WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2016 Ford 6.7 Diesel fuel pump failure

Dkahnjob

Reaction score
I have a 2016 F-250 with the 6.7 Diesel engine and it has 38K easy miles on it. I appears that my CP-4 Bosch high pressure fuel pump has failed. I purchased a Ford extended warranty when I purchased the truck for just such an occasion. Took the truck to Vista Ford in Woodland Hills, CA for repair and they tell me that it has been miss fuelled with auto gas! No Way, no one but me drives it.
Asked how they knew and they said that they tested the fuel. So we went in and had them pull a sample before our eyes and tested it ourselves, no gas, just straight diesel.
So Ford is lying and cheating to get out of any warranty work. They want $9,500.00 for the repair.

Does anyone know of a good Diesel mechanic in the San Fernando Valley that I can have do the repair?
I will deal with Ford and the dealer in court later.
TIA,Dave

robby dmax

Reaction score
If you are paying call todd at code three..todd does pretty good work
Can't believe Jeff is not taking care of that under warranty..just sucks

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I wouldn't blame Ford, but that dealer sure is. I would look up what dealer around sells the most trucks, call them and explain the situation. I wish I knew an independent out your way, but no help there.

Cdog

Reaction score
Call Ford. I called GM about an issue on my truck and they stepped in, TBagged the dealer and made them do the work even though I was 7k over my 100k mile warranty.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
My fuel pump blew out on my 2012 6.7
49k miles
Towed to Redlands Ford, all covered under warranty.
Warranty extended to 120k miles.

Call Ford, that dealer has a shady service manager if they won’t back it

Not an uncommon problem.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
825DDB2F-B12C-46FD-8132-669B18DABC42.jpeg
F0DB258C-92F2-4097-B166-C2275575564D.jpeg

Spot

Reaction score
Dang that sucks. If you can’t get it warrantied through a dealer, I would take it to Domestic Diesel in Chino. A little drive for you but worth the time and money. I can say there honest work has saved me money over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

braindead

Reaction score
I have a 2016 F-250 with the 6.7 Diesel engine and it has 38K easy miles on it. I appears that my CP-4 Bosch high pressure fuel pump has failed. I purchased a Ford extended warranty when I purchased the truck for just such an occasion. Took the truck to Vista Ford in Woodland Hills, CA for repair and they tell me that it has been miss fuelled with auto gas! No Way, no one but me drives it.
Asked how they knew and they said that they tested the fuel. So we went in and had them pull a sample before our eyes and tested it ourselves, no gas, just straight diesel.
So Ford is lying and cheating to get out of any warranty work. They want $9,500.00 for the repair.

Does anyone know of a good Diesel mechanic in the San Fernando Valley that I can have do the repair?
TIA,Dave

You're kidding right, $9,500.00 for a fuel pump? I hate to ask what a whole new engine costs?

sczagurs

Reaction score
I known it is a bit of a drive but I am Friends with the service manager at upland ford. He helped me out with the repurchase of my 2016 F250 through ford reacquired vehicles. He will take great care of you and ensure it has been taken care of the first time. Pm me if you would like his info.

SixD9R

Reaction score

TIA,Dave
That’s fucken bullshit that Ford is not making good on your extended warranty. And that’s coming from a Ford driver. Unless you can’t wait to get it repaired, I would not pay an independent garage for the work. It will be much harder to recover that money than it will be to get Ford to do the repair under the warranty they sold you.
Best of luck to you to get this resolved quickly and at no cost.

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
The dealer gets paid well to do the repair if it’s under warranty, I can’t imagine there is a service manager that would not want the work. Call Ford consumer affairs and open a claim.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
You're kidding right, $9,500.00 for a fuel pump? I hate to ask what a whole new engine costs?
This is a Bosch CP4 high pressure fuel pump, the same one they use in the Duramax engines since 2011-2016, they have a tendency to grenade when they get dry (low fuel), or get water in the fuel. When they grenade they send shards of metal all through the fuel system, the fuel lines, the injectors, regulator, return lines into the tank, there’s a lot of cleaning and replacing going on - it’s a lot more entailed than just changing the fuel pump. It’s an $8 - $12k job at a GM dealership.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

TIA,Dave

Ford has pulled this very same crap with just about everyone that had trouble with a 6.0.

Chris Davidson (speedboat/ performance boats) got similarly screwed. They claimed there was water in the fuel and when he checked with the gas station they had complete records of logs and tests refuting that.

Sorry man.

Between the treatment of diesel clients and their transmission issues - I cant give ford any more business.

UD

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score

TIA,Dave

Call an attorney, Larry Hoddick in Palm Springs area is really good. They will change their approach quick. Or take it to another dealership.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score

TIA,Dave
I wouldn’t want anyone but Ford doing that job, it’s major surgery and your truck is under factory warranty. Take it to another dealer, share the findings of the independent fuel test if needed.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Dave call Galpin and ask for Pat Mcneely. He is head of service. Explain the situation. He will take care of you.

Tooned Up

Reaction score
This is the exact reason I don’t buy a new truck and continue to plug along with my slow underpowered 7.3... $9500 for a fuel pump!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

LowRiver2

Reaction score
This is a Bosch CP4 high pressure fuel pump, the same one they use in the Duramax engines since 2011-2016, they have a tendency to grenade when they get dry (low fuel), or get water in the fuel. When they grenade they send shards of metal all through the fuel system, the fuel lines, the injectors, regulator, return lines into the tank, there’s a lot of cleaning and replacing going on - it’s a lot more entailed than just changing the fuel pump. It’s an $8 - $12k job at a GM dealership.

Water in the fuel: shame on me for using Jet fuel in Parker, was in a hurry and topped off on the way out: it blew in Redlands on way home.
No BS fuel ever again, 76k miles now, no issues.
Redlands Ford charged Ford $8K for mine. They have to go through the whole fuel system to look for metal. I'm not saying there is skin for the dealer but pretty sure an independent garage would not be more than a couple grand cheaper if they actually followed all the lines/fuel system out for evidence of metal.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Seems they would install a filter after the pump to prevent this from happening. Even a stainless screen of some sort

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Galpin is by far worse then vista ford
I will never have anything or buy anything from galpin.. They are crooks
Agree with buying anything for sure. Sat in meetings/training sessions about how to properly fark people. Galpin Plantation is the proper name.

Pat runs service the way it should be though.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Seems they would install a filter after the pump to prevent this from happening. Even a stainless screen of some sort

You would think, but the pressures coming off the HPFP are in excess of 29,000psi. You’d need a ductile iron can to contain those pressures, who knows what kind of filtration media you’d need that would hold up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Yea I’m no expert. Seems that they could possible do a completely enclosed filter in some sort of housing. Who know. Maybe a good challenge for an aftermarket company to come up with

CobraDave

Reaction score
Makes me want to stick to gas versus diesel.

rrrr

Reaction score

After the debacle of owning a 2008 6.4L F-250 for seven months then selling it, I was going to buy another diesel Excursion. I had already owned two 6.0 Exes that were trouble free but I had traded them in with less than 50K on the clock.

After considering the $1/gallon difference in fuel costs and the likelihood of expensive repairs on a 6.0, I decided to buy a V-10 model.

I found a 2001 4X4 Limited with 25K miles and paid $11K for it. Ten years later, it still runs great, and the only repairs have been an alternator replacement, A/C compressor, and plugs.

Dkahnjob

Reaction score
Hi All,
Thank you for the many thoughtful replies. Yes as some have stated the $9,500.00 price tag is to replace the entire fuel system, injectors, fuel rails, all lines, pump, and everything else.
The interesting thing is that I not only have the extended warranty from Ford but also have the extended maintenance plan from Ford as well and I had recently had it serviced at that same dealer and had not even driven enough to use a full tank of fuel since they had just serviced it.
The Service writer was a total itiot, all he wanted was the BIG service sale and he insisted that it had been mis fuelled. He said just turn it into your insurance and they will pay for it, meaning my auto vandalisim insurance. I have no intentions of doing that! I have had the truck towed back to my house now and am in no rush to deal with this. I don't drive the truck daily so time is my friend on this. I plan to throw the book at Ford and Vista for being dishonest.
Thanks again, I am following some of the leads you guys have given me.
Dave

robby dmax

Reaction score
Well if you you do the research you will see that GM went away from Bosch cp4 pump and went with Denso pump and injectors for the new L5P motor in the staring on 2017
Then I read that there maybe a class action lawsuit up against GM in over that pump failing

robby dmax

Reaction score
Hi All,
Thank you for the many thoughtful replies. Yes as some have stated the $9,500.00 price tag is to replace the entire fuel system, injectors, fuel rails, all lines, pump, and everything else.
The interesting thing is that I not only have the extended warranty from Ford but also have the extended maintenance plan from Ford as well and I had recently had it serviced at that same dealer and had not even driven enough to use a full tank of fuel since they had just serviced it.
The Service writer was a total itiot, all he wanted was the BIG service sale and he insisted that it had been mis fuelled. He said just turn it into your insurance and they will pay for it, meaning my auto vandalisim insurance. I have no intentions of doing that! I have had the truck towed back to my house now and am in no rush to deal with this. I don't drive the truck daily so time is my friend on this. I plan to throw the book at Ford and Vista for being dishonest.
Thanks again, I am following some of the leads you guys have given me.
Dave

Have you actually talked to Jeff the service Manager?

prosthogod

Reaction score
That fuel pump has been a known source of failure since the engine was designed. As you may have seen in another thread, I just had crank bearings sieze and blow out the bottom. Close to 18k total bill, but I only paid my $100 deductable for ford extended warranty. It had 111k when it blew. I asked them to replce the turbo , fuel pump, glow plugs, which are often the source of engine failures. They wouldn't do it, so I have 10K more in ford extended warranty, and 2 yrs on new engine and related parts. So, I plan on running the shit out of it so it blows again before warranty is up.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Well if you you do the research you will see that GM went away from Bosch cp4 pump and went with Denso pump and injectors for the new L5P motor in the staring on 2017
Then I read that there maybe a class action lawsuit up against GM in over that pump failing
They are also trying to assemble the same lawsuit against ford, and other manufacturers that used the Bosch CP4 pump. It’s not just the big diesel trucks from ford and Chevy, a single piston version of this pump (CP4.1) is used on the ram eco diesel and diesel grand Cherokee

Dkahnjob

Reaction score
Have you actually talked to Jeff the service Manager?
Yes, I did talk to Jeff Harkness, seemed like a nice guy but he was standing by his tech that said I had gasoline in the tank.
I don't! When we talked to the tech he first said he determined that there was gas by the code the computer threw, then when questioned further
he said he did a flash test, but when questioned he didn't know the critical temperature that you need to know for an accurate flash test.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
You would think, but the pressures coming off the HPFP are in excess of 29,000psi. You’d need a ductile iron can to contain those pressures, who knows what kind of filtration media you’d need that would hold up.

I'm not sure how small the particles of a pump failure are, but to get the waranty on the cutting head i run on my waterjet you have to run a debris screen ahead of the nozzle, the orifice diameter that this screen protects is only 0.014".... It runs at 45,000 PSI.

I would be calling ford or going to another dealer.

Last edited:

robby dmax

Reaction score
Yes, I did talk to Jeff Harkness, seemed like a nice guy but he was standing by his tech that said I had gasoline in the tank.
I don't! When we talked to the tech he first said he determined that there was gas by the code the computer threw, then when questioned further
he said he did a flash test, but when questioned he didn't know the critical temperature that you need to know for an accurate flash test.

I would ask to see the test sheet and see for yourself

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
This won't help you now, but I run 8 oz. of Optilube XPD every time I fill up my Duramax to keep the CP4 well lubed. I've used it since it's been deleted at 100,000 miles and now I've got over 235,000 miles on it with out any fuel pump issues (knock on wood).

robby dmax

Reaction score
This won't help you now, but I run 8 oz. of Optilube XPD every time I fill up my Duramax to keep the CP4 well lubed. I've used it since it's been deleted at 100,000 miles and now I've got over 235,000 miles on it with out any fuel pump issues (knock on wood).

I run the summer blend in mine isn't 8oz a lot? Is that what they recommend?

CLdrinker

Reaction score

This is exactly why I bought a gas truck. God I wanted a diesel, but my luck the first day out of warranty I would loose a fuel pump and be out big money.