apx 1900 miles in a day and half. I’m thus far throughly impressed with the little 2.7. The thing Rips! Very surprised the feel and power it delivers.
Wouldn’t recommend towing the 8 or 9k it’s rated at, but as a DD.......seems like a good option.

More importantly....... the new supercharged V8 Raptor gets released Feb 3. Now I gotta sell the 2020[emoji1787]

Did you come back via I70 or I40 ?
Wondering how it did on tje grade out of Denver

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Anybody ever replace a water pump on a 2.7 or 3.5 ??

Ghit

Reaction score
I have 20k mi on 2019 2.7l, 22mpg and great daily driver. I was sold on the test drive. It sucks in/out of 4th and 7th gear. On my first oil change I found fine metal shavings embedded in the plastic oil filter cap threads which took a pick to remove. Changed the oil recently and found a metric fuck tonne more. This engine will die the day after my warranty term I'm calling it now.

I don't know what you want. I haul with early 6.0l f250's so I can't understand why you would want to try pulling anything with a 2.7l f150...

lbhsbz

Reaction score
That’s the other thing.....warranty lol

I know the answer to my question you just reaffirmed it! Had a moment of unclarity Haha

I’m gonna pass
Warranty won't do fuckall for you on the side of the road in the middle of the desert. I'd rather buy gas for a big underworked engine that will loaf along for ever than a tiny turbo strung out thing.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I have 20k mi on 2019 2.7l, 22mpg and great daily driver. I was sold on the test drive. It sucks in/out of 4th and 7th gear. On my first oil change I found fine metal shavings embedded in the plastic oil filter cap threads which took a pick to remove. Changed the oil recently and found a metric fuck tonne more. This engine will die the day after my warranty term I'm calling it now.

I don't know what you want. I haul with early 6.0l f250's so I can't understand why you would want to try pulling anything with a 2.7l f150...

Were the shards magnetic? Just curious...

riverroyal

Reaction score
Ive towed to powell. 3.5 with 35s.
25ft toon. Power was not a issue.
Gas milage was 10.
I would not want to tow with the 2.7
It will struggle in the heat

I have a f150 power boost on order. Be here in march.

Reactions: DWC

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
I have a 2014 F150 with the 3.5, 155K trouble free miles. I would get the 3.5 if I was you as the fuel economy of the 2.7 is not worth less HP. I have towed my 24 Schiada from OC to Havi and other places, no issues - plenty of torque/power. You will be fine towing a 28' boat every few years to Powell.

Some folks mention that they wouldn't own a turbo anything without a factory warranty. Okay, whatever. There are hundreds of thousands of these engines in service without issues. There will always be exceptions but all warranties expire and extended warranties are for folks that don't plan for emergencies-should be self insured for those type of things.

There are other half ton 4wds that will also fit your needs from other makers. Go drive all of them before you decide.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
80K on my 15", Hauls ass, get great mileage (average 22) flat foot zero to 80 is awesome the little motor makes 350+ HP , Have drag raced my 14' f150 (5.0) against my son its about even @ 1000 ft , takes the 2.7 a second to spool , Tows a full grown day cruiser well.... also when doing my damage inspections , the problems that do occur seem to be of greater incidence on 3.5

Last edited:

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
I have a 2014 F150 with the 3.5, 155K trouble free miles. I would get the 3.5 if I was you as the fuel economy of the 2.7 is not worth less HP. I have towed my 24 Schiada from OC to Havi and other places, no issues - plenty of torque/power. You will be fine towing a 28' boat every few years to Powell.

Some folks mention that they wouldn't own a turbo anything without a factory warranty. Okay, whatever. There are hundreds of thousands of these engines in service without issues. There will always be exceptions but all warranties expire and extended warranties are for folks that don't plan for emergencies-should be self insured for those type of things.

There are other half ton 4wds that will also fit your needs from other makers. Go drive all of them before you decide.
Yep. To each their own. When my 3.5 passenger side turbo shit the bed at 41K miles it was covered under extended warranty. $3400 for turbo, manifold, and other miscellaneous items. Extended warranty was 1/2 that. I figure I’m ahead already. And no, the warranty won’t help me in the middle of the desert if this thing pops. And I wouldn’t expect it to??? That’s dumb. But my bill will be next to nothing when it’s back on the road.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Two friend who's families own Ford dealerships told me mostly Black Employees building the trucks, mostly white customers so this is what you get:
The bodies are being place on the frames pinching and crushing the wiring harness's and causing shorts and grounding, harnesses missing fasteners thus contacting the hot exhausts among 6 more assembly related issues.
That's what they tell me.
YouTube is full of examples.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Two friend who's families own Ford dealerships told me mostly Black Employees building the trucks, mostly white customers so this is what you get:
The bodies are being place on the frames pinching and crushing the wiring harness's and causing shorts and grounding, harnesses missing fasteners thus contacting the hot exhausts among 6 more assembly related issues.
Huh. So the black employees are angry that whites buy trucks. Lol

The owners of the dealers you know should talk about this conspiracy publicly.
That would be fun to watch

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
The last issue I expected to read about was rampant maliciously racist truck assembly 🤔

Ghit

Reaction score
Were the shards magnetic? Just curious...
There is a lot of aluminum in this truck and the magnet says no. After these allegations of assembly line racists I just don't know what to believe anymore, the shavings could be magnesium at this point.

Ghit

Reaction score

I could not allow this revelation to pass by without comment.

Exhibit A: No. 7 coil from a 2013 f150 5.0l,
5ohcoil.png

Observe the circled folds in the seal and not one but TWO tears. This coil has never been removed with over 198k mi. on the vehicle so the only possible explanation is assembly line racists. It is a very subtle form of racism that only a ford dealer owners son would correctly recognize.

The astute reader has already picked up on the most alarming fact about this racism. That's right, this 'assemblage racism' is now systemic occurring over the course of YEARS of production!

I rest my case.

The only possible solution would be to form a mob and burn down ford factories. I say we start with the Lima plant because fuck Ohio!

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score

Really?!?!?!?

I don't mix it up on here to speak of, I just keep out of the petty stuff but this is really just over the top stupid.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
There is a lot of aluminum in this truck and the magnet says no. After these allegations of assembly line racists I just don't know what to believe anymore, the shavings could be magnesium at this point.

Hahaha...

Usually aluminum is pistons or the like. At least I don't think ford has started building cranks, bearings and camshaft out of the stuff yet.

But ya know, racism.

stoker2001

Reaction score
I could not allow this revelation to pass by without comment.

Exhibit A: No. 7 coil from a 2013 f150 5.0l,
View attachment 968600
Observe the circled folds in the seal and not one but TWO tears. This coil has never been removed with over 198k mi. on the vehicle so the only possible explanation is assembly line racists. It is a very subtle form of racism that only a ford dealer owners son would correctly recognize.

The astute reader has already picked up on the most alarming fact about this racism. That's right, this 'assemblage racism' is now systemic occurring over the course of YEARS of production!

I rest my case.

The only possible solution would be to form a mob and burn down ford factories. I say we start with the Lima plant because fuck Ohio!
198K on that coil and there is a concern?here at work we have a fleet of newer eco-boost transits,Tauras police interceptors and explorers,i service the plugs and see the same thing with folds in seal.Doesnt seem to cause any probs

BajaMike

Reaction score
Get your big blocks while you can. Biden is going to outlaw them.

manxman

Reaction score
had the 3.5 ecoboost and a couple of the 2.7 ecoboosts over the last 8 years. Great trucks that towed well, but I currently switched to the duramax 3.0 a few months ago, and I can tell you that it gets way better gas mileage and tows great. I was getting 14 to 17 in the 3.5 and 15 to 20 in the crewcab 2.7, and 18 to 22 in the standard cab 2.7.
I currently get 20 towing and up to 35 not towing in the chevy.
20200827_152000.jpg
20190314_180119.jpg
20201026_162228.jpg
20201117_164145.jpg

Reactions: DWC

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
had the 3.5 ecoboost and a couple of the 2.7 ecoboosts over the last 8 years. Great trucks that towed well, but I currently switched to the duramax 3.0 a few months ago, and I can tell you that it gets way better gas mileage and tows great. I was getting 14 to 17 in the 3.5 and 15 to 20 in the crewcab 2.7, and 18 to 22 in the standard cab 2.7.
I currently get 20 towing and up to 35 not towing in the chevy. View attachment 969038 View attachment 969039 View attachment 969041 View attachment 969042

I was looking at these. I test drove one and it was nice. Rated to tow 9,300 right?

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I was looking at these. Tow rating is 9,000 for the 4wd right? I test drove one and it was nice. Rated to tow 9,300 right?

The uplift in initial cost for the diesel does not pencil out unless you plan to keep it a long time or drive many many miles with it.

manxman

Reaction score
Also, the deals on the chevys were better than the fords back in november when I bought. An XLT (non leather) with less options was more than a fully loaded with leather chevy , with the duramax engine. By about $7-8k.

Cobalt232

Reaction score
I've been in the Ford Rouge River plant. Not close to accurate.
2014-05-16 13.26.39.jpg

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Also, the deals on the chevys were better than the fords back in november when I bought. An XLT (non leather) with less options was more than a fully loaded with leather chevy , with the duramax engine. By about $7-8k.
Thats what I've always noticed when shopping as well

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Thats what I've always noticed when shopping as well

Fords are a bit more expensive for sure. The option granularity is much much better though.

For instance - You can’t get the 6.2 in a 2wd Chevy truck.