WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2006 Ultra Shadow (or any Ultra)

4czn10

Reaction score
I am in a battle with a detailer I hired to ceramic coat my boat. The whole reason I hired a “professional “ was to make the boat look new again. When I took it to him, it was a 9. He said he could make it look “like a new boat again”. He had many reviews almost all 5’s, so I hired him. Fast forward 3 weeks. I went to pick it up yesterday, and the sides of the boat looked very nice, but my main concern was the top side, where I had a little oxidation. Not only did he not work the oxidation out, the entire top had less shine, had areas that looked like the coating was just splashed on and kind of worked in. I asked him what happened and his response was...wait for it...since the boat is PAINTED instead of gel coat, he didn’t want to to color sand it. He said all high end boats are painted and even went as far as showing me a Donzi and Baja to prove his point.

I am pretty sure Ultras and most other west coast boats are gel coated, as I have owned a few different ones. Can someone please verify for me the Ultras are indeed gel coated?
By the way we are in South Carolina. (NorCal transplant).
One more question, is $2600 a fair price. Interior was another $450 for what he called leather ceramic coating...

Thanks!

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Yes gel coated. Picture of the boat can confirm this. My ultra is gel coated

sirbob

Reaction score
As an owner of a couple of Ultras - mine are gel coated.

I recall John doing the big boat in a wrap but I don’t recall seeing any painted. However it’s possible it was painted after being built - possibly an east coast repair??

The price paid was very high for ceramic coating - I just had mine done for 1700 - I did not do the interior.

Last edited:

4czn10

Reaction score
Yes gel coated. Picture of the boat can confirm this. My ultra is gel coated
Thanks. Here is the pic.
C170E95E-80D9-493A-BF2C-F8305D411F48.jpeg

4czn10

Reaction score
As an owner of a couple of Ultras - mine are gel coated.

I recall John doing the big boat in a wrap but I don’t recall seeing any painted. However it’s possible it was painted after being built - possibly an east coast repair??

The price paid was very high - I just had mine done for 1700 - I did not do the interior.
Thanks Sirbob. I bought it in SoCal. No east coast repair. This was the LA boat show boat IN 2006

Singleton

Reaction score
I have 2 quotes sitting on my desk - both are right around 2k

Don’t know of any Ultra‘s that were painted. Post pic and I can get confirmation from JW

Dalton

Reaction score
A lot of east coast boats are painted, that’s probably what he’s used to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4czn10

Reaction score
A lot of east coast boats are painted, that’s probably what he’s used to

Agreed. But this guy claimed he’s done DCB’s, Eliminators etc...you would think he could tell!

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I am in a battle with a detailer I hired to ceramic coat my boat. The whole reason I hired a “professional “ was to make the boat look new again. When I took it to him, it was a 9. He said he could make it look “like a new boat again”. He had many reviews almost all 5’s, so I hired him. Fast forward 3 weeks. I went to pick it up yesterday, and the sides of the boat looked very nice, but my main concern was the top side, where I had a little oxidation. Not only did he not work the oxidation out, the entire top had less shine, had areas that looked like the coating was just splashed on and kind of worked in. I asked him what happened and his response was...wait for it...since the boat is PAINTED instead of gel coat, he didn’t want to to color sand it. He said all high end boats are painted and even went as far as showing me a Donzi and Baja to prove his point.

I am pretty sure Ultras and most other west coast boats are gel coated, as I have owned a few different ones. Can someone please verify for me the Ultras are indeed gel coated?
One more question, is $2600 a fair price. Interior was another $450 for what he called leather ceramic coating...

Thanks!
My Orion was gel and paint according to Pedro when he did some work on it. And it is not an Ultra but it was kinda an Ultra as it was all the same guys but after hours.

Reactions: DWC

shippingguy

2007 Ultra 27 Shadow
Reaction score
Thanks. Here is the pic. View attachment 1000657

That boat is gel coated. The only thing painted on it is the run rail. That boat originally came with a Teague 800. One of the first ones built with a Teague 800. I put a few hours on that boat personally at one of the Regattas. That boat is what got me to build my second 27 Shadow with a Teague 800. Can’t tell from the pic, but also all the billet hardware is triple plated chrome. Hope this helps.

4czn10

Reaction score
That boat is gel coated. The only thing painted on it is the run rail. That boat originally came with a Teague 800. One of the first ones built with a Teague 800. I put a few hours on that boat personally at one of the Regattas. That boat is what got me to build my second 27 Shadow with a Teague 800. Can’t tell from the pic, but also all the billet hardware is triple plated chrome. Hope this helps.

Thanks shippingguy! Stupid question...If your a professional detailer, is it that hard to tell the difference between gel and paint?

Universal Elements

Reaction score
He is full crap. Detailers who do ceramic know if it’s gel or paint. Even if it’s paint, all they do is paint correction. This guy doesn’t know shit. Call these people. Tell them your back east and they will help you out with any questions you may have. They train Detailers too how to apply and use ceramic. Very meticulous!

BE1147FA-6B69-41EE-8CF4-9AECD70AB193.jpeg

This is their IG page, lot of great info and videos.

Justsomeguy

Reaction score
No question Jeremy at shinesupply knows someone. So I agree with the above post to call or email. Jeremy is very responsive and will answer any questions you have. The price isn't shocking to me, if it was quality work like Jeremy or Kelly at shinedetailing llc, who learned from Jeremy. But that doesn't sound like that is what you got. There is a leather guard that gtechniq sells I have seen Kelly apply this.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score

Thanks!
Yeah that guy doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Probably hasn’t seen Gelcoat that intricate before so just assumed it was paint. For whatever it’s worth, here’s the info of a boating friend who owns a detailing business near Atlanta. He’s got an Interceptor deckboat and is a west coast boat guy so he knows his shit. Names Fred.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
If your Detailer doesn’t know the difference between paint and gel coat it’s time to find a new Detailer!

That boat is 100% Gel Coat. I remember seeing it at the LA Boat Show years ago. One of the best gel schemes ever to come out of Ultra. For what you paid for a 26’ boat it should have came with a Happy Ending, lol 😂

Dalton

Reaction score
So now, what’s it gonna take to get the ceramic coat off the top, and work the oxidation out

jbird

Reaction score
So now, what’s it gonna take to get the ceramic coat off the top, and work the oxidation out

Compound. Which is what will be used to deal with the oxidation as well.
Get it to someone that knows what they are doing.

dnewps

Banned
Reaction score
100 percent gel! Sc/nc Is not the west coast. On the east they like to paint because the boats were bigger. Find someone that knows what they are doing. Polishing gel is so much easier!!!

dnewps

Banned
Reaction score
Tow to Charlotte! I taught my 15 yr old to polish. 1k and done!

4czn10

Reaction score
He is full crap. Detailers who do ceramic know if it’s gel or paint. Even if it’s paint, all they do is paint correction. This guy doesn’t know shit. Call these people. Tell them your back east and they will help you out with any questions you may have. They train Detailers too how to apply and use ceramic. Very meticulous!

View attachment 1000709

This is their IG page, lot of great info and videos.

Thanks Universal. I should have listened to my gut. He felt like a used car salesman from the beginning!