WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2001 7.3 Powerstroke

Halvecto

Reaction score
I am looking at a very clean 2001 F250 with the 7.3. The truck has 110k on it and looks to have been very will taken care of.

What are the warning signs, if any to look for and is this considered high miles?

How many miles are people seeing with the 7.3?

I know I have read many places that the 7.3 has been a much better engine than the newer 6.0 PSD.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
From what I understand the only real issues with the 01s were egr valves sticking open.

The should be in the 100-200 range, depending on if you go after market or OEM.

the truck should go 200k np.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
I'd be more concerned with the transmission.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score

I had a 99 and I had 189k on it when I traded it in. Zero problems and in all reality wish I would have just kept it. the 7.3 is the best Diesel Ford has had to date In my opinion. At 189k the tranny was just starting to slip a little.

The mileage was 13-15. my truck was lifted with 37"tires and I drove it like I stole it. to date the best truck I have ever owned. the 7.3s are noisy though unlike the diesels out today.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Yep. That needs to be looked at for sure. The only other problems are the crank sensor (keep one in your glove box, you can swap it out in 5min), and the valve cover gaskets (the gasket is the harness connector for the glow plugs and injectors).

My 7.3 has 100k or so miles on it. I'll never get rid of this truck.

Halvecto

Reaction score
Yep. That needs to be looked at for sure. The only other problems are the crank sensor (keep one in your glove box, you can swap it out in 5min), and the valve cover gaskets (the gasket is the harness connector for the glow plugs and injectors).

Is yours a 4x4 or 2wd?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Is yours a 4x4 or 2wd?

4x4, crew cab, long bed, xlt lariot (one 50gal tank)

it came loaded with leather interior, which i replaced a couple of years ago (its a 99). i had the guy make it look like the ford harley davidson interior. perforated vinyl inserts. feels like a brand new truck!

TEBBY

Reaction score
I've got a 1999.5 with 180K on it. It runs great still.

Get a John Wood Automotive Transmission, DP Tuner, new Ford ASI Intake, and exhaust. You'll have a very strong, reliable truck at a fraction of the cost of a new one.

Mine's a 4x4, long bed, crew cab with a 4"lift and 35's, and gets to Havasu from the O.C. on a half tank of fuel not towing, cruise set at 80mph.

John Wood says that is common to see 350-375K out of a well taken care of 7.3. He has customers down there in Imperial Valley that have up to 100 of these as farm trucks.

oldschool

Reaction score

I believe there was a recall for the crank sensor, I got one for my 03' 7.3. The only other things I have had an issue with was a leaky valve cover(covered under warranty) and a leaky fuel filter body.
The 7.3 is a great reliable motor. Mine is a crew cab, short bed, 4x4 with 130,000 miles and I don't plan on ever getting rid of it.

tkrrox

Reaction score
I've got a 1999.5 with 180K on it. It runs great still.

Get a John Wood Automotive Transmission, DP Tuner, new Ford ASI Intake, and exhaust. You'll have a very strong, reliable truck at a fraction of the cost of a new one.

Mine's a 4x4, long bed, crew cab with a 4"lift and 35's, and gets to Havasu from the O.C. on a half tank of fuel not towing, cruise set at 80mph.

John Wood says that is common to see 350-375K out of a well taken care of 7.3. He has customers down there in Imperial Valley that have up to 100 of these as farm trucks.

what he said...i used a different trans builder, but all else the same, except i put a wicked wheel to help with surge....definitely best mods, after that they get expensive quick...

Halvecto

Reaction score
Just picked up the truck. I am happy with the purchase, even taking into account the price of fuel thread currently in here, finding an older, clean truck that will still get 12-14 mpg is money good over a newer gasser that may get me 15-17.

Only two things that he mentioned need attention. The front door locks do not come up or down when the switch or fob is used. My F150 had some trouble on the passenger side with this also. Also the door ajar light comes on occasionally on the passenger side. Anybody have any experience with these small issues?

skav

Reaction score
From what I understand the only real issues with the 01s were egr valves sticking open.

The should be in the 100-200 range, depending on if you go after market or OEM.

the truck should go 200k np.

There is no EGR on a 7.3l. You are thinking of a 6.0l.

300k is not unheard of w the 7.3l. 110k is just getting broken in.

I'm selling an 01 cclb w 132k, and it runs great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trash

Reaction score

oldmxdog61u

1979 Tahiti 20ft 454bbc
Reaction score
My last and current truck. 95 ps 7.3 w only 278k miles. Breezes thru emissions and still hauls the mail. All original only biggee's were a new lift pump. Computer and sensors this year. Otherwise I love this thing.
What boat? Towes like nothing else.

Halvecto

Reaction score

Trash

Reaction score
Just remembered a great place to get OEM parts CHEAP. Tousley Ford in Minneapolis will sell the stuff for cost plus 10%. Locks weren't as pricey as I remembered. I've bought a bunch of stuff from them. Highly recommended (and no I'm not affiliated).

http://www.tousleyfordparts.com/

Double check this is the right part.

http://www.tousleyfordparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=214771&chapter=&Sectionids=0,2732&groupid=51895&subgroupid=4450&componentid=0&make=10&model=F-250&year=2001&graphicID=ME99845&callout=18&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0

oldschool

Reaction score
Just had the ball joints replaced on my 03' 7.3 W/140,000 miles. Apparently, that's about the life span for them. Replaced them with a better quality ball joint that can be lubed, no zirk on the originals. It sure helped with the "wondering" front end. But overall the 7.3 are bullet proof, I'll have mine for a LONG time.:thumbsup

Fury25

Reaction score
Only two things that he mentioned need attention. The front door locks do not come up or down when the switch or fob is used. My F150 had some trouble on the passenger side with this also. Also the door ajar light comes on occasionally on the passenger side. Anybody have any experience with these small issues?

If you can get the door lock actuator out just replace it i think they are only $50.00 each. (I've replaced all 4 in my 03, and they tend to all go out around the same time)

The door ajar light is a sticky door ajar switch in the latch (you need to remove this to do the door lock actuator and can be cleened or replaced then)). Or you can spray WD-40 in the latch and open and close the door a few times and the problem should go away (keep in mind when the door closes and the latch is latched this is when it presses on the switch so spray where the back of the latch would be when the door is closed)

WTMFA

Kill Em All
Reaction score
This thread got me thinkin. I've got a friend in Castaic, Jonny who works for Champion Crane. Back in 02 or 03 he was buying a new Ford truck and he could choose between the 7 liter or the 6 liter and he chose the 7.4. I asked his son Bobby why didn't he get the newer one and he said his dad didn't trust the first generation of anything. Talk about a wise choice:thumbsup;):D:D

Magic28

Reaction score
This thread got me thinkin. I've got a friend in Castaic, Jonny who works for Champion Crane. Back in 02 or 03 he was buying a new Ford truck and he could choose between the 7 liter or the 6 liter and he chose the 7.4. I asked his son Bobby why didn't he get the newer one and he said his dad didn't trust the first generation of anything. Talk about a wise choice:thumbsup;):D:D

I have 265K miles on my 2001, 7.3L PSD. Replaced the tranny with a factory rebuilt at approx 140k miles. Great Trucks - I will never sell mine.

Halvecto

Reaction score
While getting my oil changed this week, I had the fuel filter replaced as well. Guy recommended 15k intervals for fuel filter. What mileage do you guys with 7.3 use?

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
I do mine at 10k and only use motocraft factory Ford fuel filters.
Same on the oil filters, motocraft or Fleetguard, nothing else.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
While getting my oil changed this week, I had the fuel filter replaced as well. Guy recommended 15k intervals for fuel filter. What mileage do you guys with 7.3 use?

15 or 20 is fine. diesel today is Super clean. your not gonna have any issues.

pics dude....lets see wacha got! :D

Zaairman

Tig ole bitties
Reaction score

I do every 15K for fuel filter, which is what Ford recommends. I do oil every 5K.

BMABITY

Reaction score
5k for oil filter and 10k for fuel, 150k miles and mine runs like a champ. I have the edge tuner, intake, exhaust, turbo intake wheel upgraded, and 3 turns in on the stock wastegate.

What have you guys had to pay on tranny rebuilds with billet TC? I'm in the north OC area and I'm looking to have mine gone through for piece of mind.

Zaairman

Tig ole bitties
Reaction score
Since you're on the west coast, your best bet is going to be John Woods http://jwtt.com/ If you were anywhere else, I'd suggest having Brian's Truck Shop drop ship you a tranny. They are bulletproof and basically come with a lifetime warranty. :thumbsup

River Cowboy

Reaction score
97 F250 4x4 crew/LB 325,000 mi no chip, org turbo, org trans
15 to 18 mpg hwy
10 to 13 town or towing
best truck I have ever had, change the oil every 5,000 / air and fuel filter every 10,000 / trans oil every 15,000
Vacuum pumps are the only thing that i have fail on a reg basis, lossing power brakes with a full load and big boat is a shorts soiler every time.

fennaz

Reaction score
I have an 02', F-350, 4x4 crew cab, 7.3 PSD--109,000 miles and never a challenge. I ordered it from the factory and it is by far the best truck I have ever owned. I run Rotella synthetic oil (since 36,000 miles) and change it every 10,000 or once a year (which ever comes first). I average 16-18 in town and around 18-20 on Hwy, I'm easy on the pedal. I also have some additional upgrades--Air aid intake, Super Chips tri-tuner on 90 hp and 4" Silverline exhaust (turbo back), 35" tires.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
97 F250 4x4 crew/LB 325,000 mi no chip, org turbo, org trans
15 to 18 mpg hwy
10 to 13 town or towing
best truck I have ever had, change the oil every 5,000 / air and fuel filter every 10,000 / trans oil every 15,000
Vacuum pumps are the only thing that i have fail on a reg basis, lossing power brakes with a full load and big boat is a shorts soiler every time.

Welcome to the madness RC. :thumbsup

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
My 97 had 150K when I sold it and it ran great. I had a chip, down pipe, exhaust, & airbox on it. The tranny was the only problem, but I towed a lot in it and on flat straight highway it is hard to keep the overdrive off and only drive 55mph and towing in overdrive is hard on the tranny. I put a larger transmission air cooler and a larger finned aluminum fluid resivour on it and it helped keep the temp in the tranny down. I changed the oil & filter every 5k and the fuel filter every other oil change. I wish I still had that truck. I love my 05 King Ranch, but the motor concerns me. Here is a pic of my 97.

Attachments

• 97 F-350 (13).jpg
    97 F-350 (13).jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 415

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Here is my '97...some of you have seen this pic before...

15259Sale_shot_5.jpg

I bought it new in mid 1998.
It is a long way from stock, I did the dually conversion and lots of engine goodies,...modded HPOP, PHP Chip, Bean turbo, banks I/C, TYMAr intake and ehaust, hypermax downpipe billet converter, MagHytec Trans pan, etc, etc,, etc.

has right at 94k on the clock.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
I still want to buy your truck. :thumbsup

Thanks. It needs a freakin' bath.
I drove it today, first time in a week or two. i put 6 new Michelins on it before Christmas. Thank God they were prorated.
Anyway today I came out of a tool store and there was a note under the wiper blade.

"Hi, my name is Bob, if you ever decided to sell this truck please call.."

LOL.
I get that about 3-4 times a year. It strokes the hell outta my ego, but if things get bad enough to part with that Ford, it'll be very ugly 'cause i have 2-3 friends who are gonna fight to the death over it...
Speaking of death, my sons both want it too.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Both very nice trucks.

My 97 had 150K when I sold it and it ran great. I had a chip, down pipe, exhaust, & airbox on it. The tranny was the only problem, but I towed a lot in it and on flat straight highway it is hard to keep the overdrive off and only drive 55mph and towing in overdrive is hard on the tranny. I put a larger transmission air cooler and a larger finned aluminum fluid resivour on it and it helped keep the temp in the tranny down. I changed the oil & filter every 5k and the fuel filter every other oil change. I wish I still had that truck. I love my 05 King Ranch, but the motor concerns me. Here is a pic of my 97.

Here is my '97...some of you have seen this pic before...

15259Sale_shot_5.jpg

I bought it new in mid 1998.
It is a long way from stock, I did the dually conversion and lots of engine goodies,...modded HPOP, PHP Chip, Bean turbo, banks I/C, TYMAr intake and ehaust, hypermax downpipe billet converter, MagHytec Trans pan, etc, etc,, etc.

has right at 94k on the clock.

Halvecto

Reaction score
IMAG0960[1].jpg
FYI: For you Ford 7.3 Diesel fans and owners.

I'm eight years into owning this truck (2001 F250 2WD Crew Cab) and still love it. Happened to look down and catch the odometer right at this mileage this week, so I snapped a pic.

Over last few moths I was having loss of power and I was convinced 2nd & 3rd gear was slipping when under acceleration. I did some research and it seemed the transmission wouldn't be struggling in the manner I was having if it was going bad. I was having a regular code come up for Turbo pressure, etc. So I lived with it since I don't expect to tow much distance until later Spring. No other issues to speak. Oil Temp, exhaust temp all fine. Truck cruised fine, but did feel sluggish.

The other day my speedometer began bouncing and I knew it was time to take it in to my trusted mechanic Kenny at Bohan's Automotive and get a few items taken care of. Both speed sensors were bad and the MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor was toast. Lo and behold, the truck really woke up. My MAP sensor was clearly going bad for a few months and was impacting the Turbo boost pressure and thus power. But because I haven't been towing and driving it regularly, the effect wasn't as obvious. Now that the truck is back to running strong, I realize the dramatic difference. If you have a 7.3 with miles or age, consider the MAP, it made a huge difference. It is a simple part and isn't a big project. I also recently put a new OEM starter on and they really crank quick. Original lasted beyond reasonable time. New one fires it up like a brand new engine. Love new tech on old quality.

Plan on keeping it for long time.

Attachments

• IMAG0884[1].jpg
    IMAG0884[1].jpg
    411.2 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Mine's a 96. Lowly 215 hp version.
589K. All stock.
K&N, kitty ran away. Muffler fell off.
1 turbo
1 water pump
1 starter
1 map sensor
Bought it used in 06 ish, with 225K on the clock. Ex oil field truck from Texas.
Best mileage, Barstow to the river, tail wind, 24. Typically right at 20. (Empty, there's no wish-o-meter on the dash, all hand calculated)

I'll drive it til the wheels fall off, then get new wheels.

Best motor ever put in a Ford Truck says International all over it. 444.

Dan'l

Halvecto

Reaction score
Mine's a 96. Lowly 215 hp version.
589K. All stock.
K&N, kitty ran away. Muffler fell off.
1 turbo
1 water pump
1 starter
1 map sensor
Bought it used in 06 ish, with 225K on the clock. Ex oil field truck from Texas.
Best mileage, Barstow to the river, tail wind, 24. Typically right at 20. (Empty, there's no wish-o-meter on the dash, all hand calculated)

I'll drive it til the wheels fall off, then get new wheels.

Best motor ever put in a Ford Truck says International all over it. 444.

Dan'l

This is great.

"Then get new wheels" Haha.

I replaced rt. side glow plugs while it was in there also.

PaPaG

Reaction score
Transmission, Cam sensor, some other small things here and there maybe a turbo down the road.

Your ad here

Reaction score
415k on my 02. Everything is original except o rings on the fuel bowl, glow plug module, and glow plugs done by previous owner that wasn't neccessary. 3rd trans, 2nd alternator, 1 radiator, and a couple oil leaks. Replaced the original serpentine belt at 405k. 3rd set of ball joints but original steering linkage. Very first alignment was done at 402k miles and was damn near perfect.

cpdad93

Reaction score
I have a 97 crew 7.3. 330 k and doesn't use a drop of oil. Been through a few transmissions. 3" downpipe, single shots (it was a cali truck) dana 60 rsk swap, red box, 6637, PHP, and a big trans cooler, and fuel bowl delete (that old pump under the turbo was a pain). Gauges are the key to the 7.3. You need to be ale to see the EGT, Trans temp and fuel pressure.

oldschool

Reaction score
03 7.3 I bought new 16 years ago. 192,000 miles and bone stock. I just recently had a starter replaced, it was dragging a bit which threw a " low battery code". Also had a glow pug control module go bad. I bought a "motorcraft" from Rock Auto that wasn't a Motorcraft or good, once I got that sorted out all codes are gone. I'm thinking of replacing the air intake system, but don't want to spend a bunch of dough or hear the turbo . Anyone do the DIY air filter?

cpdad93

Reaction score
03 7.3 I bought new 16 years ago. 192,000 miles and bone stock. I just recently had a starter replaced, it was dragging a bit which threw a " low battery code". Also had a glow pug control module go bad. I bought a "motorcraft" from Rock Auto that wasn't a Motorcraft or good, once I got that sorted out all codes are gone. I'm thinking of replacing the air intake system, but don't want to spend a bunch of dough or hear the turbo . Anyone do the DIY air filter?[/QUOTE

I think the whistling turbo works like one of those deer whistles. Haven't hit a deer since I opened up my exhaust. Probably going to hit one tomorrow for saying that out loud.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Did it improve your mileage? Louder?
No mileage improvement or increase in sound. It is not a performance intake. It's an upgrade intake. The clamps are better and there are no tabs to break like the stock box. 5" of filter for the air to travel through vs the 1.5" stock filter. No dirt gets pass the AIS intake when clamped properly. To be honest it feels like I lost 10hp when I installed it but no dirt has gotten through this setup in 250K miles. Dirty air is what kills these engines.

Halvecto

Reaction score
03 7.3 I bought new 16 years ago. 192,000 miles and bone stock. I just recently had a starter replaced, it was dragging a bit which threw a " low battery code". Also had a glow pug control module go bad. I bought a "motorcraft" from Rock Auto that wasn't a Motorcraft or good, once I got that sorted out all codes are gone. I'm thinking of replacing the air intake system, but don't want to spend a bunch of dough or hear the turbo . Anyone do the DIY air filter?

I was having the same issues with starter. It finally died. New OEM starter is great. Wish I would have upgraded earlier.

cpdad93

Reaction score
Did it improve your mileage? Louder?

my best mileage creator was cutting the cat off. Got a little bit from the single shot sticks, a little bit from opening up the exhaust, little bit from taller tires. I was only getting about 13 to start with, up to about 19 now. Peculiar enough, both of my diesels get crappier mileage on Oregon fuel...maybe there are just more hills when driving through there or something.