WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2007 Chevy 2500 Upgrades

badluck24/7

Reaction score
Looking for some real world experiences, recommendations, suggestions for upgrades on a 2007 Chevy 2500 4wd LBZ. Since I no longer daily drive the truck it will be relegated to hauling a camper during on/off road trips. The small fuel tank is a no go on road trips. I kept the truck stock when it was my daily work truck but now I want to make some changes. I‘ll start with these two:
- Considering the Titan 52 and the S&B 62 fuel tanks. Any reason to pick one over the other?
- What are opinions for lift pumps on a stock engine? Leave it stock, FASS, AirDog, Kennedy, Fleece? Which and why?

wishiknew

Reaction score
Looking for some real world experiences, recommendations, suggestions for upgrades on a 2007 Chevy 2500 4wd LBZ. Since I no longer daily drive the truck it will be relegated to hauling a camper during on/off road trips. The small fuel tank is a no go on road trips. I kept the truck stock when it was my daily work truck but now I want to make some changes. I‘ll start with these two:
- Considering the Titan 52 and the S&B 62 fuel tanks. Any reason to pick one over the other?
- What are opinions for lift pumps on a stock engine? Leave it stock, FASS, AirDog, Kennedy, Fleece? Which and why?
LTZ ???

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Definitely do a lift pump. They really seem to help longevity on the rest of the fuel system. I prefer FASS, but more because that's what I've done more of. Haven't heard anything bad with the others though.

sintax

Reaction score
Lol. On the best diesel engine ever manufactured.

My LBZ I just used a plug in tuner on tow mode. Had plenty of power.

Sayin!

The LBZ is about as good as it gets. Mine runs a Stage 3 PPE tune for the last 80k miles, has about 140k on the clock now.

sintax

Reaction score

Can’t comment much on the tank, mines a long bed, so has the stock 33gal tank

As far as lift pumps, I always wish I installed one. If I didn’t have an old school Nicktane cat filter setup on mine, I’d get a FASS w/ the built in pump.

I may add a dual Kennedy setup someday to go with mine

Last edited:

ramos45

Reaction score
I have an 08 LMM and use Kennedy lift pump, it's easy and you can prime it from under the hood for when you change fuel filter. eliminate that thingy at the bottom of fuel filter, came out of gym once to see puddle of fuel under truck, the damn thingy cracked on it's own. as far as tuner i have the autocal from ATP Truck but they are no longer around. I'm sure you can find some EFI live stuff somewhere.

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
I run a stage 13 tornado fuel saver and a K&N turbo fin delete intake 23 state legal with lots of eliminated thingy’s. 😮

DoughBallin14

Reaction score
Had an 08 lmm and never had a problem with my 52g titan tank. Added an airdog 150 with a sump pick up on the tank and filter head delete where the factory filter is. Added a napa filter head for a cat 1r-0750 right after my lift pump. Ran that set up for 200k miles with efi live 550hp tune and never missed a beat until i sold it.

Lift pump for sure first and best thing to do on these trucks, dont worry about cold air intakes either factory ones good for over 500hp it flows great,
Towing and want to help egts then heres what i did and it made enough difference to matter.
Drivers side manifold from xdp, hot and cold side intercooler piping and turbo down pipe. I did everything at once and dropped about 150-200 degrees average on my normal towing route.

All purchased from alligator performance back in the day. Pretty sure Holten is still there. Just call him and he can tell you everything possible to help your goals.

There are some awesome smart diesel guys on rdp from this era that will chime in as well 👍🏽

(208) 777-1977
[email protected]

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
@badluck24/7 there are some damn good threads on here about the subject if you search hard enough. I’ll see what I can dig up. It doesn’t surprise me to find out yet another inmates has a cherry LBZ. It’s the truck of choice second only to the F150 for its vastly superior towing capacity.

I have an 2007 classic 2500HD as well. Little over 130k on the clock and mostly stock. Bought it lifted with Banks intake and exhaust. Still No tune, no egr delete and a stock fuel tank that baffles me every time I fill it.

I started upgrades with scrubbing. Fuel first with a lift pump from Airdog and a fuel filter head delete from Nicktane that’s also an adapter for a secondary Cat filter. I was originally going Fass but switched to AirDog mostly because the ambient noise of the pump seemed to be lower than the other units. Felt like a wash between design, warranty and customer service. Tipping point was when I found out the only two local diesel shops I would trust used them exclusively.

Oil was next with an Amsoil dual remote bypass filter. Increased capacity by 3qts and now can easily take a sample and send it in for analysis. The extended oil life is really nice.

I’m a fan of the S&B tank. I believe they have the most current rendition for our trucks as it was developed only a few years ago. They’re my choice for when that upgrade comes due.

There seams to be a standard path for steering, brake and cooling upgrades but I digress for now. Other inmates have extended experience in these departments.

Shots of my “filter station”
597AA3E2-CAD4-4A86-B655-578F0FAFC1D7.jpeg

Wrote this out the second day I owned the truck 😆
77EFD6DC-54AD-4B02-AF9F-C071FD39A4F0.jpeg

Last edited:

badluck24/7

Reaction score
Cummins swap 😂
Definitely in the square body one day
I would definitely add a DEF tank
Only if it hangs down lower than the frame

Had an 08 lmm and never had a problem with my 52g titan tank. Added an airdog 150 with a sump pick up on the tank and filter head delete where the factory filter is. Added a napa filter head for a cat 1r-0750 right after my lift pump. Ran that set up for 200k miles with efi live 550hp tune and never missed a beat until i sold it.

Lift pump for sure first and best thing to do on these trucks, dont worry about cold air intakes either factory ones good for over 500hp it flows great,
Towing and want to help egts then heres what i did and it made enough difference to matter.
Drivers side manifold from xdp, hot and cold side intercooler piping and turbo down pipe. I did everything at once and dropped about 150-200 degrees average on my normal towing route.

All purchased from alligator performance back in the day. Pretty sure Holten is still there. Just call him and he can tell you everything possible to help your goals.

There are some awesome smart diesel guys on rdp from this era that will chime in as well 👍🏽

(208) 777-1977
[email protected]
Thanks for the info
I‘ve driven by that place but it always looks closed
@badluck24/7 there are some damn good threads on here about the subject if you search hard enough. I’ll see what I can dig up. It doesn’t surprise me to find out yet another inmates has a cherry LBZ. It’s the truck of choice second only to the F150 for its vastly superior towing capacity.

I have an 2007 classic 2500HD as well. Little over 130k on the clock and mostly stock. Bought it lifted with Banks intake and exhaust. Still No tune, no egr delete and a stock fuel tank that baffles me every time I fill it.

I started upgrades with scrubbing. Fuel first with a lift pump from Airdog and a fuel filter head delete from Nicktane that’s also an adapter for a secondary Cat filter. I was originally going Fass but switched to AirDog mostly because the ambient noise of the pump seemed to be lower than the other units. Felt like a wash between design, warranty and customer service. Tipping point was when I found out the only two local diesel shops I would trust used them exclusively.

Oil was next with an Amsoil dual remote bypass filter. Increased capacity by 3qts and now can easily take a sample and send it in for analysis. The extended oil life is really nice.

I’m a fan of the S&B tank. I believe they have the most current rendition for our trucks as it was developed only a few years ago. They’re my choice for when that upgrade comes due.

There seams to be a standard path for steering, brake and cooling upgrades but I digress for now. Other inmates have extended experience in these departments.

Shots of my “filter station” View attachment 1163162

Wrote this out the second day I owned the truck 😆
Good info, thanks

81Sprint

Reaction score
On my '07 Classic 2500, I called Kennedy diesel and talked to them about best upgrades on the LBZ. I sent my computer to him and had him tune it, added a FASS lift pump, straight piped it and did a S&B CAI. Also did a deep trans pan and the Transgo kit, that was pretty easy just gotta take your time and don't skip any steps. That thing ran amazing, plenty of power. Only reason I sold it, 2WD and got stuck on the boat ramp.

sVd2K-NV9vJRhoXQdvYAK7KiBtOMXOWZY0LL7XIqXblPKtxhYRanTIrhfoa7xhG3rPkMjtjfTn6mvQAbJmrTUc-7m76d2Oh-DtDY-aPE0k06FQY8-PWcRcetEvHMnbEYIk7EDB1JpwcBpc0q5yx1sziTWohyDlc30nVEalb0NPidYAqiK5M9sjlv_IrNcGuz349K91xoBdT153CLANR8WhJkbnHkQz8KjKGa89WehFW37Ml2eovzx0qviujtWwuwTuXo0LFcsGysLUwf-gGJpUSSXCz1G2Hp8-R_cKTl8381VDvvvBGesvwwXZBtaaVVouYaMj7UD7L9sKb0VBzIC89glSK4XXrqt0nHok9Ne8xmDXcek8GKRcFpstHYvPbOYPU_pxFsKjaZvVt2GsqyyYq06NTlxphHTLWwLerxvXAsCE2E5aOCbzKO6D7ihzT6g9fLLaTlzBZicaJJxrazMHYXmQv7icyl_VadoqcvKqxbrd8HFxst66Qlt9sN5lKEE8QYtDMUVzHpxR52DOKaw0vN5T6Y2JR6ZMS4AWf69nniJR-PDQCWWQUnP0ajwFSBkaoY2BjiuV9jalkA4jdfjcL-kh4H7qHtxVhdneCmCmf6KXD78nIXwol2vXXCCckSi4iq6kFFeWfWoFIxp1AG67DtK1UgFeZNH-2TfVLih7WgJe8HZLDcbAdghkBax5ZF1F3gxJecF1utSX7qni_EAB5bDX51heI47zouKyajyOrSW-iiYa6F5g08ikqcqPtG64EaRVQc4ljv_CAVzyigwztjSKZsFOOHj-6I6TDFyA1MsBwXRjpEeeuGoNQ8OJ54VGcVkXdxagHmKsWTcxfcBNLNqT38TyM9jOtrHETTXJNjYt9hYBZJf8h6vjQDEWZWzjdEN509oARVAyktzYjM8gJ2GVSy9DpfFKwvmA=w1282-h937-no

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
Why do anything to it? I have an '07 classic. Completely stock with 78K miles and I love it. I pull my ~13,000 pound Eliminator out of the hole from Cottonwood for 14 miles and it does fine.

A bigger fuel tank for more range I guess I can see, but tuning and other modifications just seems like asking for problems.

Canuck 1

Midget Hater
Reaction score
Put a 110 gallon tank in the box or a 60 if it is a short box

mattyc

Reaction score
Keep a quality fuel filter on it and forego the lift pump. Some of those trucks have a code ( i forget the number ) but the description is fuel level sensor performanace. it tests for proper fuel level drop over a certain distance. when adding a large tank, ive seen this code become a problem. if in ca it may cause you trouble when going to smog. fyi

badluck24/7

Reaction score
Keep a quality fuel filter on it and forego the lift pump. Some of those trucks have a code ( i forget the number ) but the description is fuel level sensor performanace. it tests for proper fuel level drop over a certain distance. when adding a large tank, ive seen this code become a problem. if in ca it may cause you trouble when going to smog. fyi
I haven’t heard that one before so I’m gonna have to look into that since I’m still based in CA for a little longer
Why do anything to it? I have an '07 classic. Completely stock with 78K miles and I love it. I pull my ~13,000 pound Eliminator out of the hole from Cottonwood for 14 miles and it does fine.

A bigger fuel tank for more range I guess I can see, but tuning and other modifications just seems like asking for problems.
Just starting with things that make sense like a bigger tank for more range since I’ll be driving to camping destinations all over the country. Tuning or performance mods will wait until later or if the need is there from hauling the weight of the truck camper with gear

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
I had the same truck and put an EFI live towing tune on it, leveled it with Fox shocks and loved it. Should have never sold it.

duramax-jpg.717727

txmxer1

Reaction score
Mine is an 05 LLY. Fuel filter mod, 50 gallon aux tank, Idaho Rob tune gets about 22mpg not towing. 19mpg towing. About 340k on the truck. 140k on the tune. Love the damn thing.
View attachment 1163502
Do you really get that good of mileage? I have an lly with a banks tuner and I dont get near that kinda gas mileage, still need to do the faas pump though and I do cruise at about 75-80 on the freeway

ChrisV

Reaction score
Do you really get that good of mileage? I have an lly with a banks tuner and I dont get near that kinda gas mileage, still need to do the faas pump though and I do cruise at about 75-80 on the freeway
Yes. Efi live is the key. My worker got the same truck with a banks kit and nowhere near the same.