WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2014 SJP Jeep Rubicon JK Build

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
Looking good Sam............what a shame to take such a nice looking ride off-road !! Very well done :thumbup:

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Looks good. What is the next set of upgrades

Will need to verify gearing. Really need to drive and see where I am at. Plan on custom making garage door hangers and roof pulleys for HB and LHC. Thank you for the positive feedback.

Looking good Sam............what a shame to take such a nice looking ride off-road !! Very well done :thumbup:

TY - yeah as I am going through this process I am saying to myself "why did they start making these things so nice?"

Paul65k

Reaction score
I just want to go on record early and say that I want first "Dibbs" on this thing when you sell it for pennies on the $ in a few years.....unless of course CT puts his up for sale first :D

Reactions: SJP

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I just want to go on record early and say that I want forst "Dibbs" on this thing when you sell it for pennies on the $ in a few years.....unless of course CT puts his up for sale first :D

haha....:D

This is a great build and will be extremely nice when done. Out of all the things I have built it seems the jeep will be the smartes $$$ wise. I can't believe the amount of $$$ these things sell for used if built properly.:yikes

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Jeep looks fantastic!!!

I can't tell are you running 35's or 37's?

I am going in monday to have the jeep regeard to 5:13. The 4:10's were pretty good with the 35" toyos but it needs more gear with the bigger tires.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
I just want to go on record early and say that I want first "Dibbs" on this thing when you sell it for pennies on the $ in a few years.....unless of course CT puts his up for sale first :D

Nice - yeah the boys were in the garage and claimed they wanted to drive it when they turned 16... The winch was a big hit.:D

Jeep looks fantastic!!!

I can't tell are you running 35's or 37's?

I am going in monday to have the jeep regeard to 5:13. The 4:10's were pretty good with the 35" toyos but it needs more gear with the bigger tires.

35s - but they look like a big 35 if that makes sense. IDK - we will see how this works. Never ends.

Thanks all - for the positive feedback - :thumbup:

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Nice - yeah the boys were in the garage and claimed they wanted to drive it when they turned 16... The winch was a big hit.:D

35s - but they look like a big 35 if that makes sense. IDK - we will see how this works. Never ends.

Thanks all - for the positive feedback - :thumbup:

you should be ok with the 35 mtr's

There a light tire so it shouldn't feel to bad.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
So I decided to try a frame mount out first. Researched and I know guys are doing body mount a lot but could not bring myself to order it off the bat. These fit and finish pretty well. I like the way they look and I powder coated the insets a contrasting white.

image.jpg

image.jpg

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Got the bumper on. Still need to address tire mount in morning. Running out of parts. Going to the SC game.

image.jpg

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
All that is left in phase I is finish wiring up the lighting.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Looks great.....I was so beat from building me jeep that it took me another 8 months to wrap up the wiring for the rear bumper lights and the tire mounted license plate brake/light combo....lol

We need to have a RDP jeep meet and greet shortly. Should we just head to a place to eat or actually take them offroad?:skull:D

I had 5:13 gears installed yesterday because of you;):p

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
For any of you guys in Havasu with JK's I would gladly provide a 30 pack if someone could come by my place and hook up to my toon so I can see how it does getting it in and out of the sloped driveway to the garage before I write the check.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
For any of you guys in Havasu with JK's I would gladly provide a 30 pack if someone could come by my place and hook up to my toon so I can see how it does getting it in and out of the sloped driveway to the garage before I write the check.

Nice. Get someone else to be the guinea pig. [emoji5]️[emoji5]️

Paul65k

Reaction score
Looks great.....I was so beat from building me jeep that it took me another 8 months to wrap up the wiring for the rear bumper lights and the tire mounted license plate brake/light combo....lol

We need to have a RDP jeep meet and greet shortly. Should we just head to a place to eat or actually take them offroad?:skull:D

I'm in.......Just let me know when and where.......Somewhere near the river would be cool.

Maybe start with Breakfast at Topock 66 then a run over Crossman Peak and we can end up at the Desert Bar for a few cold ones and live music???:skull

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I'm in.......Just let me know when and where.......Somewhere near the river would be cool.

Maybe start with Breakfast at Topock 66 then a run over Crossman Peak and we can end up at the Desert Bar for a few cold ones and live music???:skull

Wait for me, sold my trusty kidney splitting YJ, shopping for JK now

ductape1000

Here.
Reaction score
Wait for me, sold my trusty kidney splitting YJ, shopping for JK now
Since you aren't buying mine and the wife has changed us up to looking for a motorhome after the new year instead of a better trailer, it looks like I will be keeping my LJ to tag behind. [emoji4]

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score

I think I saw you driving your jeep the other way down MacArthur. Yes we should get a Jeep meet up in LHC. I like Paul's idea.

Yeah I am waiting on some lights from rigid and then going to wire everything at once. (that is what I am telling myself) :D

SJP

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score

Nice. Get someone else to be the guinea pig. [emoji5]️[emoji5]️

Come on 1AD - where is your sense of adventure -- no need to measure to see if it fits in the garage or can tow the pontoon. Pull the trigger find out the rest later.... :skull

Paul65k

Reaction score
Since you aren't buying mine and the wife has changed us up to looking for a motorhome after the new year instead of a better trailer, it looks like I will be keeping my LJ to tag behind. [emoji4]
I'm with you Tony.......we better trail behind with the "Real Jeeps" and pick up the pieces when the new Tonka-Toy Jeeps start shedding :D

Paul65k

Reaction score
Why not just rent one from the guys that rent them here in Havasu and try it yourself? :cool

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I think I saw you driving your jeep the other way down MacArthur. Yes we should get a Jeep meet up in LHC. I like Paul's idea.

Yeah I am waiting on some lights from rigid and then going to wire everything at once. (that is what I am telling myself) :D

SJP

I should check the garage to make sure it's still there...lol

I drove straight down the 91 to Fullerton and then rinsed and repeated. Wife drove it around corona a bit today so I can get some break in miles on her. Brutal driving under 60 mph for the first 500 miles

Hammer

Reaction score
I should check the garage to make sure it's still there...lol

I drove straight down the 91 to Fullerton and then rinsed and repeated. Wife drove it around corona a bit today so I can get some break in miles on her. Brutal driving under 60 mph for the first 500 miles

Under 60 for the first 500 miles on a new set of gears? That's crazy talk.. I'd like to hear the reasoning for that...

phuggit

Reaction score
Damn glad its finally cooling off enough to take the Jeep out.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Check for a hitch before you sign. ;)

There are probably a couple of variables in this test. I know the bumper I removed was mostly plastic and the metal was really weak with only 4 bolts holding it on. My bumper has an integrated hitch with 6 additional frame mounts. It is much more stout. You also have the lift to contend with as a factor.

SJP

ductape1000

Here.
Reaction score
There are probably a couple of variables in this test. I know the bumper I removed was mostly plastic and the metal was really weak with only 4 bolts holding it on. My bumper has an integrated hitch with 6 additional frame mounts. It is much more stout. You also have the lift to contend with as a factor.

SJP

I was figuring that the rentals don't have hitches. So that idea may not work for him.

My rear aftermarket bumper has one and like yours has added frame mounts to get the weight rating.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
The wrangler hitch is attached to the frame and sits under the factory bumper. Unless they were ordered with the tow package they probably won't have a hitch.

How steep is the driveway and how heavy is the boat?

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Ya I've never heard that one before.

I will be nice for as long as I can......

The last time I had something regeard I took it to the track in less than 200 miles and they whined like a bitch after that...lol

Hammer

Reaction score
I will be nice for as long as I can......

The last time I had something regeard I took it to the track in less than 200 miles and they whined like a bitch after that...lol

Climbing rocks you will be under 60... See if you can shear the pinion gear off! :eek:

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
When I asked the guy who did the rear end in my '87 if I needed to do anything special after building that he told me have fun. Drive it like you stole it. Just told me to do an oil change in it after I think it was 500 miles. And he gave a warranty as well.

Hammer

Reaction score
When I asked the guy who did the rear end in my '87 if I needed to do anything special after building that he told me have fun. Drive it like you stole it. Just told me to do an oil change in it after I think it was 500 miles. And he gave a warranty as well.

Same here pretty much , I think he said take it easy for the first 10 miles or so....

Really clean Sam, came out really nice. Congrats !

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
The wrangler hitch is attached to the frame and sits under the factory bumper. Unless they were ordered with the tow package they probably won't have a hitch.

How steep is the driveway and how heavy is the boat?

It's a 25 foot Bennington with a 200 on it on a dual axle. I back it in now with my f250 in four low and it idles it up the slope, jeep should work the same way.

ductape1000

Here.
Reaction score
It's a 25 foot Bennington with a 200 on it on a dual axle. I back it in now with my f250 in four low and it idles it up the slope, jeep should work the same way.
I back my stuff up into the back of the yard with mine through the gravel the same way. Doesn't even spin tires.

If you are going straight, you shouldn't have a problem being in 4wd.

Paul65k

Reaction score
Walt,

I have an 06 Unlimited and I'd be happy to stop by and let you give it a try........I tow the Schiada with the 300 Merc on the back and it's not a problem at all:thumbup::thumbup:

Gimme a call next time you're in town and I'll swing on by......I can pick up my rope at the same time :D

gqchris

Reaction score
Great Thread Sam. And the new ride is looking great!

Chris

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Mock up of lights all mounted. Need to wire, loom, route, zip tie :D, and tie into S pod switches. Next project is 1 man roof removal and door hangers in the garage (HB / Havasu).

image.jpg

Paul65k

Reaction score
Getting close on buying this one......
View attachment 373346
Walt........Whatever you do get a Rubicon.......if you want to do any serious or even moderate off-roading you will need the lockers. The only people who will tell you that you don't need them are the people who don't have them!!

The first time you need them you REALLY NEED THEM.....I suggest that you listen to the hard core wheelers here and they will tell you that you should have a Rubicon with the lockers........or buy aftermarket later which will be more expensive as a retrofit!!!

Remember..........4WD is 2WD without lockers......don't get that "X" unless you are really only looking for a "Mall Crawler" :D

Paul65k

Reaction score
Mock up of lights all mounted. Need to wire, loom, route, zip tie :D, and tie into S pod switches. Next project is 1 man roof removal and door hangers in the garage (HB / Havasu).

View attachment 373350
Dam Sam.......that thing is looking SWEEEEEET!!!

Nice touch putting the small lights in the bumpers too.......almost missed those the first time around!!:thumbup::thumbup:

Let me guess.......the hoist you are rigging up will have an electric motor to take the top up and down :rolleyes

PS.....when do the LED headlights come in??

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Walt........Whatever you do get a Rubicon.......if you want to do any serious or even moderate off-roading you will need the lockers. The only people who will tell you that you don't need them are the people who don't have them!!

The first time you need them you REALLY NEED THEM.....I suggest that you listen to the hard core wheelers here and they will tell you that you should have a Rubicon with the lockers........or buy aftermarket later which will be more expensive as a retrofit!!!

Remember..........4WD is 2WD without lockers......don't get that "X" unless you are really only looking for a "Mall Crawler" :D

I'm pretty much into crawling the mall. My last jeep I put lockers in it and never used them. I'm too anal to go hard core off road, just trips to desert bar and trails around the house and most of the time being towed behind the motorhome.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Right there with you Walt, I'll "sport" it for now, and mob the crap out of the rzr. I can use the jeep winch to drag the rzr on the trailer and tow it home with the jeep:D

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Right there with you Walt, I'll "sport" it for now, and mob the crap out of the rzr. I can use the jeep winch to drag the rzr on the trailer and tow it home with the jeep:D

That's a horrible idea.

On another note, got my jeep rolling again. Need to hit some easy trails before I tear it all down and redo the trans. If you guys are headed out soon I might be in.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
That's a horrible idea.

On another note, got my jeep rolling again. Need to hit some easy trails before I tear it all down and redo the trans. If you guys are headed out soon I might be in.

If you ever get some mid week day trips, I will make time for it:thumbup: