WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2001 Chevy Express Van - Air Bags?

XX14

Reaction score
I need some advice on air bags. I've looked at the archives here and numerous other sites. My van is 5.7 and tows my 2005 Nordic Rage pretty well but once I load up the family it does sag a bit.

I'm thinking Firestone air bags may be the way to go to keep this economical. It's a 2001 Van so I'm not interested in spending crazy money but I want it to be a safe tow platform

So, any recommendations besides Firestone? I know that the airlines should be spearate so there's no air transfer while cornering. I'm ok with buying the compressor if it's not overkill. 90% of the time the van is used to transport the family, there are seven of us.

If the compressor is recommended I've noticed there's a difference in the compressors, Dual v Single? I could use some education here.

Thanks for your recommendations.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Firestones are pretty cheap and whould be fine for your use.
You don't need a pricey cmopressor, the volume of the bag is pretty small so just make sure you get a compressor that will provide the pressure you need...well under 50 psi should be fine. You can just use one of those small portable ones that plug into your cigarette lighter, they'll do the job just fine.

XX14

Reaction score
a couple hundred bucks to have the compressor installed so it functions automatically as needed?

Firestones are pretty cheap and whould be fine for your use.
You don't need a pricey cmopressor, the volume of the bag is pretty small so just make sure you get a compressor that will provide the pressure you need...well under 50 psi should be fine. You can just use one of those small portable ones that plug into your cigarette lighter, they'll do the job just fine.

pronstar

Reaction score
a couple hundred bucks to have the compressor installed so it functions automatically as needed?

If you want to keep it economical, you don't need an automatic compressor plumbed in. Just run schrader valves to the bags, and inflate them manually with any external compressor. Once you inflate them under load, you shouldn't have to muck around with the pressure.

I ran my bags like this for about 6 months without issue.

You just need to determine hoe "economical" you want this project to be.

XX14

Reaction score
Any concerns using Air Lift v Firestone bags?

pronstar

Reaction score
Any concerns using Air Lift v Firestone bags?

Haven't read anything bad about either setup.
I know a lot of guys who run the Firestones and none have had problems.

I don't know anyone who runs Airlift bags.
I run an Airlift Wireless controller but my bags are from a different MFR...custom long-travel Firestones, actually.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I use Timbren Hollow Rubber springs on all our vehicles, and we tow some monster stuff.
Installs in about 5 minutes and they are cheap:
AeonSESed.gif

Save yourself hassle and expense. They only work when they need to, ya still have a good ride when not towing.
Go with the Timbren:
http://www.timbren.com/ses-van-suv.htm

I usually buy from Michigan truck spring.
Best price, free shipping, good service and no sales tax.

http://www.truckspring.com/

Last edited: