WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2012 Shelby GT500 SMOG Test Issue

dtp92648

Reaction score
I’ve got a low mileage 2012 GT500 weekend driver (about 8,500 miles) that won’t pass a SMOG test. The tech at the facility said the EGR sensor isn’t registering on the computer - therefore it won’t pass.

He gave me an info sheet on a protocol to get it to function properly. Basically I went for little drive after it failed... 4-5 minutes at 20-30mph sustained speed then 15 minutes between 40-60mph. He suggested that I come off/on the throttle as much as possible during the 40-60mph drive. Followed by 5 minutes at idle.

Well... I did all of that and it failed the second time.

Anybody dealt with an issue like this? I guess not driving much is the root cause of the problem according to the tech?

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Had this with my older dually. Had to pur almost 1000 miles on it before it could pass smog.

3queens

Detachable Member
Reaction score
Is there a EGR delete on the car ? alot of gt guys do this
original owner ? Check your local ford on emission warranty should be 8yr
is there a fault code ?
new egr for that car should run around $160+ pending brand you buy

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Monitors are not set. Sometimes they will set quick, sometimes can take longer. You can buy an obd2 cable and download a readiness app on your phone.

It will show which monitors are ready/not ready.

Ladsm

Reaction score
Monitors are not set. Sometimes they will set quick, sometimes can take longer. You can buy an obd2 cable and download a readiness app on your phone.

It will show which monitors are ready/not ready.
Harbor Freight sells a nice OBD2 monitor that has the smog checkk ready already built into it and they always have a 20% off coupon online.

sonicss31

Reaction score
My son just went through the exact same thing here in MD. He rarely drives the car so he had to take car out for a short drive every day or so to get chit to recognize sensors. Took him 3/4 tries to pass.

satellitemike

Reaction score
Let me know where I can pick it up and take that nightmare off your hands!
Just went to shelby America yesterday, some very impressive cars and trucks there.
20200311_144421.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

dtp92648

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys! I bought the car new and it was always intended to be a weekend driver... but, over time I have driven it less and less (maybe 400-500 miles per year).

I guess this is a wake up call to put some miles on it. I feel like it’s a small victory every time I make it back home without a speeding ticket and this model year isn’t even as fast as the new ones!!!

LazyLavey

Reaction score
Did you happen to disconnect the battery or did the battery die prior to test?

Took me 300 miles of various driving after a battery disconnect for my monitors to set

dtp92648

Reaction score
Did you happen to disconnect the battery or did the battery die prior to test?

Took me 300 miles of various driving after a battery disconnect for my monitors to set

Funny you mention that... I forgot to hook up my battery tender and the battery went completely dead (wasn’t able to jump it). I did have to replace the battery a few months ago.

Thanks for the info!!!

EBT531

Reaction score
Funny you mention that... I forgot to hook up my battery tender and the battery went completely dead (wasn’t able to jump it). I did have to replace the battery a few months ago.

Thanks for the info!!!

Thats likely your issue. Once you reset the computer (dead battery) you need to do several drives before all of the sensors are active. Its a work around as people used to disconnect the battery, reset the check engine light and then try to pass emissions real quick before it comes back on

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
I’ll be going to
The Shelby bash next weekend .
Want me to put some miles on your car for you .

merc_400r

Reaction score
get your self a code scanner. It will take all the guess work out of when its ready.

Mikes56

Reaction score
Harbor Freight sells a nice OBD2 monitor that has the smog checkk ready already built into it and they always have a 20% off coupon online.
Do you have a link or description? Sounds like this would be good for all of us to have.

Ladsm

Reaction score
this is a newer version than I bought a couple years ago and is on sale. Get the coupon and it will pay for itself in one use.
obd.PNG