WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2016 Yamaha SXS.....

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I agree. Put a reconfigured liter 200HP street bike motor in the thing and call it good. It isn't like they don't have the data to make that happen. Look what stealing the RD/Z motor did for them in the Banshee. Brilliant. 20 years later, it is still the benchmark bike to beat.
Hell ya! I gotta figure a R1 motor with a reconfigured trans would be a hell of a lot easier and cheaper to develop and produce than a completely new engine/tans.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
People have been putting superbike/literbike engines in Rhinos for years...and often they wind up for sale shortly after.

Lack of 4WD can be an issue for some, but the lack of torque makes driving them a bit tricky...SXS's are heavy.

Look at King sand cars, they haul ass (Hayabusa motors) but the trannies and clutches can take a beating, and these cars are much lighter than a typical SxS.

The better ones are like the Buckshot Bullet - a big V-Twin with torque.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I'm not talking about an engine swap sir. I am talking about an engine configured for the task based on current configurations. I thought that was clear.

If SB Products can build hybrid Banshees and hybrid Superjets and Polaris jet ski motors, I am sure Yami can pull it off. Otherwise maybe they will call me. :) I'll do it for them.

Brian

People have been putting superbike/literbike engines in Rhinos for years...and often they wind up for sale shortly after.

Lack of 4WD can be an issue for some, but the lack of torque makes driving them a bit tricky...SXS's are heavy.

Look at King sand cars, they haul ass (Hayabusa motors) but the trannies and clutches can take a beating, and these cars are much lighter than a typical SxS.

The better ones are like the Buckshot Bullet - a big V-Twin with torque.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
A clutch and geartrain can be designed and built to handle whatever weight/load it needs too. It isn't impossible.

Something tells me Yamaha has had enough years to do their homework. :)

pronstar

Reaction score
I was really surprised when the Teryx came out that they did nothing.

For sure.

The Teryx was pretty underwhelming, too. Good on paper, but not as superior to a Rhino as it could have been. And now, it's not even in the same conversation as the Polaris, Can-Am and (likely soon) new Rhino.

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score

Last edited by a moderator:

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
For sure.

The Teryx was pretty underwhelming, too. Good on paper, but not as superior to a Rhino as it could have been. And now, it's not even in the same conversation as the Polaris, Can-Am and (likely soon) new Rhino.

I don't know about that. Did you drive one?

When the Teryx came out, there was nothing on the market other than Yamaha and Kawasaki.

The Teryx obsoleted the Rhino like the Rhino obsoleted the golf cart.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
For sure.

I don't think this is called a Rhino is it?

I don't imagine they will stop making Rhinos, for the most part I imagine that unit is still heavily used for utility. Here in CA we seem to ignore the rest of the US. There is a whole 'nother world outside of libtardville.

pronstar

Reaction score
I don't know about that. Did you drive one?

When the Teryx came out, there was nothing on the market other than Yamaha and Kawasaki.

The Teryx obsoleted the Rhino like the Rhino obsoleted the golf cart.

Yup, a few friends had them.

Granted, my Rhino had some mods...bolt-ons other than a cam.

It always started with "your Rhino will never be able to keep up!"

But it always ended with "yeah, but you're not stock"

I never did get to try to run with a built Teryx...but I also didn't know anyone who had a built Teryx motor that ever "ran right" (or didn't grenade).

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Yup, a few friends had them.

Granted, my Rhino had some mods...bolt-ons other than a cam.

It always started with "your Rhino will never be able to keep up!"

But it always ended with "yeah, but you're not stock"

I never did get to try to run with a built Teryx...but I also didn't know anyone who had a built Teryx motor that ever "ran right" (or didn't grenade).

Well, sorry about your bad luck with your friends motor builders.

Probably good you didn't line up with a good one. :)

Brian

pronstar

Reaction score
Well, sorry about your bad luck with your friends motor builders.

Probably good you didn't line up with a good one. :)

Brian

The V-twin in a Teryx had all kinds of potential, that's for sure. My expectations may have been too high, but I thought for sure even a stock Teryx would obliterate my lowly 38-hp Rhino.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Any word on when dealerships will have them available?

HotRod82

Reaction score
I've always said to my sxs owning friends "if they ever make on that shifts I might consider it" ..... looks like I may have to join the dark side.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
We have a deposit on one. They say October maybe late Sept.

[video=youtube;I3hvzmqX63E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=82&v=I3hvzmqX63E[/video]

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Sold our Xp1000.
The guy paid cash, full asking price and I'm not looking back.

The Rzr Turbo though improved is disappointing, the high price and it's stripped down condition is ridiculous. We got our deposit back. We extensively drove it around the Dealers yard and street and it ran OK, but over all fell short of what we expected,, again.

The comparable, option equipped XYZ, (YXZ) will be $5K to $7K (more like $8K) cheaper when the dust settles and we have the options installed we want. We have 8% sales tax out here and the Rzr dealers hit you with a $1000 ($600 / $400) freight and set up charge too.
And my take is before the $2000 premium most Polaris dealers are asking.
I'm not getting any of this non sense with the Yamaha.

Plus the Yamaha has full doors, a roof and respectable lighting right off the showroom standard.

The Rzr Turbo will have a terrible resale value IMHO.
If anything those customers will take a bigger bath when they sell them.
They are too expensive to begin with and the Rzr Turbo and it's options are a big price out as far as I'm concerned.

If the wife wants an automatic and their is a big rebate going and the dealer will discount them further,, we'll consider a Rzr turbo for her and my girls.
But for now,, the Rzr turbo just too damn much money and they arrogantly feel they will get it.
It stings already paying $21K for the XYZ (YXZ).

Jus' my rant.
Makes me feel better to convince myself of this.

My Rzr S never once had a full day of riding.
Spent most the season in the shop or on the back of the trailer.

The XP 1000 OK but the shocks gave a lousy ride, correcting the shocks would be $4500+ and even then some serious complaints from others who did this, should have had more power on top all that.
Nahh, no regrets, buying the XYZ (YXZ) cold turkey and have good expectations.

I have a feeling just juice it's computer and un-plug it and it'll be a screamer.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I asked Suspension Ed last weekend if he has driven the Yamaha yet. Said this week dealers will have them and He is going to demo 1. I have always been a Yamaha Guy and can not wait to see how it performs.

I think you made the right choice TPC.

thmterry

Reaction score
I just watched an asphalt race between a built non turbo RZR1000 (105hp) and a new YXZ with a DASA exhaust and the Yamaha spanked the RZR/

Its on a FB page that wont let you share:(

FB page Yamaha YXZ Addicts

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Nice fit and finish:
GS15CXF.jpg

Excellent seats:
M4WnF9n.jpg

Full Doors included in the price:
NoFRtvQ.jpg

VSHTezV.jpg

This motor has a good history of turbo charging.
b5exkPi.jpg

thmterry

Reaction score
[video=youtube_https;yQda4hlLxWQ]https://youtu.be/yQda4hlLxWQ[/video]

Reactions: TPC

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
[video=youtube_https;yQda4hlLxWQ]https://youtu.be/yQda4hlLxWQ[/video]

It's probably as fast at the Turbo. With uncorking and an competition ECU it certainly will be.

G. Faulk

Reaction score
Seen and sat in one this weekend, very impressive. Tried to get the dealer to let me test drive, she looked at me and said no way.:D:D