WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2013+ Mercruiser 8.2 mag / H.O. differences and questions about mods

Qwiketz

Reaction score
Hi all. I’ve searched the last two nights and can’t find much detailed info on these engines. Like for instance, is the bottom end forged or cast? Is the intake roughly the same as the 496 ones?

it sounds like the 496’s were pretty bullet proof as long as left stock. Were improvements made to these that are more favorable when doing mods (such as aluminum heads and a cam)?
I can’t remember off hand but there is a $4k or so premium to upgrade from the mag to the H.O. I’m already thinking about going to a larger cam and aluminum heads so would I be better off just ordering the base, using it until the warrantee expires and then go to town?

finally, is it just cam specs and computer tune (For higher rpm) as far as differences? Any compression or hardware differences? Do these things respond Much to ecu tune and higher ratio rockers?

I’m going to beordering a new boat so I could get it either way; I just want to make the right choose for my situation.

Qwiketz

Reaction score
Sorry guys, to clarify, I’m asking about the differences between the 496 and the current 502 that I can buy in new boats? What are the differences besides the few cubic inches.

I can’t find the edit off my phone...

Lavey 29

Reaction score
Totally everything is different including the PCM - the 8,2 uses Visteon PCM 09 and 012. The 496 is PCM 555 Mototron / Motorola. Nex is 8.2 catalyst with pre and post O 2 sensors vs non any of that for the 496. Also the Merc 8.2 cat DOES NOT use one GM part on the entire engine - 2010 to current. Also against the law to change any cat marine engine as they are federal mandated. Just like pulling you cats off your auto. Against the law to do so.

Qwiketz

Reaction score
Dang, so 8.2 doesn’t have much of an aftermarket? Looks close on the surface, but so different if this is true!

Lavey 29

Reaction score
Not one GM part and the PCM visteon is locked tuned. I get all the time to change the cal for cat delete. I am not doing this for one I have to much to lose and fined plus lose my LIC. All marine engines made in the USA --- 500 hp and under have to be CAT emission control for inboards and I/O s. This started in CA 2008 year model and the rest in 2010. This is nothing new at al for info. I have worked about 50 - 8.2 since 2010 to current. Not many has sold in 11 years maybe if Merc was lucky again maybe 4000 of these 8.2. I would NOT buy one period.

Qwiketz

Reaction score
Apparently!! Any links with suggested reading on this engine? I looked and couldn’t find squat. I’m a car guy and love learning about what I’m working with to understand where I’m at.

Qwiketz

Reaction score
Not one GM part and the PCM visteon is locked tuned. I get all the time to change the cal for cat delete. I am not doing this for one I have to much to lose and fined plus lose my LIC. All marine engines made in the USA --- 500 hp and under have to be CAT emission control for inboards and I/O s. This started in CA 2008 year model and the rest in 2010. This is nothing new at al for info. I have worked about 50 - 8.2 since 2010 to current. Not many has sold in 11 years maybe if Merc was lucky again maybe 4000 of these 8.2. I would NOT buy one period.

So is this just the common engine due to everyone using mercury as a vendor for their engines even though it's not really liked?

This is sort of following the trend in cars- manufacturers are locking the ecm's more and more frequently.

kind of sucks because literally all of the new boats are coming with this engine.

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
I had the 496 No problems
In the new boat I have the 8.2 (502 )
Run better Bottom to top end of the rpm range and sounds better once the cats are removed .

Qwiketz

Reaction score
I had the 496 No problems
In the new boat I have the 8.2 (502 )
Run better Bottom to top end of the rpm range and sounds better once the cats are removed .
Did that help the performance much? What did you install to remove them?

Lavey 29

Reaction score
federal law will catch up with that cat delete people removing them

CobraDave

Reaction score
Wimple did the cpu for cat delete.
Slid out the cat
Your done

I would do it again without thinking about it .

I was thinking of doing that on my 6.2 350. I’m not sure if anyone has done it but....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
federal law will catch up with that cat delete people removing them
They let these idiots burn down and loot city’s.
I’m not even concerned about it .
plus there’s is no way you can tell unless
The engine is on a dyno or reader .

Lavey 29

Reaction score
and how do you think the govt will be making money back --- Fines and raising taxes. They have hugely busted the guys on the diesel truck side in the past 2 years and continue for changing the cals in those ecms. I am not saying the boat owner will be the one in heat but the people whom are changing the emission calibration away from the emission standards set by the Oems and epa. You guys have no idea what the EPA and the marine oems have done inside the ecms since 2013 and on. See the marine oems even know currently if you changed the tunes and then back to stock again. The ecm will provide the oems with that info because the marine oems are tired of warranty claims where the ecms tune was changed and back to stock again so owners do not think they are voiding warranty claims.

Next also I sat in on with the NMMA and some other groups about the emission clamp down that is coming for the marine side.

Next if you were to Call Teague ask him what his engines have to meet for CA emissions ??? call him and have him tell you about what he had / has to do meeting those standards.

Also see you guys do not deal with the OEM marine engine manu s . With current pres in office emission is not the concern but down the road it will be more in forced. Call Mercruiser and ask them about it as well. The first question they ( mercruiser / Volvo / Indmar / PCM / Marine power ask you what is the HULL HIN number ? without providing the HIN - you can not buy an engine thru the marine OEMs for inboards and I/Os.

Qwiketz

Reaction score
So it is expected that after my stock engine expires, I have to install the same thing and can’t upgrade it at all? I think they’re going to have trouble with that one since a lot of guys like to hot rod their boats