WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2003 40' Baja Outlaw For Sale

Tank

Reaction score
2003 Baja 40 Outlaw

This very special Custom factory painted triple engine 2003 Baja 40 Outlaw is in excellent condition. Originally the factory poker run boat to showcase the very best Baja had to offer, the Baja 40 Outlaw is a machine that will dominate water while affording a smooth comfortable ride. This model is well regarded as one of the best options Baja ever built. The vessel features triple 525 EFI MerCruiser engines that have been methodically maintained by a very thorough and meticulous owner. The engines have less than 350 hours and are connected to Mercury XR outdrives with ITS transom assemblies. Engines have been leaked down and pressure tested good. Thousands of dollars in upgrades throughout. For design, the hull of the Baja 40 Outlaw features a fully encapsulated interlocking stringer system to produce a very solid structure / ride. This design enables running at high speed in choppy conditions. Bad weather is a breeze for this amazing machine. Not only great handling and fast, she is extremely comfortable. Cockpit features quad electric McLeod drop out bolsters and rear bench seat. The large cabin below features a clean modern and roomy interior with numerous well thought out amenities, to relax out of the sun. Cabin complete with vacu-flush enclosed head with shower, fresh water sink, stove top, mini fridge, lounge seating with removable center table and large vee birth bed for those overnighters. LED lighting through-out allows ample lighting. Lots of storage through out. This sale is a complete, turn-key vessel package that includes everything from Coast Guard mandatory safety items, full cover, and cockpit cover to a custom fit steel Heritage 3-axel trailer. Full disclosure – boat could use a new clear coat over paint, trailer will need brake work and some rust on trailer starting to show, center drive has a small water leak through shaft seal (price adjusted to address these concerns). HydroHoist lift system is available separately. Asking $99,900. Surveys welcomed. Call for appointment of showing.

805-890-1526

OL1.jpg
OL3.jpg
ol6.jpg
ol7.jpg
ol8.jpg
ol9.jpg
ol10.jpg
ol11.jpg
ol13.jpg
ol14.jpg
ol15.jpg
ol16.jpg
ol17.jpg
ol18.jpg
ol19.jpg

Tank

Reaction score
Thanks guys. It's a buddys boat. He's a mature gentleman, going through some health stuff and not able to use the boat as much as he'd like to, so it's going up for sale. It is priced well. Comparable 40's are going for 140+ But it is a lot of boat and would take someone with the desire (and checkbook) for such.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Saweet ride Tankster. Love the seating arrangement. I always heard Bajas were kinda lower end build quality reputationally. Thus less $.... Given your expertise, what was the draw in the 3rd motors? I've seen a 38 Donzi w/ triple i/os and Rodmans Fountain [Sexual Chocolate lol] had 3 as well here in Newport. Curious about benefits of the 3rd heavy cast iron block to drag.

Reactions: t&y

Tank

Reaction score
Saweet ride Tankster. Love the seating arrangement. I always heard Bajas were kinda lower end build quality reputationally. Thus less $.... Given your expertise, what was the draw in the 3rd motors? I've seen a 38 Donzi w/ triple i/os and Rodmans Fountain [Sexual Chocolate lol] had 3 as well here in Newport. Curious about benefits of the 3rd heavy cast iron block to drag.
They're semi custom "production" boats more along the lines of wellcrafts Scarab, Donzi, Formula, etc. Unlike true custom companies like Cigarette, Outerlimits, MTI, DCB, Mystic, Statement, etc. The semi custom companies had a set platform and you could custom order smaller options. Where a true custom build you can change nearly whatever you'd like. With less custom orders available, Baja (who was owned by Brunswick who also owns a litany of other brands along with Mercury Marine) could pump out more boats. For many years they pumped out more performance boats a year than most other companies combined. So, there's a LOT of Bajas floating around, especially in the midwest since they were built for years in Ohio. With a larger production, comes some attention to detail and/or quality control issues that rear their heads at times. Of course, many companies, even custom companies can have this problem but because so many Baja's are / were built the issues would be more noticeable.

With that said, I owned a Baja Outlaw for 7 years. Built it new from the factory and beat the shit out of it in the ocean the whole time I owned it. Little things like the bolsters coming lose because they didn't through bolt them down or the wood under the engine hatch rotting because of drainage were a common problem. However, overall that boat was amazing and held together very well. Never had a hull failure or other major issue with it. As most people that have actually owned a Baja will attest, they are GREAT boats! A lot of bang for the buck. This 40 was just under 200k new. Try getting a true custom built 40' boat for 200k.

So, point being, Baja's get a bad wrap from those that most likely don't know what they're talking about. I've been hard pressed to find anyone that has actually owend a baja to say they're shitty boats. They're dependable, predictable, comfortable, stylish and ride very well. How can you complain about that?

Triple power is really a debatable area. There's benifits and drawbacks to trips compared to twins. Fuel consumption and maintenance being the negative. Trips in this boat provide about 6 mph top speed over twins. Also, if a motor craps out, you can run 60+ on the two you have left. So, it's a give / take, like most things.

Here is a 40 Baja Outlaw test report that they actually used this exact boat.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
They're semi custom "production" boats more along the lines of wellcrafts Scarab, Donzi, Formula, etc. Unlike true custom companies like Cigarette, Outerlimits, MTI, DCB, Mystic, Statement, etc. The semi custom companies had a set platform and you could custom order smaller options. Where a true custom build you can change nearly whatever you'd like. With less custom orders available, Baja (who was owned by Brunswick who also owns a litany of other brands along with Mercury Marine) could pump out more boats. For many years they pumped out more performance boats a year than most other companies combined. So, there's a LOT of Bajas floating around, especially in the midwest since they were built for years in Ohio. With a larger production, comes some attention to detail and/or quality control issues that rear their heads at times. Of course, many companies, even custom companies can have this problem but because so many Baja's are / were built the issues would be more noticeable.

With that said, I owned a Baja Outlaw for 7 years. Built it new from the factory and beat the shit out of it in the ocean the whole time I owned it. Little things like the bolsters coming lose because they didn't through bolt them down or the wood under the engine hatch rotting because of drainage were a common problem. However, overall that boat was amazing and held together very well. Never had a hull failure or other major issue with it. As most people that have actually owned a Baja will attest, they are GREAT boats! A lot of bang for the buck. This 40 was just under 200k new. Try getting a true custom built 40' boat for 200k.

So, point being, Baja's get a bad wrap from those that most likely don't know what they're talking about. I've been hard pressed to find anyone that has actually owend a baja to say they're shitty boats. They're dependable, predictable, comfortable, stylish and ride very well. How can you complain about that?

Triple power is really a debatable area. There's benifits and drawbacks to trips compared to twins. Fuel consumption and maintenance being the negative. Trips in this boat provide about 6 mph top speed over twins. Also, if a motor craps out, you can run 60+ on the two you have left. So, it's a give / take, like most things.

Thanks for all that info.... used to love those Boat Test vids from early 2000s. They always did a great job. That 40' is a beast. Agree that asking price is nice.... triples aren't of interest to me at this stage of my boating life. I might have reached the point where I next go into sport cruiser mode.... slowing down a bit and spine issues are a consideration... I bet you can relate.

Tank

Reaction score
Thanks for all that info.... used to love those Boat Test vids from early 2000s. They always did a great job. That 40' is a beast. Agree that asking price is nice.... triples aren't of interest to me at this stage of my boating life. I might have reached the point where I next go into sport cruiser mode.... slowing down a bit and spine issues are a consideration... I bet you can relate.
Funny, icing my back and just popped two advils as I type.

pixrthis

Reaction score
I boated in a buddy’s 30 Baja with HP 500’s in it and it did everything well. It was a straight bottom that handled big water, turned well, and went pretty good for being wide.
Based on Baja’s reputation I was surprised that it was rigged with full hydraulic steering and gauge package that many higher end builders were using at the time.
I would never consider it for a race boat but would definitely consider it for a pleasure boat if the price was right.
We had so much fun on it boating to Catalina, Santa Barbara, and Santa Cruz Island, usually with a couple adults and a few kids. The boat was run hard and held up well.

LuckyStrike

Just Plain Crazy
Reaction score

True Statement Ive owed 5 Bajas In My life

Bencini231

Reaction score
I never had one issue with any of the Baja's I owned in the past. They are very good powerboats to learn in before you step up to high performance level boats. That's a very good price on this 40 Outlaw. Don't take this as I'm implying it, but a person could part that boat out and make way more than what he's asking for it. Not to often you see a well priced boat now days.

Tank

Reaction score
I never had one issue with any of the Baja's I owned in the past. They are very good powerboats to learn in before you step up to high performance level boats. That's a very good price on this 40 Outlaw. Don't take this as I'm implying it, but a person could part that boat out and make way more than what he's asking for it. Not to often you see a well priced boat now days.
That's funny, you're not the only one to tell me this and I know its true. The motor / drive package is worth asking price alone.

Like I said though, owner is having some health problems and doesn't have the ability to mess with that. He's upfront about any issues (as listed in the ad) and selling it for a reasonable / fare price.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
That's funny, you're not the only one to tell me this and I know its true. The motor / drive package is worth asking price alone.

Like I said though, owner is having some health problems and doesn't have the ability to mess with that. He's upfront about any issues (as listed in the ad) and selling it for a reasonable / fare price.
So Tank.... is your friend getting much action as yet?

Tank

Reaction score
So Tank.... is your friend getting much action as yet?
Tire kickers. I presume it’ll take a while to sell. Target audience of true buyers is pretty small.

Be a good boat for you! Crush it out to Catalina while drinking a martini.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Tire kickers. I presume it’ll take a while to sell. Target audience of true buyers is pretty small.

Be a good boat for you! Crush it out to Catalina while drinking a martini.
I was out at Catalina ski race start yesterday early.... I mentioned that boat to a friend who I may partner on next ride with. I know that Oxnard ride of your pals would fit my needs however he's a bit of a fancy pants married type ... I'm just an old single dude with young gals so we're at stage where we're both subltly manipulating each other in directions we want to go on vessel choice. Lifestyle issue mostly... I may need to grow up.