WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

200 optimax on a baker?

Nielmcque

Reaction score
I'm looking at a 2010 optimax 200 for my Baker anyone have any input I know they are kinda weight sensitive the optimax only weighs about 500 pounds.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I'm looking at a 2010 optimax 200 for my Baker anyone have any input I know they are kinda weight sensitive the optimax only weighs about 500 pounds.
I think that RST should be able to handle it fairly well. I believe I've seen them rigged with the V8 Rudes before which are in the same weight range. But, you will be sacrificing top end with that weight increase over your 2.4. My buddy has a Cheetah with a 225 Optimax on it. My little 2.4 200 runs away from him like RD runs to the toilet after the China Buffet.

BTW.... Try shooting Uncle Dave on here a PM about your boat. He's friends with Bob who owned your boat for years and did a lot of work to that 2.4 Mariner. If he can't help ya, I'm sure he can put you in touch with Bob.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Nielmcque

Reaction score
Thanks for the info there is a 225 promax I might look into or a 260 2.5 both here in ca. I'm trying to get something with low hours that's reliable.

Bullhead bully

Reaction score
Thanks for the info there is a 225 promax I might look into or a 260 2.5 both here in ca. I'm trying to get something with low hours that's reliable.
A friend of mine has an old baker in Bullhead city. Had it forever. I have the Evinrude V6 on it and it worked well for many many years. He still has it.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
A friend of mine has an old baker in Bullhead city. Had it forever. I have the Evinrude V6 on it and it worked well for many many years. He still has it.
Is it the RST Baker or the smaller 18' Baker? I believe the RST is the former CeeBee mold if I'm remembering what I was told correctly? I believe the 18' modVP was of their own design.

Nielmcque

Reaction score
It's the 20 rst. The bottom may be the same as the avenger but not the top deck all the avengers I have seen seem to have more freeboard then my boat also. From what I've seen the bakers were more similar to the old stokers.

Nielmcque

Reaction score
I hear the optimax lasts for ever. But the 225 promax maybe better suited for the boat and make better speed. Decisions decsions.

Hydroman55

Reaction score
I hear the optimax lasts for ever. But the 225 promax maybe better suited for the boat and make better speed. Decisions decsions.
The 2.5 pro max is much more reliable in the long run....as compared to the 260. Pro max 225 is around 240HP.
All the bottoms mentioned (20 footers) started with the sleek craft aristocrat hull. Even more to the point, Taylor Siletto model molds went on to Baker, when Taylor folded.
Do the 225 Pro Max much more reliable in the long run than the 260. The 225 Pro Max make closers to 240 HP.
All the bottoms mentioned (20 footers) were derived from Taylor Stiletto molds passed around SOCAL when he closed shop. Of course everyone made mods but that was the starting point. More to the point, Taylor splashed the Sleek Craft Aristocrat.
My Taylor pictured the day I finished it in 1977...Years ahead of the curve 6 colors of candy, Kevlar lay up, etc.
77taylor1.jpg
77taylor1.jpg
77taylor3.jpg
77taylor2.jpg

Hydroman55

Reaction score
The 2.5 pro max is much more reliable in the long run....as compared to the 260. Pro max 225 is around 240HP.
All the bottoms mentioned (20 footers) started with the sleek craft aristocrat hull. Even more to the point, Taylor Siletto model molds went on to Baker, when Taylor folded.

Do the 225 Pro Max much more reliable in the long run than the 260. The 225 Pro Max make closers to 240 HP.
All the bottoms mentioned (20 footers) were derived from Taylor Stiletto molds passed around SOCAL when he closed shop. Of course everyone made mods but that was the starting point. More to the point, Taylor splashed the Sleek Craft Aristocrat.
My Taylor pictured the day I finished it in 1977...Years ahead of the curve 6 colors of candy, Kevlar lay up, etc. View attachment 721650 View attachment 721650 View attachment 721651 View attachment 721652
You can see the similarity to the Baker just a few minor deck changes.

Nielmcque

Reaction score
Bitchin boat thanks for the advice I think I'll go for the 225 promax.

Hydroman55

Reaction score
The right call....The 260 are bad ass when all is good but you need to stay on top of them. The Pro Max is the best light weight 2 cycle Merc ever made in my opinion.

DAVEO

Reaction score
I had a 225 promax on my 20.1 stoker and with a 26 eat prop it was a solid 85+ mph. Hammer down and run the cal delta WFO pretty much anywhere...

I miss that boat. ☹️

gqchris

Reaction score
Glad to see your keeping her! Will be a fun ride with the new motor.

WAAZ

Reaction score
I had a 225 promax on my 20.1 stoker and with a 26 eat prop it was a solid 85+ mph. Hammer down and run the cal delta WFO pretty much anywhere...

I miss that boat. ☹️

I have a '97 Promax 225 on my Cougar. The guy I bought it from said not to take it over 6500 rpm. I've seen 7000 a couple times with a small prop (rev'd up way faster than I was used to). What say ye - what should I consider "redline"?

DAVEO

Reaction score
I have a '97 Promax 225 on my Cougar. The guy I bought it from said not to take it over 6500 rpm. I've seen 7000 a couple times with a small prop (rev'd up way faster than I was used to). What say ye - what should I consider "redline"?
Tell you the truth I really couldn’t tell you. It all depends on how the motor was built what octane fuel your running and the premix. I never ran my motor on anything under 91 and never less than 40/1 mix. If I knew I was going out to run hard and long I would run 32/1 mix. I think the set red line is 6850rpm. I would talk to Drew at Boatmasters he would know.

Luv2gofast

Reaction score
BTW.... Try shooting Uncle Dave on here a PM about your boat. He's friends with Bob who owned your boat for years and did a lot of work to that 2.4 Mariner. If he can't help ya, I'm sure he can put you in touch with Bob.

Yep that was my Baker! Very cool that it's still around. I never did anything to the 2.4 Laser except run the $hit out of it. I did do all of the rigging and aluminum work on the boat. I got a 280 to put on it but found the Lavey before that happened and it already had a 280. That RST is a light layup hull with a normal deck. That's why the tunnels flex soo much. Lot's of good times in that boat! This was my son driving after I sold it to him.
Levay5.jpg

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Yep that was my Baker! Very cool that it's still around. I never did anything to the 2.4 Laser except run the $hit out of it. I did do all of the rigging and aluminum work on the boat. I got a 280 to put on it but found the Lavey before that happened and it already had a 280. That RST is a light layup hull with a normal deck. That's why the tunnels flex soo much. Lot's of good times in that boat! This was my son driving after I sold it to him. View attachment 733103
Hey Bob! I couldn't remember your screen name here. You still have the Seabring? Are you guys gonna finally make it back up to Naci sometime this year?

Luv2gofast

Reaction score
Yep still have it. I really miss Naci but it's been so low for a few years we started going to the river and Havasu. I just bought a place in Havasu so probably won't be going to Naci this year. We're going up to the new place Wednesday for the first time!

Do you still have your Lavey?

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Yep still have it. I really miss Naci but it's been so low for a few years we started going to the river and Havasu. I just bought a place in Havasu so probably won't be going to Naci this year. We're going up to the new place Wednesday for the first time!

Do you still have your Lavey?
The sky still blue? Lol! Yup. And still no reverse. Haha! Might actually be moving to Tucson area by the end of summer. Gonna enjoy this full lake while I can. Did Jr ever sell his open bow Lavey? I know my brother was wanting it but just couldn't swing it.

Brooks D'Antonio

Reaction score
IMG_6480.jpg
IMG_6481.jpg

This is my old 18.5 Baker tunnel with a 200 optimax. The boat handled the weight just fine. Miss this boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gqchris

Reaction score
View attachment 738267 View attachment 738268

This is my old 18.5 Baker tunnel with a 200 optimax. The boat handled the weight just fine. Miss this boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brooks! I need to talk to you about setup and props again! How much setback did you have in your Jackplate? I think I'm way too much at 12"!! What props did your boat like?

Thanks bro!