WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2009 F250 Deisel MPG SUCKS

hulihan

Reaction score
I have a F250 Diesel, 2009 almost paid off, I get 9 to 10 MPG around town and on our runs to our new river house, from Marina Del Rey to Parker, the best so far is 13 MPG, it sucks, I have a 2004 Diesel and it gets 17 around town, but can not use it to go to river as it is a loaded Plumbing truck, really thinking about getting a new truck, but am not sure which new Diesel gets the best MPG, have thought about chipping, but would rather get a new truck, anyone know what the new 2012 or 2011 are getting MPG around town and on long hauls where you can set speed control and just cruise ! Or anyone have any ideas on the new diesel trucks, no matter the make on MPG ? There has to be a good new diesel out there that gets great MPG, or there may not be, any suggestions would really help ???

Joepump

Reaction score
I have a 2009 F450. 13.5 towing every day. 20 empty. Could be gearing. I have a chip and a K&N. I can go from Elsinore to Parker on less than 3/4 tank towing .

hulihan

Reaction score
Where would I go to get it chipped, I am not even close to a mechanic, meaning I know nothing about working on cars ?

Joepump

Reaction score
I have the Edge. Real easy to install. The K&N from any auto part store ,$100. I update my programmer twice a year, FREE.

hulihan

Reaction score
Is the name of the chipping system the Edge or is that the car name,only ask as my wife has a Ford Edge, and the K&N, thats the filter for the air I take it ? I am not to car/truck savy :)

hallett21

Reaction score
Is the name of the chipping system the Edge or is that the car name,only ask as my wife has a Ford Edge, and the K&N, thats the filter for the air I take it ? I am not to car/truck savy :)

Edge is the tuner and k&n is an aftermarket air filter or intake system.

Joepump

Reaction score
My wife also has an Edge. Edgeproduccts.com , Try this.

Hernando

Blue Oval Slinger
Reaction score
I have a F250 Diesel, 2009 almost paid off, I get 9 to 10 MPG around town and on our runs to our new river house, from Marina Del Rey to Parker, the best so far is 13 MPG, it sucks, I have a 2004 Diesel and it gets 17 around town, but can not use it to go to river as it is a loaded Plumbing truck, really thinking about getting a new truck, but am not sure which new Diesel gets the best MPG, have thought about chipping, but would rather get a new truck, anyone know what the new 2012 or 2011 are getting MPG around town and on long hauls where you can set speed control and just cruise ! Or anyone have any ideas on the new diesel trucks, no matter the make on MPG ? There has to be a good new diesel out there that gets great MPG, or there may not be, any suggestions would really help ???

The 6.4L V8 Diesel, which was in the 2008-2010 model years Super Duty, was known for it's poor fuel economy. What you're getting in MPG is about what I've heard most guys getting. In 2011 we came out with our own diesel engine, the 6.7L V8 (Ford built) that gets substantially better fuel economy. There are quite a few members on the site that can give you real world MPG numbers. I've heard most guys who are running a F250 Crew 4X4 are getting around 18-20 MPG.

River911

911 River Trip
Reaction score
My 08 6.4L is getting around 14-15. Mostly freeway driving however. And I don't use a ginger foot either :D

You didn't say if your truck was lifted, big tires, etc?

Joepump

Reaction score
Topped off my tank this morning. I round tripped to Woodland Hills (200 Miles) on just under 14 gallons towing 10,000 lbs. My friends with 450's , the same. My friends with 250 and 350's , not so good.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I have a 2009 F450. 13.5 towing every day. 20 empty. Could be gearing. I have a chip and a K&N. I can go from Elsinore to Parker on less than 3/4 tank towing .

What gear ratio? No one I know ith a 6.4 stock gets that good but only 250 and 350's. My 07 450 with 6.0 had 4.30 rearend and would get 12-13 with light load and 9 towing 10,000 lbs.

Craig that is pretty much same mpg that I have hear until they do a DPF delete and tune. With this you will not pass smog and could be cited. Most dont give a shit but I am sure you do. I have heard good things about the new 6.7 Fords mpg but I would wait 1 more year as it is a new engine. Having just got back last night from my 17th trip this year to Echo I feel ya on the need for better mpg's. Towing 22' boat their and 21' back that is older and heavier I averaged 14.7 mpg 63-68 mph. If my truck was not lifted on 37's I can probably get 18mpg Thought about going back to stock but then I cant launch at our ramp I would have to drive to Rock house.

Attachments

• ramp 008.jpg
    ramp 008.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 189

hulihan

Reaction score
I have nothing extra on it, it is 100% stock, and I will get a new Truck, but as a few have said, I will wait one more year, we plan on going to Echo a lot, love it there, and our boat will be fixed this week or next, and then we will go as much as we can, I probably could trade up tomorrow on a new truck, but then I am back in hole with payments, with interest so low, may be an option, but I guess I am stuck, I really thought I would get much better mileage, as once you turn from the 10 up towards 29 palms, it is just strait driving, and no matter how I drive or what I am towing, be it the boat or toys, 13 is the best I have managed to get , not sure what I will do, need the 4X4, and love the big 4 door 4X4, so , I really appreciate all the input and am glad I found this site !
Craig

Lucas Oil

Reaction score
You mite want to try our fuel treatment its upper cyinder lubricant you can pick up about 1.5 sometimes 2 mile per gal you can get at Autozone.

hulihan

Reaction score
Whats the exact name of the Lucas fuel treatment, I will give it a try, was looking at the cost of the new F250 Diesel, rather pay the extra gas, than dig that hole anytime soon :)

We have a Pep Boys and a That Irish auto parts store close by, I have been using Diesel Kleen, but need to fill up tomorrow and will try the Lucas for awhile, can you give me the exact name of the product ?

I am home sick, fired a guy last Thursday and he picked up his last check sick as a dog and I caught it, but get the cold out of the way before the winter starts, got my flu shot and whooping cough shot :)

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
IMHO the only way to significantly reduce the 6.4L's thirst it to shit-can the DPF/regen system and run a Spartan programmer.

Search the Ford forums, lots of posts about it.
Of course, it's illegal to tamper with the emission system :blah:

hulihan

Reaction score
You are 1005 correct, but then it will not pass the smog and I had to smog my other diesel, and all the guy did was plug into the computer to make sure it was not tampered with and it was not, so it passed, I think for now, it is cheaper to buy the gas that get a new truck, they are around $50,000 plus for that extra MPG :( I am told, the more miles on a diesel, the better the MPG may get, but that may be :blah::blah:

dschifan

Reaction score
i have a new 2011 diesel, was getting 18 on freeway and 13 city before i put 40" tires on it, now i'm at 10 city and 13 freeway. love the truck though !!!

Hernando

Blue Oval Slinger
Reaction score
i have a new 2011 diesel, was getting 18 on freeway and 13 city before i put 40" tires on it, now i'm at 10 city and 13 freeway. love the truck though !!!

put some gears in that thing! ;)

thanks for buying a ford! :thumbsup

dschifan

Reaction score
put some gears in that thing! ;)

thanks for buying a ford! :thumbsup[/QUO

i am considering it but for how little miles get put on the truck except for when i do go to the river, i don't think the cost weighs out it being worth it. the only thing i tow is my little flat bed with a rzr on it and the boat stays at the river. 2k for gears would take along time to re-coup in fuel costs, and the truck still has tons of power with that new 6.7 I will look you up next vehicle purchase which is going to be a explorer very very shortely. :thumbsup