WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2001 Hallett 210 running Bravo one w-377 Blue Scorpion \ prop selection advice or opinions wanted

SamMaxco

Reaction score
Hey All

Im Sam from Nor Cal. I found this about a month looking for info on clean low hour Hallett 210's for sale about a month ago!
very informative to listen to all the experiences here
Can anyone tell me What prop they have found works the well or what they found nice or bad about any certain prop on this boat with 377 Blue Scorpion? So far after 10 hours on the boat with this set up, this is what I've found. I do want max top end (who doesn't) and we also use as a family ski boat pulling skiiers up at Pine Flat Lake in Fresno and Heading to Don Pedro in Nor Cal

Im not concerned with fuel as it does great with the SBC all factory stock original, it is a 2001 and it has 244 original hours. It's immaculate and been cared for very well with all service records intact. its currently running a four blade SS stamped inside 48-857030-23 can not find any markings as to manufacturer.
It goes 60 at 4600 rpm with wife and two smaller kids and 3/4 tank fuel- it seems to run perfectly without any hesitation, just seems like that motor should see 51-5200 rpm trimmed and closer to 70? or am I just wishing? it came with another brand new prop4 blade SS mercury marine bravo 1 stamped 48- 831910-22P , I have not tried it yet

any comments or experiences would be nice to hear, my first boat in 20 years and first ever non jet boat. its all new to me

I did see a River Dave you tube video on his Schiada running same motor and drive but he didnt say what prop, looked like he was flying, I'm guessing 70-73 mph? Dave can you tell me the prop you were running in that old video with go pro mounted on back? Thats what sold me on the 377 Blue Scorpion before even driving the Hallett!

thanks again I really appreciate any advice and remember, you all started somewhere :)

Sam

Done-it-again

Reaction score
The prop you are currently running is a Rev 4 23 pitch. It’s a good all around prop, I run the same on my 240 with a 502 and many other hallett owners run the same.

Try the 22 and see what RPM you can turn. I don’t think the 377 can turn a bigger prop than a 23 pitch.

Ricks raft

Reaction score
Try the 22 see how it feels, bottom end, mid range, top end, handling.
Call Hill propellers tell him info on both props. He can tune up your 23 and get some more RPM on top and you'll probably get a better hole shot without losing top end.

I had a 210 with 454 magnum with a good blueprinted all around prop light load would approach 70. 4-6people fuel etc, normally low 60's

Runs2rch

Reaction score
As they said above try the 22. Might be a little small. A 24 B1 will probably be where you end up. 23 Rev 4 is close in pitch to a 26 B1.

SamMaxco

Reaction score
Thanks All- sounds like im on the right track, will take the advice and give both ideas a try,

farmo83

Reaction score
I think that prop is too big. As has been said i would go down in pitch. My dads 210 has a 496 HO with headers and he's turning a bravo 1 24 at 5k. Also i would try a plain bravo 1. The revolution has a lot of blade surface to help generate bow lift which at least in my dads boat( and my uncles 210 as well) never has been a problem. I suspect the boat would run better flatter.

SamMaxco

Reaction score
As they said above try the 22. Might be a little small. A 24 B1 will probably be where you end up. 23 Rev 4 is close in pitch to a 26 B1.
good info, thank you very much! or maybe rev 4 21 p those are my two ideas I want o try soon

SamMaxco

Reaction score
Call Hill propellers tell him info on both props. He can tune up your 23 and get some more RPM on top and you'll probably get a better hole shot without losing top end.

I had a 210 with 454 magnum with a good blueprinted all around prop light load would approach 70. 4-6people fuel etc, normally low 60's
i will call them! thank you

oldschool

Reaction score
Have you tried pushing the throttle all the way down? That boat has to be the King of Kaweah.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
That combo should have no issue turning a B1 24 or Rev 23.

What ratio is the drive? You can look on the sticker on the drive and it will tell you.

I have a 377 small block in my boat and a 1.65 drive. I’m about 5000 RPM @ 60 with the same prop you are running. Wondering if your tach is off, or perhaps you have a 1.5 ratio drive.

77charger

Reaction score

Second hill tell him what you are getting out of current prop then tell him what you want.I had a prop that had no lift chad recomended a lil work here and there.Felt fine with light load but a tad tall,I dinged the prop and when i went back we went over previous talk and mods he cut back on some cupping and its just about perfect on my boat.

UltraLucky

Reaction score
FYI, this gives you a baseline of what you can expect with a stock type of setup.
Hallett210S.jpg

SamMaxco

Reaction score
That combo should have no issue turning a B1 24 or Rev 23.

What ratio is the drive? You can look on the sticker on the drive and it will tell you.

I have a 377 small block in my boat and a 1.65 drive. I’m about 5000 RPM @ 60 with the same prop you are running. Wondering if your tach is off, or perhaps you have a 1.5 ratio drive.
you guys are a huge help. I have some reporting on everything we have talked about.

so first off I ran my Hallett 210 WOT trimmed with 1/2 tank fuel and only myself and my teenage daughter I'm 250 lbs and she 120lbs
trimmed up to where the boat would start porpoising and then trimmed down slightly till stopped but was running nice and dry, WOT with the rev 4 23p
it turned right at 4600 rpm and the faria speedo read 61 mph flat out. motor seemed like it was not even breaking a sweat
but that is all I could get! that was tuesday

Thursday almost identical weather and temp hot 100 degrees
fuel was about the same 1/2 tank. the one difference in the boat was I had three other guys with me, so say another 600lbs, sorry I couldn't avoid that part of the test, but listen. with the extra weight and the Bravo 1 22p, WOT the boat speedo read 55mph exact {61 with rev4 23 } and that was all it went. Here's the thing, RPMs were 4900/5000 and the GPS handheld device my buddy had this time said 61 mph - 60.7 - 60.4 and 61.2

the bottom end was gone- if I hammered it out of the hole it would cavitate or blow out so I had to ease off,
cruising rpm was 2-3 hundred rpm higher to achieve 40 mph on the speedo

so all around, the Rev 4 IMO was way more usable. more even power delivery at lower RPMs and it seemed to turn better and ride over small chop more smoothly. if I turned harder on the gas the bravo 1 22 p prop would cavitate noticeably more than the rev 4.

so, my take away is, if my speedo with the B1 22p said 55, but the GPS said 60 .
should I assume that when the rev 4 23p got me 61 on the speedo I was really doing 65 at lower RPM than the B1 got me to 6o?

if I have to choose its the REV 4 no doubt based on everything, Seems like I need to spend the money on a Rev 4 21 pitch to really be optimal. both rev 4 21 and 23 are same exact diameter, just different pitch. so I'm hoping that the 21Rev 4 would get me to 5000 rpm wot and keep all the features I like about the 23 rev4 and hopefully increase bottom end acceleration and top as well. I'm thinking, and hoping?

am I just wishing or does this make sense or seem familiar?

drive is the 1.51

Report Edit Delete

UltraLucky

Reaction score
going down to a 21p rev4 won’t gain much of anything on the top end if your max rpm is 5000. May help you plane better if that is an issue with the 23p. You can play around with this app to get an idea of what changing pitch will do. another month and you’ll pickup the rpm from the temp change.

SamMaxco

Reaction score
going down to a 21p rev4 won’t gain much of anything on the top end if your max rpm is 5000. May help you plane better if that is an issue with the 23p. You can play around with this app to get an idea of what changing pitch will do. another month and you’ll pickup the rpm from the temp change.
So, I guess what I’m not understanding then is this, I’ve read that 1 pitch is approximately 200 rpm’s. I was thinking from 23 p to 21 p would take me to 5000 or 5100 vs the 23 Rev 4600rpm ans give me more speed - considering they’re same diameter I was hoping that would increase the mph at wot and maybe spin up faster to give a bit more acceleration on bottom?
idk, I thought that motor is supposed to be between 4800 and 5200 rpms that’s what I was hoping the 21 p rev 4 would do. Thus getting Getting closer to max top end and keeping the positives about the rev 4 23. I know I have to read this all and I don’t quite get it. Maybe I don’t get it. I wanted to get 65 at least on the Speedo, seems like the 4600rpm 23p To the 5000/ 5100 rpm Iam thinking I’ll get with a rev 4 21 would do it.
Sorry guys. I give uo 😂

I shoulda waited and just got a 502. But this boat is So clean and so nice I went for the 377 😂 I love the thing. Thanks for all the help!

SS-C

Reaction score
Looks like your flat gettin it in this shot!!
CDD56B3E-DE96-4817-B10F-02870A65D05F (1).png

UltraLucky

Reaction score
The pitch of the prop represents how far it would travel in one revolution in a perfect world. A 23p prop would travel 23” in one revolution vs a 21p would go 21” . So you need to spin higher rpm to get the same speed.
A 23p at 4600 is going to be pretty similar in speed to 21p at 5000. Which is what it sounds like you experienced when you tried the Bravo 1prop. The Bravo measure smaller so was probably closure to a 21p. from the video you posted looks like it airs out pretty good. Might look at getting a good gps speedo.