WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2018 KTM 500, what's it worth

Cray Paper

Reaction score
I bought a new 2018 KTM 500 Exc-f after finalizing my divorce. Before picking it up I had it geared down and a smog delete kit put on it it. I have barley ridden it in the past couple of years and am wondering what its worth. it has about 30 hours on it and less than 60 miles. What's it worth and what's the best way to advertise it? CL, offer up? I removed all the street legal lighting BS as I only intended to ride it off road but didn't ride it. What is it worth?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Where are you located? Do you still have all the street legal stuff?

If in CA, does it have a green or red sticker?

Do you have a street licence plate for it?

Reactions: TPC

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
The EXC model comes street legal from the factory so it should have a plate. Cool bikes and tons of fun off-road not so great on the street new they are about 12k so I’m guessing around 9-10k for a 2018.

outboard_256

Reaction score
Not sure what your asking. But how much do you want for it?

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
Removing all the street legal bs drops the price as most people want the 500 because it's a street legal dual sport. I would put the lights back on it, clean it up real nice and sell on CL for 9 or 10k depending on miles and how clean it is. It will sell fast

white tortilla

Reaction score
I sold a 2017 husky 500 with some decent mods for 8k a couple months ago. But it was ridden hard and put away wet. I’d think you killed the value of the lights are gone as @Dan Lorenze saod you really only buy that bike for the street legal capability. If u put lights back on and it’s clean your probably in 8-9k range.

SixD9R

Reaction score
I’ve just sold some stuff on CL and actually had pretty good luck. Yes I got a few spam messages asking for my address that they will send a check to but after weeding those out I got 2 decent people to buy the stuff I was selling.

One comment, something doesn’t sound right with the miles and hours noted. 30 hours and less than 60 miles would be less than 2 miles per hour on average.

Good luck with the sale!

f12517

Reaction score
Removing all the street legal bs drops the price as most people want the 500 because it's a street legal dual sport. I would put the lights back on it, clean it up real nice and sell on CL for 9 or 10k depending on miles and how clean it is. It will sell fast

This right here. I have a 2014 500exc. I bought it specifically for the plate and lights. I would offer you less for your bike without the dot lights and plate vs what I’d offer if it was fully kitted.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Are all the pieces available to make a super motard out of this bike?

DLC

Reaction score
Sounds like you just want to get rid of your bike!

I’ll be happy to take it off your hands and just toss all that ugly street legal gobble goop in and box!

I’ll take one for the team!
This is what fellow RDP inmates do…..

kiethco

Reaction score
6-8k. If you dont have the lights and blinkers, not that much.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I recently sold my 2014 500 in one day for 7k. List your 17 for 9 or 10k and see what happens. One of the best reasons to buy a 500 exc is the resale value, it's gotta be one of the easiest motorcycles to sell used.

Cray Paper

Reaction score
The bike has 52 miles on it and about 4 hours of run time. I removed the stuff that allows it to be street legal but still have it all along with the stock tires, seat, chain / sprockets and emissions crap. I'm in Everette WA so posting it RDP's classified doesn't make a lot of sense. I'm about to put it on CL in Seattle. He are a couple of pics.

9500.00 seems reasonable in todays market. Im going to ask 10K OBO in my local market. Bike is brand new and has a grand worth of stuff on it.

Attachments

• IMG_8874.JPG
    IMG_8874.JPG
    275.9 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_8954.JPG
    IMG_8954.JPG
    218.6 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_8953.JPG
    IMG_8953.JPG
    283.1 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_8955.JPG
    IMG_8955.JPG
    234 KB · Views: 106

Cray Paper

Reaction score
This right here. I have a 2014 500exc. I bought it specifically for the plate and lights. I would offer you less for your bike without the dot lights and plate vs what I’d offer if it was fully kitted.
I have the smog delete BS along with the lighting and license plate frame stuff and can put it back on with a full price offer. Also have the the stock tires and gearing with zero miles.. comes with the bike.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Yes, totally...

When I bought my V-Rod, the other option for me was a KTM Super Motard.

Kinna glad I went with the V-Rod, cause it ended up being my freeway commuter for a few years.

I haven't ridden it for awhile, but I just got it all cleaned up to go riding with @OCMerrill son.

That 500 in a Super Motard config would be pretty bad azz I'm thinking.

20210925_155353.jpg

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
[QUOTE="rivermobster, post: 4257639, member: 3768"

[/QUOTE]

Some guys are really into it. But the 500 is really not that comfortable to ride on the street. I actually don't like riding my 500 on the street at all, there are so many better street bikes that are better for carving up the canyons.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Some guys are really into it. But the 500 is really not that comfortable to ride on the street. I actually don't like riding my 500 on the street at all, there are so many better street bikes that are better for carving up the canyons.
[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the 300 with a Baja kit, but I don't think that's even an option anymore these days.

I miss my Nighthawk 700. That was a Super fun bike! It was kinnna sorta a SM bike, before anyone had heard that term. (with the small front and big rear tires). 😊

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score

I was thinking the 300 with a Baja kit, but I don't think that's even an option anymore these days.

I miss my Nighthawk 700. That was a Super fun bike! It was kinnna sorta a SM bike, before anyone had heard that term. (with the small front and big rear tires). 😊
[/QUOTE]

It would be really tough to get a CA plate for anything these days regardless of a baja kit. But you can do an AZ plate for a 300 pretty easy with an AZ address.
Nighthawk's were awesome back in the day. I just sold my FZ-09, what a great little bike that was. I miss it. I have an 890 adventure R KTM, such a great all around bike. The only thing I'm missing is a long travel bike, and for that I want to get the new Harley Pan America.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

It would be really tough to get a CA plate for anything these days regardless of a baja kit. But you can do an AZ plate for a 300 pretty easy with an AZ address.
Nighthawk's were awesome back in the day. I just sold my FZ-09, what a great little bike that was. I miss it. I have an 890 adventure R KTM, such a great all around bike. The only thing I'm missing is a long travel bike, and for that I want to get the new Harley Pan America.
[/QUOTE]

I had to look that up. Never heard of that bike before! Who makes the engine? Did they use Porsche, like they did for the V-Rod? Or did Harley finally go liquid cooled all on their own?

Bitchen bike...

"2021 Pan America 1250 | Harley-Davidson USA" https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/motorcycles/pan-america-1250.html

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score

I had to look that up. Never heard of that bike before! Who makes the engine? Did they use Porsche, like they did for the V-Rod? Or did Harley finally go liquid cooled all on their own?

Bitchen bike...

"2021 Pan America 1250 | Harley-Davidson USA" https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/motorcycles/pan-america-1250.html
[/QUOTE]

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score

Bitchen bike...

[/QUOTE]

It's funny, everyone (including myself) poo poo'd this bike, saying that HD should just give up. But they went ahead anyway.. They hired the right engineers and built the Pan America. They are made in Milwaukee, the engines are made right here in the USA. And every review on YouTube says the bike is a totally winner. Harley came up with some ground breaking technologies like self adjusting valves and "Adaptive right height" which automatically lowers the bike when you come to a stop. And, it's really not a heavy pig either. I totally want one. One day I will have one.

XX14

Reaction score

Some guys are really into it. But the 500 is really not that comfortable to ride on the street. I actually don't like riding my 500 on the street at all, there are so many better street bikes that are better for carving up the canyons.[/QUOTE]

I second this. I have a 2019 500 EXCF with a set of warp 9 supermoto wheels. It’s fun in the twisters but getting there isn’t much fun. Top speed is around 85-90. There are definitely better choices for the road like a Ducati Hypermotard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

I second this. I have a 2019 500 EXCF with a set of warp 9 supermoto wheels. It’s fun in the twisters but getting there isn’t much fun. Top speed is around 85-90. There are definitely better choices for the road like a Ducati Hypermotard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
[/QUOTE]

Ducati...

*drools*

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score

[/QUOTE]

When I worked at Lebard and Underwood Honda in La Habra back in 1983-1984 we had to push bikes out front daily and they still do whoever owns the dealership now. Nighthawks everywhere. New, used didnt matter sold every one is stock in just a few days. That bike, the 200x and the 250R three wheelers kept that dealer alive.

Cray Paper

Reaction score
Posted it on Seattle's CL, I'll see what happens. These things are not a necessity and only appeals to a very specific person so it might take some time or I might change my mind. After my divorce I wanted to take on some debt to keep my credit rating as all of my long term accounts were paid off / taken over . Still owe about 1500.00 on it with a small credit union, wont hurt to just let it ride for the tiny monthly payment.

Cray Paper

Reaction score
The CL ad costs 5.00, seems to have cut down on the spam but several people have responded with " hey, would you take 8K, I can pick it up tomorrow"

I have a 2005 Yamaha 230 TTR offered at 2100.00 on CL also, and getting the same type of responses. If your interested, schedule a viewing then pick it apart and get the best deal you can negotiate in person. The 30 +/- email responses start out with " hey, I'm interested but would you take 1800.00 for it"

WTF? I dont understand how people can can ask to knock off 30% of the asking price before they even see / ride it he bike.

Cray Paper

Reaction score
Sold it for 10K to the first person that looked at it. I gal bought it for her boyfriend, when I talked to her on the phone I thought she was younger and suggested she might want to reconsider doing this, you never know how things turn out in relationships. She laughed and said thankyou for your concern but she was not as young as I thought (47) and her and her boyfriend are engaged and he didn't know she was buying it for him. She asked me to play along with her story, she had his best friend ask him to look at the bike him to buy, she said if he liked it, she would pull him aside and tell him she was buying it for him. It was a little awkward, I didn't know his friends name and he asked me right off the bat how many times I had talked to "Jim" and if I had told him what all was included with the bike.

When his girlfreind told him it was for him, he kept saying NO, but his girlfriend finally said " look Sargent, this isn't your decision and your getting the bike, and your going to like it". She was awesome, quite and calm grace yet firm, she must have military or police background also.

The other bike sold to first person looking at it also, a mid 20's Russian kid named Emil. he was kind of flaky, was an hour late, road a street bike to my house to look at it then right when he introduced himself said he had to call his wife, her name was Lilly. She pleaded with him to not buy it because they didn't have room for it. He was a smooth talker and got off the phone with a grudgingly approving wife.

He asked if I could drop it off at a friends house 15 minutes away, I said sure, just make sure you have cash. He texted me the address and said the house has a long driveway and is hard to find. I said go get your money and I'll meet you there. He texted me 10 minutes later that he could only get 800.00 from his banks ATM and had to run home to get the rest. I'm sitting there thinking WTF? Am I being set up? Planning to rob me or sending me to a place and then breaking in to my house?? I put my 357 revolver in the truck, loaded the bike and told him ill meet him there, bring cash.

It all worked out with no incidents, sold 2 bikes today to the first people that looked at them. I normally trust people, and today trusting people paid off.