WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2012 Ram 2500 Feedback

HitIt

Reaction score
I can get a pretty good deal on a 2012 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins with ~100k miles. I know that the truck has been cared for. Things that I know have been changed after 2012:

- New more rigid frame
- New front steering to correct "death wobble"
- New rear suspension (coil)
- Front axle disconnect for 4x4
- Upgraded transmission cooling
- Upgraded radiator
- Upgraded intercooler
- Complete interior overhaul
- DEF for regen
- Upgraded exhaust brake (multi stage?)

Seems like a lot of changes, but as I said, I can get a good deal and I know the truck has been cared for. I plan to use this truck to haul my 6k lb boat and a 10k lb bumper pull travel trailer.

Anyone with experience with this generation vs the current generation? Any changes that make huge differences?

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
The '12 is a great choice for several reasons, no DEF being one of them. They retain the 4-link front suspension and rear leaf springs which are preferred by most- especially if you plan on doing a performance lift in the future. The trucks were also available with 3.73 and 4.10 gears instead of the 3.42s the newer trucks come with.

If you have a line on a well cared for truck at a good price I would jump on it. Any potential problem areas have proven easy fixes readily available.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I had a 2012 and loved it other than constant smog related issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kiethco

Reaction score
The 2013 has a bigger media center screen, other than that, 2012 is the same truck, a great year, I have a 2012 Longhorn Laramie. My 2nd one, I love these trucks.

HitIt

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. This truck has the Big Horn package and a few factory upgrades. It is all stock and has been well cared for. I am going to take a look at it soon. It does have 3.73 gears. I was pretty happy about that.

Anything in particular I should look at or check when I see it?

Wish I could delete the thing. Grrrr, CA.

XX14

Reaction score
I've had this truck for 4 years now. At about 60k I had to replace the AC. It's a known week point on these trucks. Even when the ac is working as designed your passengers in the back will suffer. I just deleted mine when the dpf filled up. You'll also be spending money on the front end of the truck around 100k. I like the truck and I knew about the weak points before I bought mine. Not sure I would do it again? I like the GMC Denali fit and finish. The Cummins is amazing but Chrysler is ridiculously bad when it comes to service. I don't even let them look at my truck at this point. Tough decision when you're spending this much money on a vehicle. Good luck.

HitIt

Reaction score
@XX14 Thanks. The passengers in the back will be my kids so they can deal with the AC ;-)

I hear ya on the front end and it is one of the things that I am a little concerned about. When it is time, I was planning to do
- ball joints: https://www.cjcoffroad.com/EMF-2003-2012-Dodge-Ram-2500-3500-Duty-Ball-Joints-p/emf03dodgebj4.htm
- steering kit: https://www.synergymfg.com/Synergy-03-12-Dodge-Truck-Heavy-Duty-Steering-Kit-p-30964.html
- steering gear (it it needs it): http://www.cjcoffroad.com/RedHead-2009-2012-Dodge-2500-3500-4-4-p/rh-2880.htm
- and maybe a 3" lift

Anything else or should that about cover the front end?

XX14

Reaction score
I'm planning on Carli products and King shocks. It's pricey but I'm planning on keeping the truck. I'm just going to level mine and not with plastic pucks.

If yours doesn't have the Genos Garage cabin air filter mod do that asap as it will extend the life of the ac. Make no mistake that you're going to replace the ac at some point.

My sunroof leaked and it was a nightmare to get Chrysler to warranty it. They literally kept my truck for two months after they insisted I must have left it open in the rain.

My passenger headlight died every six months until I cut out the offending connector and hard wired it. No problem now.

If you're not towing hit the light duty switch on the dash and lower the tire pressure to 50 up front and 45 in the back. When you are towing set the cruise control and relax... it does that very well.