WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2006 Crown Vic - Ex Police Car

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
My grandson that lives in Dewey, AZ has the above car. The car starts and runs. However, the radio, gas gauge and tail lights dont work and he cannot get it to shift out of park. Any ideas?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I’d guess it’s something to do with the break.. most won’t shift out of park without your foot on the break?

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
First stop is to check all the fuses.....you have power missing to multiple things, the brake / shift interlock may be on the same circuit as one of the other items that are not working.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
He said he checked all the fuses. Will have him check the brake switch.

timstoy

Reaction score
Brake light switch or wires to the switch are bad. Common problem on the Crown Victoria especially with officers with large feet! In a pinch you can turn key on, engine off and shift into neutral and then start the vehicle and shift to drive or reverse. If you place the vehicle back in park you will have to repeat the process.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Brake light switch or wires to the switch are bad. Common problem on the Crown Victoria especially with officers with large feet! In a pinch you can turn key on, engine off and shift into neutral and then start the vehicle and shift to drive or reverse. If you place the vehicle back in park you will have to repeat the process.
He has done this to get it home. Told him to check the brake light switch.

timstoy

Reaction score
He has done this to get it home. Told him to check the brake light switch.
Ford and Dorman use to sell replacement pig tails for the brake light switch. The wires break off at the switch. Easy to check the wires just look up on the brake pedal. You can probe the brake light wires easily to check the brake light switch. I always secured the wires in loom and secured the wires to the brake pedal away from damage. The other wiring problems you will have to diagnose. Some departments just cut wires and remove the PD equipment which can lead to all kinds of problems .

callbob

semi flaccid member
Reaction score
Fix the cigarette lighter.....

Not as stupid as it sounds. Was having trouble with and 2006 Ford after washing the engine. Wouldn’t start or run. Hooked up the old scanner and nothing showed like it wasn’t getting juice from the port. After a lot of google search, found the old port is fused to cig lighter. Replaced fuse and voila!. Found the problem and replaced throttle body, ran like a champ.

boatpi

Reaction score
Go find a 2010 or 2011, last years you can check the idle hours on the dash make sure it doesn’t have an enormous amount of idle hours
former unmarked detective cars are always best.
Ford what were the Michigan State police and LAPD for over 20 years to make this the most durable car probably ever built in America. I have driven them on a Road track and lifted the front front wheel off the ground. They’re absolutely incredible for a 4 door car.

It will be a 300,000 mile car or more.

Blue Oval

Reaction score
Turn the key to the first detent. Put in neutral, then start it up. Definitely an electrical issue. Plenty of YouTube videos to follow.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Go find a 2010 or 2011, last years you can check the idle hours on the dash make sure it doesn’t have an enormous amount of idle hours
former unmarked detective cars are always best.
Ford what were the Michigan State police and LAPD for over 20 years to make this the most durable car probably ever built in America. I have driven them on a Road track and lifted the front front wheel off the ground. They’re absolutely incredible for a 4 door car.

It will be a 300,000 mile car or more.
Truth. My brother pushes wrench at police garage. He says hit a curb with a Dodge and it’s totaled. CV, jump a meridian, hop the curb, take out a light pole, he can have it back in service next day. Lol

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
If the dash isn't getting an ignition 12v. With the year and original use, it could be the switch isn't getting enough travel, or the contact is worn. Have to power probe to check would be my best guess.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Remember what it was in it's previous life......a tool. it was USED and ABUSED. i have seen many be put in park still going 15mph LOL. Surprised it still runs at all
Reminds me of one from way back, 5.0 AOD model. It would shift 1,2,3...neutral 🤣
Yoke had been hammered into the rear of the trans hard enough to "readjust" the bushings and clutches. Only thing I could figure was hard reverse into a curb. Only one I'd ever seen like it.