WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

20 oz. Soda Bottles

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
My wife drinks Coke Zero, she prefers the 20 oz. bottles, she says they have more fizz than the 16.9 oz. bottles and says the cans taste different. I've noticed that they used to be filled just about a 1/4" to 1/2" below lid, now they are 1-1/2" below the lid. I haven't checked the volume to see if they are still 20 oz., but I'll bet they aren't anymore. Maybe I should sue for product mislabeling, just think how much they are saving or ripping off the consumer by shorting all these bottles.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
My wife drinks Coke Zero, she prefers the 20 oz. bottles, she says they have more fizz than the 16.9 oz. bottles and says the cans taste different. I've noticed that they used to be filled just about a 1/4" to 1/2" below lid, now they are 1-1/2" below the lid. I haven't checked the volume to see if they are still 20 oz., but I'll bet they aren't anymore. Maybe I should sue for product mislabeling, just think how much they are saving or ripping off the consumer by shorting all these bottles.
Check the food information guide on the label also. If that volume is incorrect versus what is actually inside.... that could be big $.

Ultra...Good

Reaction score
0z. is a measure of weight, not volume. Just sayin.

But yeah, they are probably ripping you off. With more headspace in the bottle, it will lose the fiz quicker.

DWC

Reaction score
I’d be shocked if they weren’t within legal tolerances. They’d catch it coming across the bottling lines in a heartbeat. If they didn’t CA weights and measures would😬.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Perhaps different bottling locations would cause the slight taste/carbonation differences???
Whatever the case, your wife should be a professional taste tester.😁

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
0z. is a measure of weight, not volume. Just sayin.

But yeah, they are probably ripping you off. With more headspace in the bottle, it will lose the fiz quicker.
I believe OP is refering to fl. oz.'s

Ive never seen a 16.9oz soda bottle. just water..... 😕

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
gatoraide was 4 for $3 this weekend at Ralphs i did a double take cuz that would be pretty cheap. The bottles are now 28oz I guess so that was some good old fashion shrinkflation at work.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
I don't think CC Bottling would leave themselves exposed in knowingly under-filling a product as this due to liability. I've seen these lines run and ever detail of the bottling process is looked at closely with high speed vision/weighing systems and kicks out a bottle that is not within specs. These fill lines run upward of 100,000 bottles and hour and it's a blur to watch from beginning to end.

On another note we have a customer that we were supplying 32oz container to and they paid us to modify the bottom of the tooling so it was shaped like a wine bottle bottom. This in turn brought the capacity down to 31oz. They did change their label to reflect the correct capacity knowing that 99.9% of the consumer purchases would never know. So now for every 32 containers they fill the get one for free and we've sold them millions of containers in this revised format. It's all about marketing...

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
mexican coke in the 16.9 bottles (cane sugar) vs american coke in the 20 (corn syrup) ???

FreeBird236

Reaction score
All the six pak bottles I see lately are the 16.9 oz. I only see the 20 oz. in machines and display cases, but then again, I'm not really looking for them, I drink cans. They changed Coke Zero about a year ago and it's not as good as it used to be, but light years better than Diet Coke, I let them know of my displeasure, but to no avail. 🤣

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Talked to Coca Cola people before, bottles have more fizz than cans due to larger volume and more time necessary to consume, so stands to reason the 20 has more fizz than the 16.9. Every other week or so Safeway/Albersons has the 6 pk of 16.9 oz for a good price, just under $3, and currently on sale until tomorrow.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
The bottle cost more than the stuff in it…they aren’t saving much

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Plastics 101...

Any PET (Polyethylene Terephthalate) bottle used for carbonated liquids has a CO2 barrier molded into it while non carbonated bottles have a UV barrier to prevent light sensitive components of the beverage. Without the CO2 barrier a carbonated beverage would be flat within 24hrs.

Drew

Banned
Reaction score
Biden shrinkflation. Everything is getting smaller for the same price. Shit I remember as a younger me a Big Mac was huge. Now it’s just 4 messy bites. FJB. Shrinking like my portfolio also 🖕🏻

Icky

Reaction score
I don't think CC Bottling would leave themselves exposed in knowingly under-filling a product as this due to liability. I've seen these lines run and ever detail of the bottling process is looked at closely with high speed vision/weighing systems and kicks out a bottle that is not within specs. These fill lines run upward of 100,000 bottles and hour and it's a blur to watch from beginning to end.
This

Hardly Satisfied

Riverside, CA & Havasu
Reaction score
2B14FD1E-CDC8-40EA-865E-32C4E05620C5.jpeg

This was 96 oz before

Reactions: DLC

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
I don't know, it may be cheaper to just pay off a big lawsuit than to fill the bottles up to a full 20 oz. Look how much further they've made each batch go shorting every bottle half to a full ounce.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
I've been watching this tiktok channel that takes products and looks at the weight, then actually weighs them. You'd be surprised how many things dont "add up." Its pretty disappointing that companies can pretty much steal.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Those liquid eggs RD shipped in from China were way underweight too.