WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2011 Super Duty

Hernando

Blue Oval Slinger
Reaction score
Ford dropped by with a 2011 F250 Crew Cab King Ranch 4x4 with the new 6.7L Diesel engine yesterday. I had a chance to drive it around the block and play with some of the bells and whistles. The truck came in with a little over 6,500 miles on the odometer.

First off, the engine is noticeably more quiet than the current 6.4L diesel engine. With the windows rolled up, the noise is barely there.

Driving- It gets out of the hole fast! I'm sure the new engine plays a big part (duh;)) but the gearing of the new transmission is the difference maker. The shifts are very smooth and confident through all 6 gears. I know everyone wants to talk about the engine, but this transmission should be getting the accolades, very impressive. I jumped on the 241 toll road to see how she felt at freeways speeds. As I mentioned, this truck has no problem getting going, but she really shines going from 60-80+. I was going about 60'ish and punched the throttle and was at 80 in no time at all. Great passing power, and she still had plenty left in the tank but I had to back off as the local CHP are out in force more than ever around here. (BTW Vic, this truck has 20" wheels and no shake! ;))

This truck is built to tow. It has class exclusive trailer sway control that works to correct unwanted trailer sway, an integrated trailer brake controller, integrated exhaust brake (diesel models), manual mode on the transmission, tow/haul mode on the trans, a progressive range select on the transmission, and the hill assist feature. The hill assist makes it easier to pull away on a slope (boat ramp). In the new LCD productivity screen, you can store information for up to 10 trailers including mileage and trailer brake controller settings. Very cool feature. There is also an available rear back up camera that will allow you line up your hitch to your trailer by yourself and nail it in one shot. I have this on my F150 and I'll never go without it, clear picture and and awesome feature!

The seats are very comfy, great dash payout, and the LCD productivity screen is really cool. Ford finally put vents in the back of the center console to flow the air/heat back to back seat. (Yes, I know GM has been doing this for years, I hear about all the time. :p) The console also has a 110/150w inverter built in. The rear seats have a nice storage bin to put flashlights, emergency kits, ties downs, etc.

I will continue to share more information on this truck, there is a lot more, but I don't want to sound like a saleman....:cool:

If you have any questions, please ask!

Her are a few pictures I took while the truck was here. I wish I could have taken more but I ran out of time.

Attachments

• 2011 Super Duty 002.jpg
    2011 Super Duty 002.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 515
  • 2011 Super Duty 003.jpg
    2011 Super Duty 003.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 513
  • 2011 Super Duty 005.jpg
    2011 Super Duty 005.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 519

Hernando

Blue Oval Slinger
Reaction score
more pics

Attachments

• 2011 Super Duty 001.jpg
    2011 Super Duty 001.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 504
  • 2011 Super Duty 004.jpg
    2011 Super Duty 004.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 503

Hernando

Blue Oval Slinger
Reaction score
here is some more information i scanned.

Attachments

• 8.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 191
  • 6.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 255
  • 4.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 179
  • 2.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 186

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I like the color! Not sold on the grill / headlights though.. It's like everything though I suppose it'll grow on me.

I hated the new Chevy's when they came out, but eventually grew to like them as well. (Looks anyways)

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Dan, does this have heated / AC seats and all the bells like the platinum?

RD

Hernando

Blue Oval Slinger
Reaction score
Dan, does this have heated / AC seats and all the bells like the platinum?

RD

Yes, heated and a/c seats are standard on the King Ranch. It is packaged very similar to the Platinum. If the King Ranch package and colors( two-tone exterior and the unique interior color) aren't your cup of tea, you can get a Lariat with the Lariat Ultimate Package. This package will also have amenities similar to the F150 Platinum, including the heated/ cooled seats.

Hernando

Blue Oval Slinger
Reaction score
I like the center console.

Mine originally came with a seat. Ripped that out and put the console. But the 11' console looks much nicer.

Looks like lots of new gadgets. I like gadgets.

Nice little green urea fill cap too :skull

I wonder if the aroma will freak out drug sniffing dogs? :rolleyes:

The console is a huge improvement over the last one. It has tons of storage, and 4 cup holders for the front passengers. The cup holders are paired in two trays that can be removed, giving you a nice wide open area for "stuff", or you can put one tray back and have two cup holder and still plenty of room for your cell, Ipod, snacks, etc. Very well thought out.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Ford's interiors keep getting better and better :thumbsup

Huge improvement over my '07 Dodge.

.I like the 2010 Dodge exterior redesign, not so sure about the Ford & Chebbie stuff. The exterior styling of these new trucks has to grow on me, I guess...

LukeDogg

Luke and Laura
Reaction score
Dont mean to sound like a dumb ass Dan but what's the blue cap next to the gas cap.

Hernando

Blue Oval Slinger
Reaction score
Nice dance around the color comment Dano :D

I never got the King Ranch look. The seats are bitchin, but not in rawhide color. I think I've seen them in black, very nice. Hopefully I can do the Harley next time around.

Ford hasn't said anything about a Harley Edition for 2011 SD. I do have a Lariat Ultimate coming in with black leather. I'm really looking forward to seeing the new interior with that color combo.

BTW, My new truck is same color as yours (as are my thoughts on the other color;))

Hernando

Blue Oval Slinger
Reaction score
Dont mean to sound like a dumb ass Dan but what's the blue cap next to the gas cap.

That is the filler cap for the Diesel Exhaust Fluid (D.E.F.). The DEF is a fluid ( 67% deionized water and 33% urea) that is injected into the diesel exhaust system to reduce NOx emissions.

LukeDogg

Luke and Laura
Reaction score
That is the filler cap for the Diesel Exhaust Fluid (D.E.F.). The DEF is a fluid ( 67% deionized water and 33% urea) that is injected into the diesel exhaust system to reduce NOx emissions.

Nice

Hernando

Blue Oval Slinger
Reaction score
If you're running low on urea in the tank, I don't see why this wouldn't work. Unless it has to be cowpiss or something exotic :skull

Open up the PDF and read up on it. Then go invest in some DEF stock. :skull

Attachments

• DEF .pdf
    899.3 KB · Views: 246

dezertrider

Reaction score
So if you fill up the DEF tank how many miles before its empty? I see it carrys up to 6 gallons

That would suck being reduced to slower speeds until its refilled

Hernando

Blue Oval Slinger
Reaction score
So if you fill up the DEF tank how many miles before its empty? I see it carrys up to 6 gallons

That would suck being reduced to slower speeds until its refilled

we've been told it varies on driving habits, but that it's supposed to coincide with oil change intervals (which are at 7,500 miles). if you hammer the throttle all the time, then you'll probably be picking some up sooner than that.

Maw

Dont re Member
Reaction score
What about fuel mileage on the new motor? I was getting 12/18mpg (city/hwy) on my 6.0L, this dropped to 7.5/10mpg on my 6.4L. The Ford dealer (after the sale) told me that this is to be expected on all new generation diesels as they have to deal with the more stringent EPA requirements.

Thanks, Mark

Wakker

Sober
Reaction score
What about fuel mileage on the new motor? I was getting 12/18mpg (city/hwy) on my 6.0L, this dropped to 7.5/10mpg on my 6.4L. The Ford dealer (after the sale) told me that this is to be expected on all new generation diesels as they have to deal with the more stringent EPA requirements.

Thanks, Mark
Thats because the damn 6.4s are the first motors to have the DPF bullshit. Delete the DPF and watch your mileage go up, alot...

dezertrider

Reaction score
we've been told it varies on driving habits, but that it's supposed to coincide with oil change intervals (which are at 7,500 miles). if you hammer the throttle all the time, then you'll probably be picking some up sooner than that.

If you get 7500 mile before having to fill up the urine tank thats pretty cheap. thats 1250 MPG for the Urine and if it was 10$ a gallon thats .008 per mile additional cost.

Hernando

Blue Oval Slinger
Reaction score

Thanks, Mark

The new 6.7L with the 3.31 gears are getting about 20mpg on the highway. Because of the wide range of use in a 8500+ GVWR truck, Ford does not post it, but you will no doubt get better fuel economy out of the 6.7L than the current 6.4L.

Check out one of the PDF attachments I posted, it has the gear ratios for the 6-speed transmission (standard on the new diesel). The ratios have a lot to do with the improvement on MPG.

Hernando

Blue Oval Slinger
Reaction score
Thats because the damn 6.4s are the first motors to have the DPF bullshit. Delete the DPF and watch your mileage go up, alot...

I've talked with several customers that took off their DPF and concur with your statement. I just hope they don't get caught with it off, no bueno!

Maw

Dont re Member
Reaction score
Is it the restriction of the DPF that causes the drop in economy, or the added fuel used during the regen cycle? Do you need to change the ECU's code or just drop the DPF? Obviously this is for an off-road application.

Cheers, Mark

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Is it the restriction of the DPF that causes the drop in economy, or the added fuel used during the regen cycle? Do you need to change the ECU's code or just drop the DPF? Obviously this is for an off-road application.

Cheers, Mark

Obviously.. :D

RD

Wakker

Sober
Reaction score

Cheers, Mark
Due to regen. You don't need to physically remove the DPF (although I would) All you do is have your tuner of choice turn off the DPF in the tune file and the POS won't go into regen...

Hernando

Blue Oval Slinger
Reaction score
Due to regen. You don't need to physically remove the DPF (although I would) All you do is have your tuner of choice turn off the DPF in the tune file and the POS won't go into regen...

bingo.

Hernando

Blue Oval Slinger
Reaction score
They killed it off too early

I agree, unfortunately Ford thought otherwise. The Excursion was built at the same plant as the F-Series SuperDuty and shared most of the same commodities. Around 2004-2005 Ford could not build the F-Series trucks quick enough to meet the demand and while the Excursion did sell well in a few markets (So Cal, Texas, AZ, Colorado), overall sales were less than expected. So Ford made an easy business decision at the time, cut what's not selling and build more of what is.