WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2006 Orion

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score
I've been following this thread since you've posted and I think I can speak for everyone who has followed along - posts like these are why I am on this site. Please, dont stop posting and definitely post once those headers are on.

The wiring under my dash isn't as bad as yours was, but isn't much better. I'd say a blind 10 year old did it! I am under there all the time (ice chest is right below) and constantly tell myself that I would LOVE to tackle that job. But I feel like wiring in boats is way different than wiring in cars.

The biggest issue I have is the same as you. Everything uses one small power and ground. I turn the interior LED accent lights on - no issues. I turn the Nav lights on, the LED's get real dim. The gauge, front nav lights and rear pole light are all on the same switch. It draws so much power that everything else goes dim and the volt meter drops. Its a real pain.

HavaToon

Reaction score
Great work! I’ve been following along since the beginning. Curious how much of a sound quality/loudness the 7.7” over the 6.5” was.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I've been following this thread since you've posted and I think I can speak for everyone who has followed along - posts like these are why I am on this site. Please, dont stop posting and definitely post once those headers are on.

The wiring under my dash isn't as bad as yours was, but isn't much better. I'd say a blind 10 year old did it! I am under there all the time (ice chest is right below) and constantly tell myself that I would LOVE to tackle that job. But I feel like wiring in boats is way different than wiring in cars.

The biggest issue I have is the same as you. Everything uses one small power and ground. I turn the interior LED accent lights on - no issues. I turn the Nav lights on, the LED's get real dim. The gauge, front nav lights and rear pole light are all on the same switch. It draws so much power that everything else goes dim and the volt meter drops. Its a real pain.

Yea that’s the exact thing. Kinda funny imho to hear that it was ol Ultra Rusty that wired this boat actually really scary for say.
The hardest part was the fact of looking looking and not doing. Once i stuck the flush cuts under the dash it became fun. As i said this is my first boat wiring job and glad it was my own as i know all wires etc so if ever any issue it’s easy. But idk if most use a big fuse block or what but for 65$ that thing is awesome being 12+ and 12- circuits. If i get down on it again ever only thing I’d change is a direct 8g+ and 8g- from the block and perko as my ground is just two 14g wires but i used the og runs. Ground is always actually more important than the power when it comes to voltage drop.

Last edited:

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Great work! I’ve been following along since the beginning. Curious how much of a sound quality/loudness the 7.7” over the 6.5” was.

OMG........
shall i say more?

Boat had some high end 6.5’s two sets were components in main section of boat, then one set of coax in bow. Also had 1 12” i added a second cause i had one laying around sounded definitely good enough but....

So i started by buying up all the stuff i wanted with the plan to add subs and a second amp later, two sets of M7.7 components a set of M8.8 coax and an M600/6 then went at it. I’ll be honest it’s twice as loud as before and the same if not a little better bass and no actual subs in the boat.
One thing tho i have no actual comparison but read all over and heard from more was that the mx is not in the same realm as the M with the JL’s si i did go with the higher line and well regardless it was worth the little extra $$$ in my opinion as it rips ass!!

HavaToon

Reaction score
OMG........
shall i say more?

Boat had some high end 6.5’s two sets were components in main section of boat, then one set of coax in bow. Also had 1 12” i added a second cause i had one laying around sounded definitely good enough but....

So i started by buying up all the stuff i wanted with the plan to add subs and a second amp later, two sets of M7.7 components a set of M8.8 coax and an M600/6 then went at it. I’ll be honest it’s twice as loud as before and the same if not a little better bass and no actual subs in the boat.
One thing tho i have no actual comparison but read all over and heard from more was that the mx is not in the same realm as the M with the JL’s si i did go with the higher line and well regardless it was worth the little extra $$$ in my opinion as it rips ass!!

Thanks! I think I’ll go bigger on all my 6.5’s were I can.

Singleton

Reaction score
Yea that’s the exact thing. Kinda funny imho to head that it was ol Ultra Rusty that wired this boat really actually scary for say.
The hardest part was the fact of looking looking and not doing. Once i stuck the flush cuts under the dash it became fun. As i said this is my first boat wiring job and glad it was my own as i know all wires etc so if ever any issue it’s easy. But idk if most use a big fuse block or what but for 65$ that thing is awesome being 12+ and 12- circuits. If i get down on it again ever only thing I’d change is a direct 8g+ and 8g- from the block and perko as my ground is just two 14g wires but i used the og runs. Ground is always actually more important than the power when it comes to voltage drop.

You keep blaming Rusty for the wiring, but Orion subbed out the wiring and paid for a certain level. Rusty was only doing what he was told to by Orion and got paid to do. I know for a fact Rusty wires boats to the quality you would expect (he has done some work on mine). Don’t blame the sub for the work when the mfg set the standards they want.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
You keep blaming Rusty for the wiring, but Orion subbed out the wiring and paid for a certain level. Rusty was only doing what he was told to by Orion and got paid to do. I know for a fact Rusty wires boats to the quality you would expect (he has done some work on mine). Don’t blame the sub for the work when the mfg set the standards they want.

I didn’t have a clue who did it, until told here a few days ago in this thread.
But here’s my personal opinion your work will always always follow you, so if your being sub’d out for a job you place your bid for the work. If the shop won’t pay you for your work and skill let them find someone else, don’t ever in life alter your own name by lowering your standards to meet the price of a job just pass on the work.
I have no direct issue or even know the guy. But based on what I’ve read here as well as on the Facebook, as well my basic point just made above, i find it complicated to see where people could desire to have him do work today. And if any of you are business owners and disagree about altering your skill to meet the price point let me know so i can be sure not to buy from you.

And I’m not saying any of this to be a dick but in response to what you said and making a point of my personal feelings only. No hard feelings

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Thanks! I think I’ll go bigger on all my 6.5’s were I can.

To keep the match I’m sure that JL’s match 6.5’s where you cannot fit will sound great as well. But the whole bigger is better may actually fit with these speakers lol.
I love the fact that i know that simply doing the stereo i also have the boat a slight diet without compromising the sound quality. My guess would be i lost 75-125#

HavaToon

Reaction score
To keep the match I’m sure that JL’s match 6.5’s where you cannot fit will sound great as well. But the whole bigger is better may actually fit with these speakers lol.
I love the fact that i know that simply doing the stereo i also have the boat a slight diet without compromising the sound quality. My guess would be i lost 75-125#

What did you use to cut the holes larger? Mine are all mounted in fiberglass.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
What did you use to cut the holes larger? Mine are all mounted in fiberglass.

Pedro at Saleen had to actually make the whole pod larger to fit the 7.7’s at a cost that well ..... at least they turned out amazing!
For the convert from 6.5-8.8 i used a jigsaw and an airsaw wish i would have just went and bought the air saw to start so I’d say if you have an air compressor go to HF and get an airsaw. There’s pics of the process further back in the thread too.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Just one question, what does the white wire go to?

wet hull

Reaction score
When I posted earlier in the thread about Rusty doing the rigging and wiring, it was more of a history lesson then a attack. I was there during the rigging of my boat at his shop. Some parts were great, others were not. But as 02Howard26 stated, you should always do your best and never compromise your reputation. Maybe he was just really bad at wiring 11 years ago and that was his best at the time. Is he still bad? You are saying he is up to par now. That's great, everyone is allowed to improve their craft. In 06' when boats where flying off the shelf, I think these details where over looked do to meeting time commitments. I also believe this was when the big boys like DCB and Eliminator where competing against each other for most zip ties in a boat.:D It would only make sense other riggers would adapt to this as their new standard as well. I hope Rusty the best, I really like the 28 deck and priced it out last year.

Singleton

Reaction score
When I posted earlier in the thread about Rusty doing the rigging and wiring, it was more of a history lesson then a attack. I was there during the rigging of my boat at his shop. Some parts were great, others were not. But as 02Howard26 stated, you should always do your best and never compromise your reputation. Maybe he was just really bad at wiring 11 years ago and that was his best at the time. Is he still bad? You are saying he is up to par now. That's great, everyone is allowed to improve their craft. In 06' when boats where flying off the shelf, I think these details where over looked do to meeting time commitments. I also believe this was when the big boys like DCB and Eliminator where competing against each other for most zip ties in a boat.:D It would only make sense other riggers would adapt to this as their new standard as well. I hope Rusty the best, I really like the 28 deck and priced it out last year.

I get that, but at the end of the day, the customer (Orion) should of held themselves to a higher level of quality from their rigging vendor. When Orion accepted it, IMO it goes on them. If they wanted a certain level, they never should of accepted the boat in that condition. I agree if Rusty’s shop did rig it, he should of held myself to a higher standards, but non of us know what standards Orion set to keep the price point where they wanted.

Hell, I made Ultra redo multiple items on my boat because of quality. Rigging for Ultra was done by Mike H’s shop and Mike and I went at it multiple times bc he did not do what I requested. Very thankful JW would step in and work Mike over to make it right.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
All wrapped up, goes to Saleen Tuesday to have him fill the two holes in the dash, then I’ll put seats back in, put some sweats under my pants and go take for a little cruise lol.
A35BD690-C9E4-4EDC-9CDD-33EB9DFBA177.jpeg

Last edited:

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the power stern lights? Seems some how some way i screwed up that one while wiring it. The light comes on but doesn’t want to go up, curious if it’s a three wire or?? As i cannot find a wiring diagram etc online anywhere. Thank you for any help.

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
How is your remote bezel coming?

When are you expecting your boat back?

Looking forward to seeing the results.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
How is your remote bezel coming?

When are you expecting your boat back?

Looking forward to seeing the results.

Boat should be back Tuesday or Wednesday depending on my schedule, last i heard was last week they were tinkering around with material thickness and diameter before chop and lathe. I expect another week or two before seeing a first one

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
4244FC1D-6EA0-4BBD-BA63-AEE7D129DB9E.jpeg
3F9A1DF9-F884-41CD-9366-3AFCABFC7536.jpeg

Lighting really sucks and he’s not quite done. Pedro is quite the perfectionist that after all was said and done the glass or ??? shrunk causing a little indentation on left side so he’s gotta redo a section of it.
@Outdrive1 was the one to toss at me to ditch the two small gauges when i was asking about what i should do on sizes, glad i took his idea and ran and ordered the gauges as had i researched what the filling of holes would cost me, yea i never would have done this.

End result i don’t think i could be happier with the ultimate choice and how it’s turning out.

blowncommission

Reaction score
Looks really good, always impressed at how well he can match/blend colors

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
It’s these little things that keep my mind pondering, thinking to remove the three pieces of trim that are circled and laying them out and cutting to be a single piece of wood then having reupholstered, I’d be able to remount with 6-7 screws vs 9 as well i really think it’d be more appealing to my eyes.
So question is it worth the work and $ I’ll spend (guessing 20$ in wood and 50-75$ in upholstery work. What says the brain trust here

61481EFD-ED18-4423-80BF-83B4E8619AED.jpeg

Singleton

Reaction score
It’s these little things that keep my mind pondering, thinking to remove the three pieces of trim that are circled and laying them out and cutting to be a single piece of wood then having reupholstered, I’d be able to remount with 6-7 screws vs 9 as well i really think it’d be more appealing to my eyes.
So question is it worth the work and $ I’ll spend (guessing 20$ in wood and 50-75$ in upholstery work. What says the brain trust here

View attachment 612743
Save some projects for next off season. I do a couple things each year. Keeps me entertained and keeps me from new to me boat shopping

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Wanting to knock out as much as i can lol. Next year goal is one thing, full redo On my trailer to look like this one, another forum member here forget who’s, and then paint silver.

The trailer is in great shape but the boat is an offwhite that’s only noticeable on the trailer as it’s such a bright White White.

C2E0C740-412D-4D2D-B3A6-EF395552998D.jpeg

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
So i may be getting cocky with my lack of skill but learning the skill, under the billet plate was some ugly ugly scratches from the billet cover that was on the original deck as well years of abuse. I had to pull the deck to plug in a usb/charger cable i ran while boat was apart so decided screw it, bust out the 2000g and clean it up. There was also a small bubble from the original gel so had to spend a little extra time there. But the pic doesn’t compare to how it really looks.

C357FE45-E55A-476E-A65E-0581C63A6ED9.jpeg

Now i want to pull the key switch remote and 12v plug and see about getting rid of all the little gauges and scratches on that side....
8F439657-A62C-4830-A1B6-790AD3430771.jpeg

Shit hope i don’t end up doing whole boat next o_O

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Well after almost 5 hours of first trying to chase the wire that was not hooked up some how for my automatic stern light i finally said F-it ran a whole new wire to the helm and wah lah it now works so the wiring is at 100% only guess is somehow i cut that wire out of the og harness and missed it running all the new stuff, only cost time and about 80 zip ties.

Then decided screw it, who needs to spend 4,000$ for IMCO steering, last time i stopped at Nordic and was talking to Mike in parts i saw the sweet billet caps he said they no longer used wheels that utilize that style cap so i got IMCO steering for free :p:p:p
5F674534-8190-4E53-BF02-0690FAAB6A84.jpeg

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Being i had the port side all torn apart still from wiring last night decided screw it and reinstalled the hour meter, had decided i just wasn’t going to put it back in but said screw it and mounted under the hatch looks clean simple and factory type location now vs in the dash
2E886F02-E44B-49AD-9D84-2F490DE4A76A.jpeg

All vacuum’d clean and ready for seats :) hasn’t had seats in it for three months but now I’d say helm and seating area is 100% and ready to go as wiring is finally 100% also
B0F00355-77FD-417A-835F-4670204B30A9.jpeg

Sat the seats in the boat, not putting in exact same spot so I’ll get all new ss screws Friday after work, moved them away from the pods a little as well forward just a tiny bit as well made sure they were actually equal distance from the dash unlike before. Before they sat against the side pods and pushed on the speakers so won’t have to deal with the rub marks no more after having Pedro reshoot them after making the new speaker holes.
AF8B76C3-50BF-436A-B478-412A8321B7E4.jpeg

Kinda debating to pull canopies back off and strip the black paint off the bottoms and do in silver but not sure if it’d clash or contrast.

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score
How much space do you have between the bimini and the motor? Can you post a pic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
6730E5D3-7B03-424C-8152-2953E4777B2F.jpeg

Just put the K&N on and have about 1/4” to clear.

Boat sadly is back in Havasu with Pedro @ Saleen as i made a major dumb ass move this morning and tried to bolt the boat to the trailer while putting the seats back in the boat. Luckily Pedro is awesome and said “get it here ASAP I’ll get you fixed up” talk about an amazing guy and service, i just may have a mancrush on him!

Icky

Reaction score
No pictures of the screws coming through the bottom of the hull?
Ouch that's gotta suck
View attachment 613939

Just put the K&N on and have about 1/4” to clear.

Boat sadly is back in Havasu with Pedro @ Saleen as i made a major dumb ass move this morning and tried to bolt the boat to the trailer while putting the seats back in the boat. Luckily Pedro is awesome and said “get it here ASAP I’ll get you fixed up” talk about an amazing guy and service, i just may have a mancrush on him!

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
Awe man! That sucks!!!! But the boat is looking GREAT!!

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Just talked to Boostpower my pcm will ship tomorrow and best yet, better than the tuning, he’s tossing me a shirt :D

And hopefully have the bottom repaired by end of the week.

The only downside was i got pissed off by drilling those holes that i brought my headers with me to Havasu asked Pedro “who would you have bolts these up for me?” So the headers will be on when i get it back so i won’t be doing my before and after video, but will do something with Allen who has same boat same motor maybe get his started then mine right after to compare stock to MWI Torque Flow

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Not quite buttoned up but stopped by to see what the hold up was, (it’ll be done by Friday, they just made it sound like last Friday not this Friday :mad:) but I’m at least happy with the looks over all with these headers
5DD2DE21-5DE3-426D-BD8F-A9956DCB8F34.jpeg

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score
They look good. Can’t wait to hear them. Who did the install?

Tahoe540

Reaction score
What brand of exhaust are those headers? They look really good.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
They are the Dana Marine/MIW Flow Torque headers talked and read a lot and these seemed to be best bang for the buck on the 496
Not as much power as the sport tubes but more than the E-Tops and cheaper than either.

Last edited:

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
They look good. Can’t wait to hear them. Who did the install?

Lakeland Marine did the install, i will most likely make a thread about how i feel about them soon. Letting myself fully cool off first, all i can say right now as well that i can guarantee they will never see another penny from me, i will stop and pick up the penny if it falls from my pocket.

Last edited:

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
D3114647-7E10-4186-B399-6318032D8F28.jpeg
Boat is finally in good hands as well almost done and then off to E-Ticket for S pipes

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score
Lakeland Marine did the install, i will most likely make a thread about how i feel about them soon. Letting myself fully cool off first, all i can say right now as well that i can guarantee they will never see another penny from me, i will stop and pick up the penny if it falls from my pocket.

I remember someone else mentioning a bad experience with them in the new shop thread [emoji17][emoji17] sorry to hear that

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score

That sucks.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
6C400E73-B021-467B-BB8C-977CB7E88ED1.jpeg

Pile of goodies waiting to get put on as soon as i get it back!!
63A23DE8-5496-4A95-9118-18FD51B9ECE7.jpeg

My pos parked next to my dream boat

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score
You cooled off yet lol? Inquiring minds want to know about your experience.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
A063746F-3985-4423-B162-F3E1F94BF53A.jpeg
F177CBAE-908A-497A-A2DE-EC1B78A6215B.jpeg
Well Dana Flow Torque headers exhaling through a set of custom built by E-Ticket stainless S pipes, polished aluminum power steering reservoir, chrome ole filter cover, and my desired Teague flame arrestor maybe one day I’ll be done lol

Icky

Reaction score
I think you should buy that raylar motor so I can take this off your hands :D

Looks good